philcric

16 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

they had aggy sri zak and nehraji all preparing for wc ,patel was not in the scheme of things for wc

Patel was getting noticed around year 2000.

Could have been in the scheme of things to form a pool of pacers.

By the way.... Srinath, Zaheer, Nehra and Agarkar did form a quick and skilled attack in 2001-2003  era.

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

Patel was getting noticed around year 2000.

Could have been in the scheme of things to form a pool of pacers.

By the way.... Srinath, Zaheer, Nehra and Agarkar did form a quick and skilled attack in 2001-2003  era.

That was quite a strong bowling attack. I mean strong as in world class. So, getting a chance would be tough

6 hours ago, express bowling said:

Rakesh Patel was a very international-type pace.

Had a strong bowling action, bowled with effort and got the ball to fly through to the keeper.

He had a very good out-swinger too and did not spray the ball.

I don't know why he was never picked for India.

Rakesh Patel had a very good bowling action.He really should have been selected when he was in good rhythm

51 minutes ago, tweaker said:

Rakesh Patel had a very good bowling action.He really should have been selected when he was in good rhythm

He should go cry in his beer along with the likes of Pravin Amre, Amol Mazumdar and the ghost of Padmakar Shivalkar. 

And curse out the likes of Jacob Martin, Debang Gandhi, and David Johnson. 

Edit: Shivalkar is still alive. Sorry about that.

Edited by sandeep
14 hours ago, sandeep said:

He should go cry in his beer along with the likes of Pravin Amre, Amol Mazumdar and the ghost of Padmakar Shivalkar. 

And curse out the likes of Jacob Martin, Debang Gandhi, and David Johnson. 

Edit: Shivalkar is still alive. Sorry about that.

you cant curse them to, dont know about Johnson but Gandhi and Martin were piling on the runs in domestic cricket when they got selected.

43 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

like most ind cricketers dhoni never had any passion for quicker bowlers ,he was just interested if they had the numbers and since most of the bowling had to be done by spinners ........  he wasn't much different than most other ind captains ,how many ind captains ever backed quicker bowlers ? and quicker bowlers could be a bit erratic and injury prone so you need to be a bit patient and careful with them but that will only come if you like them.

Kind of wrong argument. Ishant , Yadav even after being mediocre played for long.

Dennis Lillee and TA Sekhar need to get a lot of credit but they have done a lot at the ground level unfortunately 

Sad that neither Kapil or Srinath have hung around to groom young bowlers...Srinath atleast played the mentors role in his final days as an international cricketer even though did nothing after he retired...Kapil the less said the better...Hope Zak will be that mentor that will help take this talent to the next level.

2 hours ago, maniac said:

Dennis Lillee and TA Sekhar need to get a lot of credit but they have done a lot at the ground level unfortunately 

Sad that neither Kapil or Srinath have hung around to groom young bowlers...Srinath atleast played the mentors role in his final days as an international cricketer even though did nothing after he retired...Kapil the less said the better...Hope Zak will be that mentor that will help take this talent to the next level.

It is easy to say Kapil did not mentor without knowing what transpired and what kind  of communication existed between Kapil Dev and others. Chetan sharma did okay when kapil was around.Zaheer mentored Ishant and  how did that go for both Ishant and India.When Akram could learn from Kapil Dev why couldn't Srinath do the same.

As Akram said it is not my job to go and give advice to youngsters, they need to come to me for advice.Akram also said when he was youngster he would go and ask anyone and everyone who he thought could help him.

1 hour ago, MultiB48 said:

yadav played 10 tests in 3 years under dhoni and got 40 wkts ,its kohli who has backed him after not taking enough wkts

He played lot of Odis under dhoni. He was not selected for tests and was injured for England tests in 2012. Yadav was spray gun and still can be sometimes. I am sure many people agree here.

5 hours ago, gattaca said:

He played lot of Odis under dhoni. He was not selected for tests and was injured for England tests in 2012. Yadav was spray gun and still can be sometimes. I am sure many people agree here.

Nope dont agree..

Yadav was fit but wasnt even selected for 2014 eng tour and was marked as ofi bowler when everyone knew him as more of test match bowler.

nd who can forget selecting unadkat ahead of Yadav in Africa when both were in squad.

I dont agree with people when they say MSD didnt select fast bowlers as he wanted to save his fingers but i do think that MSD was comfortable with spinners than pacers like lots of other indian captains.

i feel Kohli is first captain who understands what pace can do in tests.

2 minutes ago, Oldhere said:

Nope dont agree..

Yadav was fit but wasnt even selected for 2014 eng tour and was marked as ofi bowler when everyone knew him as more of test match bowler.

nd who can forget selecting unadkat ahead of Yadav in Africa when both were in squad.

I dont agree with people when they say MSD didnt select fast bowlers as he wanted to save his fingers but i do think that MSD was comfortable with spinners than pacers like lots of other indian captains.

i feel Kohli is first captain who understands what pace can do in tests.

2012 test series he was injured. The problem is   Yadav was erratic no consistency in bowling a plan. 

Edited by gattaca
4 minutes ago, gattaca said:

2012 test series he was injured. The problem is   Yadav was erratic no consistency in bowling a plan. 

We can agree to disagree here but in my opinion that is where captains support comes in..

Yadav was erratic but bowlers like him, aaron, shami were never given matches on trot to learn whereas Ishant was selected continuously.

Also, i might be wrong here but Yadav wasnt injured for 2014 tour infact wasnt selected.

3 hours ago, Oldhere said:

We can agree to disagree here but in my opinion that is where captains support comes in..

Yadav was erratic but bowlers like him, aaron, shami were never given matches on trot to learn whereas Ishant was selected continuously.

Also, i might be wrong here but Yadav wasnt injured for 2014 tour infact wasnt selected.

Aaron has barely played 9 ODIs in 6 years. 9 tests sporadically.

Fast bowlers need nurturing and captains play a vital role in development of fast bowlers. They need to be patted and should be treated with kid gloves.

Dhoni never had patience nor understanding about fast bowlers. If anyone has any doubts about his captaincy go and watch 2013 Joburg test where he had no clue on what was going on,this is the guy who publicly admonished his fast bowler rather than backing him to hilt.

I am so glad that Kohli wants fast bowlers to be major part of his team and is willing to do anything. Kohli's statement about Shami being best in world would give Shami such a boost of confidence.Fast bowlers will run thru walls for captains who back them.

Edited by putrevus
1 hour ago, putrevus said:

Fast bowlers need nurturing and captains play a vital role in development of fast bowlers. They need to be patted and should be treated with kid gloves.

Dhoni never had patience nor understanding about fast bowlers. If anyone has any doubts about his captaincy go and watch 2013 Joburg test where he had no clue on what was going on,this is the guy who publicly admonished his fast bowler rather than backing him to hilt.

I am so glad that Kohli wants fast bowlers to be major part of his team and is willing to do anything. Kohli's statement about Shami being best in world would give Shami such a boost of confidence.Fast bowlers will run thru walls for captains who back them.

But will they jump from 24th floor if asked to like Ishant Sharma?