Is Hardik Pandya the next Kapil Dev for team India

Is Hardik as valuable as Kapil Dev?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Is Hardik as valuable as Kapil Dev?

• Yes, his contributions at least in limited overs cricket makes him invaluable
    • No, he has a LONG way to go to even elicit a comparison with Kapil Dev
    • Hardik Pandya is only hyped "bits and pieces" player. He can never be as valuable.

39 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Pandya has better fitness levels than Kapil Dev.  Fitness and injuries are not mutually exclusive. His injuries have not been fitness related. One injury, he had was impact injury when a ball hit him on the shoulder and had a fracture.  Kapil was not a great ODI batsman.  He also just has one 100 in 225 ODIs and averaged 23 with an SR of 95.  His batting in ODI cricket was more like Afridi's.

Different standards and different times . Can Pandya’s body take as much bowling as Kapil Dev did in his career? Having a 6pack is not the same as being match fit.

can Pandya’s body last playing a 5 match series and bowl as many overs as Dev did?

Also Pandya has the luxury of world class fitness experts and dieticians,Kapil Dev was being fed 2-3 chapatis in his domestic days and he said how can a fast bowler survive on such diet.

I have seen 80 year old grandma in a village work 15 hours a day and sleep for 4-5 hours and look fresh where as a 25-30 year old urban man/woman  getting absolutely fatigued after 8 hours of desk job and maybe working out for an hour. Just because the urban person is more well toned doesn’t mean they have the same fitness levels.

2 minutes ago, maniac said:

Different standards and different times . Can Pandya’s body take as much bowling as Kapil Dev did in his career? Having a 6pack is not the same as being match fit.

can Pandya’s body last playing a 5 match series and bowl as many overs as Dev did?

Also Pandya has the luxury of world class fitness experts and dieticians,Kapil Dev was being fed 2-3 chapatis in his domestic days and he said how can a fast bowler survive on such diet.

I have seen 80 year old grandma in a village work 15 hours a day and sleep for 4-5 hours and look fresh where as a 25-30 year old urban man/woman  getting absolutely fatigued after 8 hours of desk job and maybe working out for an hour. Just because the urban person is more well toned doesn’t mean they have the same fitness levels.

Although a much wanted player in our ODI team, Pandya is not considered as main player by Kohli in test team which is seen when he was dropped for final 2 tests in Australia . Kapil was never dropped and he played 62 sucessive tests, rested one test, played 63 on trott again. Nobody dropped Kapil for entier career of 131 tests, here Pandya is getting dropped twice in 12 matches. There is no need to even look at stats. Pandya hasn't even crossed Irfan Pathan yet in both formats. Heck, would not even compare Irfan Pathan with Kapil Dev. Silly really. Atleast the OP gave a pragmatic option : No, he has a LONG way to go to even elicit a comparison with Kapil Dev.  

the irony is that many in India compared a batsman averaging <55 with someone who averaged 100, but will find it offensive to compare an AR with better or similar numbers w/ Kapil Dev, an Ind AR who was not considered the best AR ever of world cricket in his playing days (was considered as one of the best) :lol:

Edited by zen
36 minutes ago, zen said:

the irony is that many in India compared a batsman averaging <55 with someone who averaged 100, but will find it offensive to compare an AR with better or similar numbers w/ Kapil Dev, an Ind AR who was not considered the best AR ever of world cricket in his playing days (was considered as one of the best) :lol:

Pandya is comparable to a player who was the highest wicket taker in tests and ODIs at one point time, held the record for the highest individual score, took 9 wickets in a test match once, captained his side to a WC Win at 24 years age? :laugh:  or are you saying Pandya has already overtaken this mediocre cricketer :hysterical: :facepalm:

5 minutes ago, maniac said:

Pandya is comparable to a player who was the highest wicket taker in tests and ODIs at one point time, held the record for the highest individual score, took 9 wickets in a test match once, captained his side to a WC Win at 24 years age? :laugh:  or are you saying Pandya has already overtaken this mediocre cricketer :hysterical: :facepalm:

Since Pandya is just starting out, in terms of talent:

Batting -> Pandya

Fielding -> Pandya

Bowling -> Kapil 

I rate Pant's batting to be as skillful as Gilly's as well .... Time will tell how good they are. Both Pant and Pandya have the talent to win games on their own for India 

Edited by zen
5 minutes ago, maniac said:

It was 9 wickets in an innings. I watched that test which was played at Ahmedabad . It still stands as an unbroken record by Indian pacer in history of Indian cricket. 

