Does Rohit have what it takes to open overseas against quality pace attacks?

Rohit opening in ODIs overseas?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Rohit opening in ODIs overseas?

• Rohit is a very competent opener (in the context mentioned)
    • He's not ideal, but we don't have suitable alternatives
    • He's not good enough, find a new opener

10 hours ago, mancalledsting said:

He is overly defensive and saps momentum away from the rest of the lineup. He struggles with the moving ball (e.g. Amir in CT Final) when conditions suit and struggles to hit back of a length deliveries. Already in the game during the first over to More Morkel, two half volleys were bowled but because he's camping on back foot he didn't have the confidence to go on the front foot and punish the loose deliveries. I know its sad to think this because our middle order is really poor at the moment and our opening 3 are our main strength, but I think compared to other countries e.g. England, Rohit weakens the attacking potential of our top 3.

It's only sensible to defensive at times the start. Because he can swat any given ball to the boundary. If he sticks around by over 20, he makes up for it. If he sticks around after 30 overs, it's game over.

His main problem, like Dhawan, is that they love giving their wickets away. They need to take a leaf out of Kohli's book and hit more balls down the ground. If they can just ensure that one of them will bat deep into the innings, the runs will come(they can't help it), and no target is out of reach.

Plus, modern ODIs tracks are flat. The pitches in WC will flat, like they were in the CT. Sharma will be the first name down on my team sheet.

Rohit has issues against swing and seam and then again who in the team doesn’t?

But he is the best player of raw pace in the side.

Unfortunately Rohit and Kohli are the only 2 match winners in the odi side...get both and win the game seems to be the formula...there should be an insurance cover...get Rahul at 3 or move Rohit at 3 and Kohli at 4 or vice versa...I personally think Rohit at 3 because Kohli has that middle overs game but then again you don’t replace one of the greatest no.3s in the history of odi cricket...it is such a dielemma 

13 minutes ago, maniac said:

Unfortunately Rohit and Kohli are the only 2 match winners in the odi side...get both and win the game seems to be the formula...there should be an insurance cover...get Rahul at 3 or move Rohit at 3 and Kohli at 4 or vice versa...I personally think Rohit at 3 because Kohli has that middle overs game but then again you don’t replace one of the greatest no.3s in the history of odi cricket...it is such a dielemma 

If our new openers whoever they are end up playing first 15-18 overs then it will not be ideal to have Rohit at three who actually gets going after staying on the wicket for  certain period of time.

We don’t have to change Rohit or Kohli. Let them stay at their positions. In fact I will keep both openers and Kohli till the world cup at same slots. No need to make any changes in the top 3. Worry about 4-7. 

His biggest boon proves to be his bane umpteenth time.. His hitting ability has been to his downfall of late. If u look at Indian team they don't have a better six hitter than rohit. But one things which plague his batting is he don't hv very benign orthodox cricketing shot as compared to kohli or rahane. How many times we have seen rohit getting out trying to hit ball out of the park. He needs to play more aesthetically pleasing ground shot early in his innings but i think he carries an inflated ego which is proving to be detrimental.

He did look comfortable while scoring those  20 runs and before playing that rash shot, I think he is ok , he can play pace and bounce its the leftarm angle which trouble's him, needs to practice more against left arm pacers but again left arm pace is  frailty of any opener in the world, I guess he is 30+ of age now,just mature enough to deal with any situation his knock in first game vs Pakistan in Ct was the sign of it, its too late to change him from top of the order, should stick with him.

9 hours ago, maniac said:

Move him down the order he will be out of the team in 12 months ..1 , 2 ,3 ...6,7 ..Bye Bye .

He just does not have the game play anywhere else but open , where he has the luxury of power plays and playing at his pace and build an innings . At no3 , if a wicket falls early he will struggle again we know how good when hes under pressure and if openers give us a good start and he comes in with most of PPs done , he will struggle again with SRs . 

While middle order is a problem in this linup as we still have to replace likes of Yuvi/Dhoni/Raina , opening is equally an issue .y

Rohit is very similar to Amla , no impact and only useful on flat pitches and whats worse is even on flat pitches he never contributes when we are chasing . we will not win anything major but a few bilateral series against likes of SL with him at the top . Expect massive chokes in big tournament for next few years 

I think people need to put aside Rohit's explosive performances at home vs Sri Lanka and a second string Australian attack in Patta-swamy stadium. Look at the recently concluded Champions trophy in England. As soon as he comes up against a good seam attack, his strike rate is either slow or he gets out cheaply. Against easy team he doesnt get a move on and just hogs the overs, that's why our middle order was totally cold in the champions trophy final. And good opening spell from quick bowler, forget about it, Rohit aint contributing. 

13 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

not a new problem, his shoddy footwork triggered champions trophy final collapse. 

Did he spill  oil on the pitch for others?  How can an opening batsman trigger a collapse? Traditionally even the best openers have had lower average than middle order because opening is the toughest job in cricket. It was just one of those days

You seemed to have missed his innings in Australia against Starc and co.

Having said that yes,Rohit has issues against swing and seam as I have said above but he is one of the best 6 hitters in India if not the world especially against raw pace....when you have a middle order of batsmen who can’t clear inner circle 8/10 times like Rahane,Pandey etc and sitting ducks against anything over 135 like Jadhav,Dhoni etc  it makes his 6 hitting ability invaluable.

1 minute ago, maniac said:

Did he spill  oil on the pitch for others?  How can an opening batsman trigger a collapse? Traditionally even the best openers have had lower average than middle order because opening is the toughest job in cricket. It was just one of those days

You seemed to have missed his innings in Australia against Starc and co.

Having said that yes,Rohit has issues against swing and seam as I have said above but he is one of the best 6 hitters in India if not the world especially against raw pace....when you have a middle order of batsmen who can’t clear inner circle 8/10 times like Rahane,Pandey etc and sitting ducks against anything over 135 like Jadhav,Dhoni etc  it makes his 6 hitting ability invaluable.

duck as an opener definitely transmits pressure onto the rest of the batting lineup. Basic cricket psychology. Job of opener being most difficult in cricket...you're talking about the olden days. Now it is one of the best times to bat due to power play restrictions. If Rohit had any special technical ability that allowed him to be a good opener, he would at least be able to bat at no.5 in tests in South Africa. Agree, he's third best batsmen in our lineup, but with middle order of Pandey/Dhoni that's not really saying much.