Sachin Tendulkar v Virat Kohli - who is better ODI batsman?

Who is better ODI batsman?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better ODI batsman?

Sachin has also been part of some of the most shameful losses  both formats 

From the top of mind recall: 

100 and 66 all out in SA

96 WC SF

Test series loss in WI where Ind failed to chase a low total 

Home series loss to SA 

07 WC exit 

Tests is a team game. But batting can help to make a team to avoid losses / put the team in a spot where it can not lose. For a team that played with some of its best batsmen, we have lost a lot more than what we would have liked 

:no:

38 minutes ago, velu said:

if other batsmen does better than kohli , it really doesnt mean kohli is bad ..

what makes kohli apart from others is that kohli consistently scored everywhere ..

on flat roads , definitely rohit is better than kohli .. but overall when batting gets tough , we can bank on kohli than rohit

Oh velu, i didnt say kohli did bad. It meant kohli good and dhawan & rohit were better.

Sure you can bank on Kohli. it is largely true. But not having these expectations is a good thing and maybe thats why dhawan and rohit play freely.

1 minute ago, Nonbeliever said:

You have not watched sachin's career then.  Even 90 againt australia in 1996 world cup was better.

I have watched Sachin from his debut till his retirement. Your view may differ from mine.175 was better for his pacing of his innings and he was chasing huge score and he had no support. 90 you are taking he was going full blast and he got out stumped off a wide.

98 against Pakistan also was same thing , he was going full blast , there was no pacing of his innings.

4 minutes ago, velu said:

anyway this topic is never gonna end until kohli retires :lol: 

kohli fans undermining sachin and sachin fans undermining kohli will continue ..

anyway we are lucky to fight for the batsmen like sachin , dhoni ,  kohli  etc  :p: 

Kohli fans were Sachin fans first.Kohli being better than Sachin should not undermine Sachin.Sachin was better than Sunny , Kohli is better than Sachin.It is natural progression given how batting in India has evolved.

8 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I have watched Sachin from his debut till his retirement. Your view may differ from mine.175 was better for his pacing of his innings and he was chasing huge score and he had no support. 90 you are taking he was going full blast and he got out stumped off a wide.

98 against Pakistan also was same thing , he was going full blast , there was no pacing of his innings.

You cannot pace your inings when fixers at other end are striking at 50 sr.  1996 sachin was playing against teammates also.

Edited by Nonbeliever
37 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

At this point of time, Kohli is not the greatest ODI batsmen. at-least not when looked at icc events and WC. There are plenty of batsmen who've stood up to the challenge and delivered it for their teams. From Viv Richards (IMO the greatest), Steve Waugh, de-silva, Tendulkar & Ponting, Steven Smith to come up with a few.

IMO, Until Kohli establishes his name on an World cup like these great gentlemen above it is quite early to confer the tag.

Steve Waugh is one of the worst odi batsman and you are saying he is better than Kohli. We don't need to discuss any further. 

3 minutes ago, putrevus said:

desert storm > 175 vs aussies  .. 

watched him from 1996 ..  everyone liked sachin for his aggressive batting , like  desert storms  ..

he controlled his aggressive batting and started respecting his wicket more in 2000s with few exceptions .. 

kohli can never be an aggressor like sachin , but kohli is damn good in manipulating the field that  he dont need to be really aggressive  .. 

In terms of talent, Sachin, along with Gavaskar who had his own strengths that shine in tests, is the best batsman from Ind. You only have to see the 6s that he hit of Qadir in his debut series. Or how he smashed Akram at Sharjah in early 90s when he used to bat down the order .... even Bradman said at that time that he bats closest to him 

However, as in most professions, being the most talented is not the sole parameter in cricket

Edited by zen
8 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Steve Waugh is one of the worst odi batsman and you are saying he is better than Kohli. We don't need to discuss any further. 

Out of everyone in the list, you conveniently pick one guy :laugh:.

