Vijay Shankar (Batting Pacer Allrounder) - Performance Watch thread

2 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

He is a proper no 4 bat. Not just for ODI, but also for Test. Like I said before, as this kid grows in confidence, he will only become better. He is a nervous starter.

Lets only treat him as a batsman, rather than a bowler. If he can manage 4-5 decent overs, thats a plus.

and thats the job of 6th bowler to and till jadhav is their he even has that cushion , if given right condition even a bowler like shankar can be handy 

3 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Kedar Jadhav is the only power hitter in this squad. Others struggle to play cameos.

As soon as Jadeja started blocking, I thought its over. Expecting a young kid on debut to carry the weight of pensioners is unfair. Pensioners are overweight

38 minutes ago, mishra said:

As soon as Jadeja started blocking, I thought its over. Expecting a young kid on debut to carry the weight of pensioners is unfair. Pensioners are overweight

Jadeja has hardly batted well in LOI. Hence did not expect him to play a match winning knock. There are much better expectations from Shankar though. Not necessarily he has to play match winning innings early in career, but it's neither a rule that one should let go off the opportunity in initial matches. He could have played that innings today. Not that he becomes bad overnight because he wasted this opportunity, but he could have done a world of good for himself here.

As for his age, he is 28 which is by no means less for a game played by youngsters. Shankar is way past being a teenager or youngster.  Once selected, of the opportunity is there it's better to grab it, no matter how young or old, at this level of cricket. Comparing with pensioners who are at end of careers isn't going to help.

Edited by Straight Drive
46 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Jadeja has hardly batted well in LOI. Hence did not expect him to play a match winning knock. There are much better expectations from Shankar though. Not necessarily he has to play match winning innings early in career, but it's neither a rule that one should let go off the opportunity in initial matches. He could have played that innings today. Not that he becomes bad overnight because he wasted this opportunity, but he could have done a world of good for himself here.

As for his age, he is 28 which is by no means less for a game played by youngsters. Shankar is way past being a teenager or youngster.  Once selected, of the opportunity is there it's better to grab it, no matter how young or old, at this level of cricket. Comparing with pensioners who are at end of careers isn't going to help.

Agree. He could have showed a little more application.. 

Hard to blame him, he played as expected.. But he had the opportunity to do more than expected... 

22 hours ago, mishra said:

^ So why is Jadeja there in first place?

Accepted that world og good thing for himself, but  fact remains most players perform in 20% games of their career life.

I guess Jadeja is there because Chahal is being rested. I do not think Jadeja will be in playing 11 in WC. Chahal and Yadav would be the two spinners, if we go with 2 spinners in playing 11 in WC matches. Jadeja would be part of squad as backup member.

Just now, putrevus said:

This guy needs to bat at no4 and show he can play and build an innings. We are still search for next Yuvi. Yuvi and Raina were such a luxury.

Just for DHoni to do a show off at Ranchi they sent him up the order who predictably played a pointlessly slow innings. Not even in the wildest imagination i thought we would all be asking for Shankar to bat at no.4 Don't think he even bats for his state at that position.  Credit to him to use all the opportunities he got. He tried to play according to the situation in each match. He gave 8 overs in the middle. Other day bowled an accurate 50th over. By the look of it an unselfish batsman. Decent fielder if not great. Rayadu is none of that. This Jadhav dude is way too unpredictable. Needs a bit of solidity in the middle. I am glad India doesn't talk about bringing back Rahane to have some stability. HOnestly anybody is better than Rayudu including Pandey.

3 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Just for DHoni to do a show off at Ranchi they sent him up the order who predictably played a pointlessly slow innings. Not even in the wildest imagination i thought we would all be asking for Shankar to bat at no.4 Don't think he even bats for his state at that position.  Credit to him to use all the opportunities he got. He tried to play according to the situation in each match. He gave 8 overs in the middle. Other day bowled an accurate 50th over. By the look of it an unselfish batsman. Decent fielder if not great. Rayadu is none of that. This Jadhav dude is way too unpredictable. Needs a bit of solidity in the middle. I am glad India doesn't talk about bringing back Rahane to have some stability. HOnestly anybody is better than Rayudu including Pandey.

Problem is can Shankar score a 100 batting at no4. I like the fact that he can bowl. I would have taken him over Pandya in tests.There is no hard and fast role that a new comer cannot play at no4 .

