"Wish Dhoni Was In My 2003 World Cup Team" - Writes Sourav Ganguly

velu

Just now, rkt.india said:

you play a team based on conditions

Teams have to be based on mismatches first. Need to find the mismatch and exploit it. That is how all sports all played. Conditions need to be taken into account also.

7 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

WTF is mismatch!

Take football for e.g. If a defender or midfieder is slow attack that side with fast forwrds. There you have a mismatch. 

If a team is weak against spin attack them with spin bowlers. They cannot improve overnight.

Before the test series if you look at my post I was hoping for two spinners. Did not happen but in ODI it did and look at the result.

In NFL they take mismatches to another extreme with ten coaches looking at every play with headphones wired to each other and changing strategy with every play. Find a weakness and exploit it.

Now if you have a real coach with a real analyst they will have a database of every opposition batsman with each dismissal. You can then see the trend and create a mismatch.

Three pronged pace attack against Australia and having Kumble on the bench gave India a zero chance.

On 3/4/2018 at 5:41 AM, Khota said:

That final was lost becaus eof Ganguly and Ganguly only. There was no need to play three pacers in that game. Should have played Kumble to create mismatch but the backword thinking was the problem.

kumble wud have been whacked, he was already struggling in ODI cricket then and was poor on field to 

That aussie lineup tonked murali for 100 runs .......kumble wud have made no diff

Let me show u kumble stats against that aussie team from 2000-04 in odi 

12 innings , 10 wkts, Eco of 5.42 ....avg of 52 ( u cringe over ashwin n jadeja stats)

That aussie team was to good ......

19 minutes ago, Khota said:

Take football for e.g. If a defender or midfieder is slow attack that side with fast forwrds. There you have a mismatch. 

If a team is weak against spin attack them with spin bowlers. They cannot improve overnight.

Before the test series if you look at my post I was hoping for two spinners. Did not happen but in ODI it did and look at the result.

In NFL they take mismatches to another extreme with ten coaches looking at every play with headphones wired to each other and changing strategy with every play. Find a weakness and exploit it.

Now if you have a real coach with a real analyst they will have a database of every opposition batsman with each dismissal. You can then see the trend and create a mismatch.

Three pronged pace attack against Australia and having Kumble on the bench gave India a zero chance.

cricket is not football. Cricket depends a lot on conditions.

Lessons learned....Never win the toss and field first in big games. 1996 Semi Final, 2003 Final, 2015 Semi Final, 2017 CT etc are classic examples. Even 2011 we almost botched it when Viru and Sachin went cheaply. But we were destined to win that day and Gambo & MSD played innings of their life.

Out of the above matches I highlighted, surely 96 Semi final and 2017 CT was our game had we batted first. 2003 we would have lost either way as that Aussie team was almost invincible.

5 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

kumble wud have been whacked, he was already struggling in ODI cricket then and was poor on field to 

That aussie lineup tonked murali for 100 runs .......kumble wud have made no diff

Let me show u kumble stats against that aussie team from 2000-04 in odi 

12 innings , 10 wkts, Eco of 5.42 ....avg of 52 ( u cringe over ashwin n jadeja stats)

That aussie team was to good ......

Even if that was the case with Kumble we are looking at a no more than 54 runs worst case. That was a easy call.

36 minutes ago, Khota said:

Even if that was the case with Kumble we are looking at a no more than 54 runs worst case. That was a easy call.

yea as if other perfomred as per their career figures that day 

They all were bowling superbly till final when they got phaintaa

even kumble wud have been taken for cleaners like he was on other days , those aussie were on a diff level. 

Dravid of 2003 was more valuable keeper-bat than Dhoni of 2018... both play at the same strike rate and if it is a crisis back to the wall situation, I would take Dravid over Dhoni any day.

Also Dravid a better keeper to pace bowlers

Always wondered who I liked more Dravid or Dhoni,guess I answered my own doubts :giggle:

Thanks OP

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Yes Dhoni's heroic ducks against against Bang/SL went in vain in 2007 thanks to Sachin :((.

What to do when sachin ate all balls in the middle and has  innings like 7(26) batting #4 :giggle: .. #7 #8 #9 got a 0 trying to hit .

13 minutes ago, Rasgulla said:

What to do when sachin ate all balls in the middle and has  innings like 7(26) batting #4 :giggle: .. #7 #8 #9 got a 0 trying to hit .

Trying to hit :hysterical:. Dhoni was barely able to get his bat on the ball during his two ducks in that WC. 7(26) is an ATG performance compared to Dhoni's disasterclass in 2007.

3 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Trying to hit :hysterical:. Dhoni was barely able to get his bat on the ball during his two ducks in that WC. 7(26) is an ATG performance compared to Dhoni's disasterclass in 2007.

ATG innings by Ailiaaa to get India Eliminated in Early stages:giggle: If #7 #8 #9 can barely hit he would play a crap innings like sachin... Zaheer ending up with more runs with 10 x  better SR than  ATG ailiaaa 7(26). Bit of pressure Ailiaaa ll choke. 

6 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

yea as if other perfomred as per their career figures that day 

They all were bowling superbly till final when they got phaintaa

even kumble wud have been taken for cleaners like he was on other days , those aussie were on a diff level. 

The were but there was no fight from India. Tendulkar just laid down his sword. That was pretty bad. No strartegic thinking on part of India either.

4 hours ago, Khota said:

The were but there was no fight from India. Tendulkar just laid down his sword. That was pretty bad. No strartegic thinking on part of India either.

Its feel like that but what happened in most cases were teams were mentally defeated before the gme begun against aus such was their aura

Then pressure of final n ganguly as captain was not good with nerves in final thats why he lost so many finals

Then the huge target 

About tendulkar- a batsman needs only one ball to get out and he had no other way to start hitting from start with such target. Understand those days we werent good chasers so we didnt knew how to do it neither did we had the confidence. His dismissal reason was the ball didnt come as quickly through the pitch as he thought which u realise once u spend time on wkt but with 360 on board those days it was always going to be panic