How India eats - Veg & Non Veg

BeautifulGame

8 hours ago, Vilander said:

In TN only some of bramins( iyer/iyengar) and certain hindu casts like saiva vellalar/pillai/mudhaliar ( <3-4% ) are vegetarian, rest are all NV, even in the veg folks most current gen eat poultary/fish. The percentage of red meat eaters though if they did a research will be lower as thats really restricted to lamb/goat/pork..some fringe beef but limited.

Even most Iyer/Iyengar/Saiva Vellalar friends I know converted in no-veg in college lol.

Veggies simply can't survive here :cantstop:

8 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Agree, I was one of those who became non veg in NA due to being lazy and tired of looking for veg food. Back in India, I didnt feel like eating non veg for 2 years. People craving for meat in India , I feel they crave for the cuisine, the base , the masala, the veg food you get in India is equally palatable as the meat alternative.

It's like a style statement if you eat meat in India. Many vegetarian parents but their children eat meat outside. Whereas, if you are outside India, and are vegetarian there, most likely you will stay vegetarian for rest of life. As the curiosity factor is gone.

Agree, I was one of those who became non veg in NA due to being lazy and tired of looking for veg food. Back in India, I didnt feel like eating non veg for 2 years. People craving for meat in India , I feel they crave for the cuisine, the base , the masala, the veg food you get in India is equally palatable as the meat alternative.
When I craved for meat, I craved only for meat. Not the masala base and stuff. I craved for the feeling of that texture in my mouth, the flavor of it's juices. No veggie can replace that.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Veggie always 

Now a days my traveling has increased. Last month traveled for 2 weeks on the west coast (Seattle, SFC, Sacramento area, LA, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg). This month, I will be in Europe (Ger, Czech, Hungary and Holland) for 2 weeks. Finding veggie items can be hard in some restaurants but usually there is always something in the menu to get you through  the day! 

Many times, I get asked questions about being a vegetarian (like have always been one, how do I get my proteins, etc) by those having lunch / dinner with me. Many have said they would give a shot at becoming vegetarians too 

2 hours ago, velu said:

2 years i was avoiding non-veg and egg .. got anemic :sad:

now i take eggs almost everyday and take chicken/fish 2/3 times a month ( whenever i booze ) 

My hemoglobin has always been close to the upper limit at ~17 grams per unit on pure veg. diet.

4 hours ago, randomGuy said:

My hemoglobin has always been close to the upper limit at ~17 grams per unit on pure veg. diet.

my WBC count is on the upper though .. fighter blood :bandit:

our food is not balanced .. veg or non-veg , north or south 

On 11/10/2017 at 11:27 PM, BeautifulGame said:

Even most Iyer/Iyengar/Saiva Vellalar friends I know converted in no-veg in college lol.

Veggies simply can't survive here :cantstop:

I don't understand why NVs take such pride when they coerce/convert a Veg friend to eat NV. They are like  love-jihadis who think it is their stairway to heaven when they get one to convert. What's the deal with that? (all tongue-in-cheek :-)) 

Am one of those who got converted, btw! 

Edited by coffee_rules

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

I don't understand why NVs take such pride when they coerce/convert a Veg friend to eat NV. They are like  love-jihadis who think it is their stairway to heaven when they get one to convert. What's the deal with that? (all tongue-in-cheek :-)) 

Am one of those who got converted, btw! 

good on them maan..the food is awesome in the other side.

22 minutes ago, beetle said:

Iam a vegetarian and have always been borderline anaemic , even with supplements.

That's a women specific issue...Many of my female relatives are borderline anaemic...both vegetarians and non-vegetarian....the non-vegetarian one, most deficient.

Edited by randomGuy

5 hours ago, randomGuy said:

That's a women specific issue...Many of my female relatives are borderline anaemic...both vegetarians and non-vegetarian....the non-vegetarian one, most deficient.

indian non-veg peoples meat per capita consumption will be very low..

dont think taking 100-200gm of meat per weaek makes any difference 

1 hour ago, velu said:

indian non-veg peoples meat per capita consumption will be very low..

That is there, but 100-200 gm per week is still a significant amount imo.

the deficiency doesn't have to do with non-veg./veg. Eastern India, where everybody is a non-veg. eater has greatest percentage of anemic women https://m.timesofindia.com/india/59-Indian-women-are-anaemic-Study/articleshow/46589333.cms

And most of your wrestlers, kabaddi players etc. come from vegetarian part of the country. 

On 11/11/2017 at 11:59 AM, zen said:

Finding veggie items can be hard in some restaurants but usually there is always something in the menu to get you through  the day! 

To illustrate, the hotel I m staying at today has a menu like this: http://www.schlosshotel-kassel.de/en/gastronomy/restaurant/ 

There are mainly non veg items but I was able to get by with the vegetarian risotto and wine :drum: