IPL Matches To Be Shifted Out Of Chennai

Malcolm Merlyn

Such a disgrace. For all her faults, at least under Jayalalithaa the state seemed stable and progressive.

Now it's just a bunch of scary looking dumbfks protesting over almost every other thing just to stay in the news. I ask you why stall the work of neutrino observatory? What scientific studies they have in possession which proves setting it would be detrimental to the health of local populace?

Idiots!

38 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Just like Bengal I fear we are witnessing the decline of the erstwhile mighty Tamil state. Bengal was the center of our Renaissance, vital for our freedom struggle and produced a major bulk of our intelligentsia...look at today's Bengal, hopeless. Similarly TN which produced the finest minds once upon a time is staring at intellectual bankruptcy. Most of the great Tamil minds and geniuses are in the age category of 45+, the state has simply stopped producing the likes of Ramanujam, CV Raman, Chandrashekhar, Varadhan , Venkatraman, Vishy Anand. etc. We have already lost the mighty Bengalis, now with the decline of the Tamils we are heading toward some sort of a crisis, no other group of people in the subcontinent can match the brain power and creativity of the creme de la creme of these 2 states IMHO. All the major scientific breakthroughs in modern day India including bio-tech, space program and missile development owe their success to many people but a majority of the scientists/engineers came from these 2 places, Bengal even contributed a lot in the cultural sphere.

Gollum, just on the decline bit, this is prior to general election scenario..there are more people wanting cricket to go on without political interference than those who want to fight for water actually, not sure if its good or bad though. the rest on TN and bengal, i dont know facts so not attempting to comment.

its a sad state of affairs in TN. i'm caught up between cricket vs cauvery. while moving ipl out is not going to make any difference to the cauvery issue, atleast ppl all over the country are made aware. thats a win for the protestors. feel sad for chennai cricket lovers, who were already punished wth 2 years of CSK absence. now one more year.

regarding, what should be the alternative home, I would vote for Trivandrum ahead of Pune. Kerala is more closer to TN both culturally and distance-wise. Keralites might support CSK more than Poona walas.

4 minutes ago, Vilander said:

actually i thought so too before going to Trivandrum and Nagarkovil. But Chennai sure is freaking hot.

simply i made it :p:

i spent only 3 days in chennai in my entire life ( engineering counselling ) 

10 minutes ago, Dinx - the Jinx said:

its a sad state of affairs in TN. i'm caught up between cricket vs cauvery. while moving ipl out is not going to make any difference to the cauvery issue, atleast ppl all over the country are made aware. thats a win for the protestors. feel sad for chennai cricket lovers, who were already punished wth 2 years of CSK absence. now one more year.

regarding, what should be the alternative home, I would vote for Trivandrum ahead of Pune. Kerala is more closer to TN both culturally and distance-wise. Keralites might support CSK more than Poona walas.

Ranchi would make a bit more sense, but no where in the level of Chennai for sure in terms of following. May be CSK need some sub franchise at Ranchi, may be have them as an overseas( out of state i mean) team in TNPL  

Its sad that such a political move is let to destabilize something like IPL.

At cost of being cliche, i cant imagine this happening under Jaya. First up no one would have had the guts to tell her what to do and what not to do in Chennai, that itself would have made sure that IPL went ahead ( just for the heck of it because she could). Secondly she knew how to pull the strings, what is the point of distributing IPL like juvinile state when TN knows how to pull the strings at the right place. This seems like a huge revision of political importance of the state, very juvinile unbecoming move overall from a state level polity.

Edited by Vilander

53 minutes ago, Gollum said:

We have already lost the mighty Bengalis, now with the decline of the Tamils we are heading toward some sort of a crisis, no other group of people in the subcontinent can match the brain power and creativity of the creme de la creme of these 2 states IMHO. All the major scientific breakthroughs in modern day India including bio-tech, space program and missile development owe their success to many people but a majority of the scientists/engineers came from these 2 places, Bengal even contributed a lot in the cultural sphere.

looks like you have bias for bengal and TN as shown in previous posts. why ignore contributions of others

4 minutes ago, PBN said:

looks like you have bias for bengal and TN as shown in previous posts. why ignore contributions of others

probably because it was one of the top states after indepedence and now WB is one of the bottom states in india in most of the parameters 

Read an article on 'Down To earth', an abstract of a research paper which said that in Tamil Nadu there has been more destruction of wetlands than any other part of Asia. I wish these politicians take adequate steps to stop land encroachments on water bodies and take steps for groundwater recharge and restoration of wetlands rather than crying about something over which they have no control. Cauvery like all peninsular rivers is non perennial unlike Gangetic rivers, moreover placing all bets just on river water is very risky. Going for less water intensive crops and scientific management of available water is the need of the hour.