Steve Waugh saved his country from certain defeat in not once but twice against SA in 1999 by scoring a 100(a must win to ensure Aus go to semi while chasing) and a 50 while batting 1st in arguably the greatest ODI game ever played in a semi.

And that Saffers bowling attack was world class for its time.

Get a grip, dude.

Edited by Stan AF
21 minutes ago, velu said:

anyway this topic is never gonna end until kohli retires :lol: 

kohli fans undermining sachin and sachin fans undermining kohli will continue ..

anyway we are lucky to fight for the batsmen like sachin , dhoni ,  kohli  etc  :p: 

Actually Both fail to see that there are many others who have done well.

1 minute ago, velu said:

desert storm > 175 vs aussies  .. 

watched him from 1996 ..  everyone liked sachin for his aggressive batting , like  desert storms  ..

he controlled his aggressive batting and started respecting his wicket more in 2000s with few exceptions .. 

kohli can never be an aggressor like sachin , but kohli is damn good in manipulating the field that  he dont need to be really aggressive  .. 

If sachin had taken singles like kohli player at other end would have played all balls without scoring a single.  It changed only after 1999.

14 hours ago, VT87 said:

If England attack is so mediocre  then why your Rahul  shitting in his pant twice  in every  match

What do you mean by your Rahul he is not my son. He has been rightly kicked out after non performance. Looks like you take it personal if someone say something to kohli . As i mentioned before by kohli is on the verge of becoming GOAT in odi and ATG in test by the time he retired he can be greatest ever in terms of stats from India. But the sheer hope/expectation and joy which sachin created among fans with mediocre indian team during 90s  no one else can create.when we used to be whipping boys of most of the countries (even sl and zim used to kicked us occasionaly) By the time kohli came in to picture we were already well established team. BTW i was responding to a post who is talking as if Sachin is chadrakant pandit while compared to kohli.

14 hours ago, velu said:

typical mentality to discredit kohli & other players to make it sachin look better ..

sachins centuries in wc.. 

2 vs kenya

1 vs lanka

1 vs namibia

1 vs england

1 vs sa

Did you even read my post the centuries i  mentioned was in test matches. BTW  coming to odi wc he still have 3 centuries against good team he also have sevral 50s against good team, he was highest scorer from India in 92 wc as teenager , highest scorer in 96 and 2003 wc and also second/ third highest in terms of scoring in 99 and 2011 wc. Also according to you against kenya and namibia he should have got out first ball in wc according. And Kenya  was good team at one point of time reached in wc sf also whipped india in odi on couple of occasion.

1 hour ago, raki05 said:

Did you even read my post the centuries i  mentioned was in test matches. BTW  coming to odi wc he still have 3 centuries against good team he also have sevral 50s against good team, he was highest scorer from India in 92 wc as teenager , highest scorer in 96 and 2003 wc and also second/ third highest in terms of scoring in 99 and 2011 wc. Also according to you against kenya and namibia he should have got out first ball in wc according. And Kenya  was good team at one point of time reached in wc sf also whipped india in odi on couple of occasion.

bro .. was replying to Nonbeliever 

i replied to his post that he sarcastically meant that scoring 100s in wc is easy these days ( which itself a reply to someone else ....... )imho kohli is unparalleled when comes to scoring centuries without taking any risks , not even sachin comes closer to him..

i agree that sachin is more talented than kohli , but kohli is far ahead of him in  using his own abilities..

34 minutes ago, velu said:

bro .. was replying to Nonbeliever 

i replied to his post that he sarcastically meant that scoring 100s in wc is easy these days ( which itself a reply to someone else ....... )imho kohli is unparalleled when comes to scoring centuries without taking any risks , not even sachin comes closer to him..

i agree that sachin is more talented than kohli , but kohli is far ahead of him in  using his own abilities..

Completely agreed. No matter what kind of bowler or pitch condition is maintaining an average more than 100 in entire year is something unheard of.