What would be your All time Asia ODI XI

1 hour ago, BeautifulGame said:

No one's picking Aravinda De Silva ? Very underrated odi batsman and big game player as well.

Sachin

Jayasuriya

Kohli

Desilva

Jayawardene

MS Dhoni emoji767.png

Kapil

Imran

Wasim

Muralitharan

Malinga

Only doubt for me would be between Miandad and Jayawardene but tipped for Jayawardene for him big game temperament.

Shouldn't Waqar be ahead of Malinga or Imran? 

Shouldn't Waqar be ahead of Malinga or Imran? 
When picking All time XIs I always prefer one who has performed in world cups .Because otherwise most of them are individually great bowlers anyway.

So with Waqar , He missed 1992 with injury , got carted around in 96 QF, dropped for 99 and struggled badly in 2003 WC.

That takes a lot of gloss of his record for me particularly when it comes to picking world XIs.

Also we already have Malinga who is a great death bowler and and have Akram as well .

So Imran as new ball first change bowler ,made more sense for me along with the added batting depth as bonus.
53 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

When picking All time XIs I always prefer one who has performed in world cups .Because otherwise most of them are individually great bowlers anyway.

So with Waqar , He missed 1992 with injury , got carted around in 96 QF, dropped for 99 and struggled badly in 2003 WC.

That takes a lot of gloss of his record for me particularly when it comes to picking world XIs.

Also we already have Malinga who is a great death bowler and and have Akram as well .

So Imran as new ball first change bowler ,made more sense for me along with the added batting depth as bonus.

what has Imran done as a bowler in WC?

world cups are a factor, cannot be decisive factors, because they usually represent < 10% of the player's career ODI matches for most players.

Imran the ODI bowler is simply not as good as Waqar the ODI bowler. Sure, Waqar had some bad luck and lows during world cups, but in ODIs, he was a true great, no question. Imran was just one of the many 'extremely good but not great' ODI bowlers of his time.

Also, Imran the captain is a bit overrated. Simply because, Imran, while a tactically astute captain, excelled at instructing his bowlers what to do. In any such hypothetical matches, Imran's captaincy loses a lot of lusture. He isn't exactly gonna instruct a peak Wasim/Murali on how to bowl the next ball and if he does, he will be rightly told to shove it. Imran wasn't exactly the loveable bro to the vets in the team either. 

Kapil, IMO was a better leader of seasoned vets that way because of his more cavalier 'you got this, we got this, lets get this' attitude. 

world cups are a factor, cannot be decisive factors, because they usually represent Imran the ODI bowler is simply not as good as Waqar the ODI bowler. Sure, Waqar had some bad luck and lows during world cups, but in ODIs, he was a true great, no question. Imran was just one of the many 'extremely good but not great' ODI bowlers of his time.

Also, Imran the captain is a bit overrated. Simply because, Imran, while a tactically astute captain, excelled at instructing his bowlers what to do. In any such hypothetical matches, Imran's captaincy loses a lot of lusture. He isn't exactly gonna instruct a peak Wasim/Murali on how to bowl the next ball and if he does, he will be rightly told to shove it. Imran wasn't exactly the loveable bro to the vets in the team either. 

Kapil, IMO was a better leader of seasoned vets that way because of his more cavalier 'you got this, we got this, lets get this' attitude. 

10% 5% of career doesn't matter.

It is the biggest arena for cricket and performing in world cup matters a lot more than bilateral series.

And that is not just for cricket.But in most sports.
17 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

10% 5% of career doesn't matter.

It is the biggest arena for cricket and performing in world cup matters a lot more than bilateral series.

And that is not just for cricket.But in most sports.

No, in most team sports, overall picture matters when comparing hall of famers. And as people pointed out, Imran wasn't exactly a God in the world cup stage. His world cup bowling record is pretty much two crappy world cups, one great world cup and one where he didn't bowl. 

Sounds more and more like '1 month of career' making the argument. 

2 hours ago, Lannister said:

Jayasurya

Sachin

Kohli (C)

Sangakkara (W)

Yuvi

Kapil

Afridi

Imran

Waqar

Murali

Wasim

Too many pakistanis, the bottle topper phateechar khan doesn't deserve to be picked even in a gully XI, I am not a big fan of dhoni too but it is criminal to pick sanga and bottle topper khan and not dhoni.

3 hours ago, kira said:

Too many pakistanis, the bottle topper phateechar khan doesn't deserve to be picked even in a gully XI, I am not a big fan of dhoni too but it is criminal to pick sanga and bottle topper khan and not dhoni.

I've always liked to have 6 bowlers, mostly because how weak our bowlers have been, constantly giving away 300+ scores and unable to defend huge scores. I am just going on a reputation here as I have never seen them bowl. 

Sangakkara is more suited to bat at 4 than Dhoni.