3 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

It was 9 wickets in an innings. I watched that test which was played at Ahmedabad . It still stands as an unbroken record by Indian pacer in history of Indian cricket. 

Watch that final world series in 1985 australia. If umpires would have not missed, kapil paaji had got 5 out of 6 openers in his first spell itself in final game against Pakistan. I think umpires deliberately gave those as not outs to Miandad and Imran as Pakistan would have been All out for 50 runs and match would have been over even before crowd made it to stadium

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8533/scorecard/65731/india-vs-pakistan-final-benson-&-hedges-world-championship-of-cricket-1984-85

4 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

let him perform consistently then we can compare him to others. Kapil Dev is far fetched.

Even Kohli can't be compared to Tendulkar till Kohli reaches 10k runs in test. 

Let these guys achieve some big shyt in Test Cricket then can be compared with past greats. 

Kohli dropped him twice. Also if you see, Kohli is now going for 7+4 combo in major series such as Australia.His test spot is not fixed. Pandya will need to be a certain starter in tests if he has to overtake some other all rounders who are lesser than Kapil. Do think he will break Irfan Pathan's record though if he is played regularly and remains injury free. 

1 minute ago, Straight Drive said:

Kohli dropped him twice. Also if you see, Kohli is now going for 7+4 combo in major series such as Australia.His test spot is not fixed. Pandya will need to be a certain starter in tests if he has to overtake some other all rounders who are lesser than Kapil. Do think he will break Irfan Pathan's record though if he is played regularly and remains injury free. 

Pandya vs Prabhakar

9 minutes ago, maniac said:

Comparing Pandya to Kapil is slapping the face of the greatest cricketer produced by India.

No it is not Sachin,Gavaskar,Kumble,MSD,Kohli,Dravid it is Kapil Dev who is India’s greatest cricketer and if we are saying Pandya is better than him that is the joke of the century :laugh:

I thought I was the only one here who rated Kapil as greatest ever Indian cricketer. 

Just now, Straight Drive said:

I thought I was the only one here who rated Kapil as greatest ever Indian cricketer. 

I am what you would call a Sachin Bhakt but yes Kapil is the most important and greatest cricketer produced by India hands down. I am sure a lot are in agreement of the same on this forum except for the ones who are born in the IPL era or as the popular term goes “millennials”.

4 minutes ago, mishra said:

Pandya vs Prabhakar

Prabhakar was more skilled than Pandya in bowling. He opened bowling in both formats. He also opened batting immediately after fielding in tests and ODI's. Pandya is better hitter than Prabhakar though. Pandya bowls nothing as compared to overs Prabhakar bowled. In Pandyas case captain does not trusts to give him spells like Prabhakar used to bowl. 4 overs or 12 is the range he bowls usually, isn't it. He also gets rest as he bats 7 or 8 down as we saw in last ODI as well as in test when he bats 7.

Edited by Straight Drive
3 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Prabhakar was more skilled than Pandya in bowling. He opened bowling in both formats. He also opened batting immediately after fielding in tests and ODI's. Pandya is better hitter than Prabhakar though. Pandya bowls nothing as compared to overs Prabhakar bowled. He also gets rest as he bats 7 or 8 down as we saw in last ODI as well as in test when he bats 7.

What i meant was Pandya by end of his career can try to be comparable to Prabhakar in terms of stats. 

Prabhakar was far ahead off Pandya and was opener bowler.

if you want someone in middle order who batted and bowled few overs, then like for like would be Robin Singh