2011 We had Kohli, Yuvi, Dhoni and Raina, that is some middle order.

7 minutes ago, putrevus said:

This guy needs to bat at no4 and show he can play and build an innings. We are still search for next Yuvi. Yuvi and Raina were such a luxury.

Yuvi had a great start but then went a bit off the radar, took him 3-4 years to finally achieve his potential, his 100 against RSA in the 2005 home series when others were struggling was the turning point after which he became a dependable middle order batsman. Likewise with Raina. We need to persist with guys like Shankar, Gill, Rahul in ODIs and groom them by giving a continuous run. That is not happening under the current regime. Kohli got a continuous run from 2008 but still it took that Hobart 133 to change his reputation, why he doesn't extend the same courtesy to other youngsters is baffling. He is backing the wrong horses. 

6 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Problem is can Shankar score a 100 batting at no4. I like the fact that he can bowl. I would have taken him over Pandya in tests.There is no hard and fast role that a new comer cannot play at no4 .

2011 We had Kohli, Yuvi, Dhoni and Raina, that is some middle order.

Kohli debuted in 2008, Yuvi in 2000, Dhoni in 2004, Raina in 2005....so by 2011 WC they had plenty of matches under their belt and experience of winning matches in different scenarios. Since 2015 WC our middle order selection has been a clusterfukc...Rahane, Yuvi, Rania, Dhoni, Pandey, DK, Rayudu...result is Vijay Shankar has only 3 innings under his belt, out of which twice he got run out unluckily.  

Edited by Gollum
3 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Yuvi had a great start but then went a bit off the radar, took him 3-4 years to finally achieve his potential, his 100 against RSA in the 2005 home series when others were struggling was the turning point after which he became a dependable middle order batsman. Likewise with Raina. We need to persist with guys like Shankar, Gill, Rahul in ODIs and groom them by giving a continuous run. That is not happening under the current regime. Kohli got a continuous run from 2008 but still it took that Hobart 133 to change his reputation, why he doesn't extend the same courtesy to other youngsters is baffling. He is backing the wrong horses. 

Are you kidding about Hobart.Kohli got continous run because he was good and that special. Don't compare guys like Shankar , Rahul with him. Rahul has nobody but himself to blame, he has stunk and I don't think he is that good either.

You don't need another Kohli at no4 , you need a batsmen who has ability to stop the bleeding but also has ability to use long handle.That is a rare skill to find and it is too late for this world cup. Gill if he does well in IPL is the wild card.

11 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Kohli debuted in 2008, Yuvi in 2000, Dhoni in 2004, Raina in 2005....so by 2011 WC they had plenty of matches under their belt and experience of winning matches in different scenarios. Since 2015 WC our middle order selection has been a clusterfukc...Rahane, Yuvi, Rania, Dhoni, Pandey, DK, Rayudu...result is Vijay Shankar has only 3 innings under his belt, out of which twice he got run out unluckily.  

I agree but talent is not grown on trees, you need to have that talented player in system to find him. I don't see any such talents like Yuvi or Raina.

Rahul debuted in 2014 in test matches and 2016 in odis, if he was good he would have cemented his place by now.

17 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Are you kidding about Hobart.Kohli got continous run because he was good and that special. Don't compare guys like Shankar , Rahul with him. Rahul has nobody but himself to blame, he has stunk and I don't think he is that good either.

You don't need another Kohli at no4 , you need a batsmen who has ability to stop the bleeding but also has ability to use long handle.That is a rare skill to find and it is too late for this world cup. Gill if he does well in IPL is the wild card.

Kohli wasn't that special till 2011 in ODIs, even when he scored big he had low SR. Just like his first three years in test cricket....real potential but unfinished product. The Hobart knock (ODIs) and 2014-15 Oz series (tests) turned him from a talent to a special player. Very few greats have set the stage on fire right from debut year, it usually takes a few seasons to stabilize. 

Rahul hasn't been given a proper run in ODIs. Even in T20s where he has 45/150 stats he isn't a sure starter in our 1st XI. Partly he is to blame but TM carries a larger portion of the blame cos they thought hacks like Rayudu to be more fit than him in our future plans. Talking about white ball cricket here. 

Gill could have been our trump card but he needed a continuous run in national side after the U-19 WC. But it seems Kohli has more hopes on Rayudu, Karthik, Rahane, Raina and Pandey than the kid. All these problems are self created by our TM of which Kohli is an integral part. 

Edited by Gollum