This is not just a South Indian problem, all states in India are going to face this problems in the future, hope all stakeholders come together and implement what Rajendra Singh did in Rajasthan, on a much larger scale. I would be happy if these outfits who protested outside Chepauk protest next time some builder tries to encroach on a wetland in the city. 

High time environmental issues (air, water, land) are at the forefront in our political discourse. MoEFCC should be as important as Home Ministry or Finance Ministry IMO. Presently it is treated like a pariah ministry which gets leftover funds after all other ministries and departments have been satisfied. This is suicidal, if our rulers have any sense this trend shouldn't continue. Our Environment ministry, even though underfunded has always been very efficient, as evidenced by our increase in forest cover in every successive decade and preservation of wildlife...all this despite heavy pressure from lack of resources, less personnel, naxals, insurgents, poachers, mining mafia, industrial pressure etc. 

This has got to be the final nail in the coffin for CSK. They cant possibly compete now cant see a major turnup in Pune for any match, or pitch favoring CSK etc. I think they can just forget the current IPL make it about Dhoni instead if they head to Ranchi atleast. 

Still cant empathize with pak though, being CSK fan through betting scandal and this..not enough level of victimhood lol the stuff that you see in pakistanis's lol.

Edited by Vilander

Just now, Gollum said:

all peninsular rivers is non perennial unlike Gangetic rivers,

the worse thing is, the only perennial sources the Indus/Ganges/Bramputra are going to run dry because of climate change. Imagine a gangetic plain without water..its scary man. India needs to invest in desalination along with phase 3 nuke reactors ...by 2030 they need to have desalination units in every coastal district or one with any brakish source.

21 minutes ago, velu said:

probably because it was one of the top states after indepedence and now WB is one of the bottom states in india in most of the parameters 

it was this comment @Gollum made:

no other group of people in the subcontinent can match the brain power and creativity of the creme de la creme of these 2 states IMHO

12 minutes ago, PBN said:

I have no bias, just speaking facts. Majority of our world class intelligentsia are from these 2 states...look at our cultural icons, social reformers, intellectuals, poets, writers, religious thinkers, mathematicians, scientists, Nobel laureates, Abel Laureate, chess masters etc, you will find that these 2 states are disproportionately represented, Bengal even more than TN. Read about the Bengal renaissance which awakened Indian society when we were in the dark ages----> in a span of 70-80 years they produced the likes of Raja Ram Mohan Roy, Vidyasagar, Ramakrishna, Vivekananda, Lalon Fakir, Tagores (father and son and a few other illustrious relatives), Aurobindo, JC Basu, Satyendranath Bose, Kazi Nazrul Islam, Bankim Chandra, Mahalanobis, Keshab Chandra Sen, Bipin Chandra Pal, M.N Roy, Begum Rokeya, Michael Madhusudhan Dutt, Satyajit Ray, Yogananada, Amartya Sen and a 100 others !!!! Which other state has had 100s of such great people born in such a short time, no exaggeration to say that Bengal single handedly lifted Indian society from the nadir, gave it direction and inspiration and was the energy behind our freedom struggle, no other group has contributed more to our freedom struggle than this one group (Next time you go to Andaman go to Cellular jail, you will understand how). If you are interested read about Bengal Renaissance and if you don't agree with my assessment you can abuse me :p:

Similarly Tamil Nadu has contributed heavily in this department, our greatest modern era mathematicians and scientists are from this region. Ramanujam, Raman, Chandrasekhar, Venkatraman, Varadhan (only Asian Abel Laureate, highest maths honour which is a mind boggling feat!!!) and many others. Even the 15th world chess champion and the only one apart from Bobby Fischer who had to break Soviet hegemony to get the crown is from here. In fact look at the chess masters of India and a huge chunk are from TN and Bengal, only recently have Andhra and Maharashtra made significant strides. I rate TN below Bengal because the latter comfortably surpasses the former in the cultural sphere.

I am not ignoring contribution of others, I also said both these states are declining. Bengal has exhausted its quota, TN too is showing decadence...so may be in the coming years other states will pick up in this department. But I doubt even if they make progress they can equal Bengal of old. I am very much on record that Punjabis are the backbone of our army and Mumbaikars are our cricket supply chain...does this mean I am ignoring contributions of others? Or if I say Bhiwani is our boxing capital, does it mean I refuse to acknowledge Mary Kom?