Skillful or not, there’s no escaping the yo-yo

17 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

I dont get why people are hating on the Yo YO test. People are saying that fitness doesnt give you skill.. true but what it gives you is longevity in the game. Look at Kohli, in the last 2/3 years this is only his 2nd injury. This man never gets cramps during matches.

Its evident at looking at the indian team that apart from Kohli, no one really gives a care about 'serious fitness'. Look at at Rohit.. the man has a belly now, why is he even considered an athlete? Jhadav, Dhoni etc. Their age is catching up with them. There needs to be a serious overhaul in our attitudes to sport. We have chosen to excel in one sport that doesnt require peak fitness and stamina like football or basketball does. That shows how inherently lazy we are and we rather eat chole bhature and desi sweets than healthy nutritious food to aid a serious fitness regime.

I recently saw rohit was fielding close to where i was sitting, to be fair the guy looked fit to me. Ill accept i was a good 20m away but no way could he be termed unfit or round. The man i was shocked to see was VVS, saw him up close sure he was in a suit but he has maintained himself i bet he would pass that test even today. 

3 minutes ago, MechEng said:

If there was yo-yo test 20 years ago, then Sehwag and Laxman would have never made it to international cricket.

Just read what i wrote about vvs in above post. I also saw Sehwag yup he wouldnt have passed then nor now. 

Edited by jf1gp_1
14 minutes ago, jf1gp_1 said:

Just read what i wrote about vvs in above post. 

VVS Laxman never made it to ODI side because of his sloppy running between the wickets and this was the Ganguly era when cricket fitness was not as advanced as today.

2 minutes ago, MechEng said:

VVS Laxman never made it to ODI side because of his sloppy running between the wickets and this was the Ganguly era when cricket fitness was not as advanced as today.

I am just sharing my experience. 

On topic below from Cricinfo  

Teams have different speed levels as qualifying marks. India have set 16:1 as the qualifying speed level, which means it is mandatory for their players to finish the first shuttle of speed level 16, which in terms of accumulated distance is 1120 metres. Pakistan's minimum level is now 17:4; West Indies are at 19, and New Zealand probably have the highest level, 20:1.

51 minutes ago, MechEng said:

If there was yo-yo test 20 years ago, then Sehwag and Laxman would have never made it to international cricket.

And why is it so? I am sure if Nehra had retired 5 years then ICF would have been openly declaring that Nehra would have never passed yo yo test.

Current benchmark isn't some magical number, which only super fit can pass.

You have to run 1.1 km in 9.5 mins to cross 16. Sehwag who regularly played long innings in tests without breaking sweat could have passed the test. Same about Laxman.

44 minutes ago, jf1gp_1 said:

I am just sharing my experience. 

On topic below from Cricinfo  

Teams have different speed levels as qualifying marks. India have set 16:1 as the qualifying speed level, which means it is mandatory for their players to finish the first shuttle of speed level 16, which in terms of accumulated distance is 1120 metres. Pakistan's minimum level is now 17:4; West Indies are at 19, and New Zealand probably have the highest level, 20:1.

I won't believe Pakistan's Yo-Yo threshold even if god himself tells me. Guys like Imad, Yasir and hafeez can't run for their life and you are telling me they cross 17 pointer? I call a big pile of baloney. 

1 hour ago, Trichromatic said:

And why is it so? I am sure if Nehra had retired 5 years then ICF would have been openly declaring that Nehra would have never passed yo yo test.

You have to run 1.1 km in 9.5 mins to cross 16. Sehwag who regularly played long innings in tests without breaking sweat could have passed the test. Same about Laxman.

but are you sure that they would have done it in 9.5 minutes. you dont have to run urgently fast in tests. 

Edited by rkt.india
3 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

That's it? I did my half marathon in 2:12:18. Looks like I can ace the yo-yo test as well! :yess:

1 hour ago, MechEng said:

That's it? I did my half marathon in 2:12:18. Looks like I can ace the yo-yo test as well! :yess:

It's not that simple though. You can't slow down in the test. You have to start slowly and always accelerate for that distance. 

But yeah, I won't be surprised if you manage clear the test. Benchmark which Indian team has is not to check if a person is super fit or not. It is just basic minimum level of fitness which board expects from players.

It's not a surprise test either. Players are well aware of this and have done it earlier. There is no excuse for failing.

Sehwag when he started and also when he came back in the team after getting dropped in 2008 was fit. He was even runner for cramping Laxman in 2008 3rd test which Laxman scored match winning 100. Sehwag was a lazy guy who need constant kick in the behind to stay fit.

Laman on other hand with his knees would have never passed this test especially in last decade of his career.

How is Pujara passing this test??