Shubman Gill is a World Cup 2019 prospect, should be picked for England tour

Cricketics

19 hours ago, Pollack said:

Scored a century today. 122(123) Just saying. Am all for giving him a season atleast before getting him into the side.

This is his 2nd list A season. Why people want FC seasons for one day team selection? List A is the criteria for one day selections and not FC matches. FC matches are for test cricket.  IPL and SMA trophy the criteria for T20 selections. He has two list A 100s already in 11 games.

6 hours ago, rkt.india said:

This is his 2nd list A season. Why people want FC seasons for one day team selection? List A is the criteria for one day selections and not FC matches. FC matches are for test cricket.  IPL and SMA trophy the criteria for T20 selections. He has two list A 100s already in 11 games.

players mature by playing first class cricket. first class cricket is much more than just a selection criteria for test team. consistent performance in 2 consicutive fc seasons is a good criteria for even odi team. atleast 1 season is a must. it is a good criteria for the quality of a player.

Edited by renjith
26 minutes ago, renjith said:

players mature by playing first class cricket. first class cricket is much more than just a selection criteria for test team. consistent performance in 2 consicutive fc seasons is a good criteria for even odi team. atleast 1 season is a must. it is a good criteria for the quality of a player.

there are always exceptions.

On 30/01/2018 at 7:33 AM, maniac said:

You are just going in circles...didn’t i say he was the real deal? 

But you cannot select someone directly based on u-19 performance.

I agree he needs to be fast tracked....I don’t believe in this bs of playing 2 full fc seasons etc but still need to see what he can do against international experienced bowlers be it IPL or A team. Where am I not being able to get through to you? 

Ya nowadays IPL is there, India A matches are there abroad. No need of 2 yrs first class matches

Failed again today 

give the kids from under 19 a break they not quite ready yet . No need to fast track when our senior team is so bloody good . For me those days are gone 

all should play a season of pro cricket and go on at least one away A tour . Then we see . For all these lads from gill to shaw let’s see next September , then maybe one maybe ready 

2 hours ago, King Tendulkar said:

Failed again today 

give the kids from under 19 a break they not quite ready yet . No need to fast track when our senior team is so bloody good . For me those days are gone 

all should play a season of pro cricket and go on at least one away A tour . Then we see . For all these lads from gill to shaw let’s see next September , then maybe one maybe ready 

so you think he is going to succeed in every game. No player can do well in every game.

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

After the ongoing VH Trophy is over, Gill will complete 2 seasons of domestic List A cricket, where he is averaging 40.7 with a SR of 86 before today, and has scored 2 centuries.

He is not a complete rookie in the 50-over format.

He should replace Rahane 

3 hours ago, rkt.india said:

so you think he is going to succeed in every game. No player can do well in every game.

Never said that . But if very very inconsistent in domestic cricket why think would do it international level . Why not pick another lad who delivering consistently ?

why not wait a while till gill doing it more regularly ? Why rush him before ready ?

On 2/13/2018 at 2:08 AM, express bowling said:

After the ongoing VH Trophy is over, Gill will complete 2 seasons of domestic List A cricket, where he is averaging 40.7 with a SR of 86 before today, and has scored 2 centuries.

He is not a complete rookie in the 50-over format.

His ListA career average is 35.33 and SR is nearly 83. It is just not bad and is not in the "good" category yet to be inducted into the seniors category. Can be tried in A teams from now and if he does well then taken into the main team... which is likely to be after WC 19 now. 

12 minutes ago, sarcastic said:

His ListA career average is 35.33 and SR is nearly 83.

It was 40.7  and 86  two games earlier, which changed after two failures.  Happens all the time with small samples.

It is just not bad and is not in the "good" category yet to be inducted into the seniors category. Can be tried in A teams from now and if he does well then taken into the main team... which is likely to be after WC 19 now. 

It is immaterial how good his List A stats are.  These series are almost like A-team games.

He won't play against stronger sides.

My post just pointed to the fact that Gill is completing 2 List A seasons.

30 minutes ago, express bowling said:

It was 40.7  and 86  two games earlier, which changed after two failures.  Happens all the time with small samples.

It is immaterial how good his List A stats are.  These series are almost like A-team games.

He won't play against stronger sides.

My post just pointed to the fact that Gill is completing 2 List A seasons.

Sure, I am not denying he should not be given more opportunities or drafted in India A etc. He needs to be in the selectors radar but let him perform more consistently. Let him gain more experience and his stats will automatically stabilize at a point where we can assess how good he is. 

Just feel that he is not that good to be in seniors team yet as some people are clamouring here.. 

Sure, I am not denying he should not be given more opportunities or drafted in India A etc. He needs to be in the selectors radar but let him perform more consistently. Let him gain more experience and his stats will automatically stabilize at a point where we can assess how good he is. 

Just feel that he is not that good to be in seniors team yet as some people are clamouring here.. 

With no domestic matches around for the next 6 months,  I feel that we should not play the full senior team against SL, WI, Bangladesh.... and use them for  developing young players.

Edited by express bowling