Duryodhana seems to be the most righteous person among all the Mahabharata characters !!!

velu

Speaking of mahabharat characters, Bhishm is my father's name.... When I was in 5th or 6th standard, i had a argument with some kid at school.... He knew my father's name.... And said to me 'O bin byahte ke'.... Coincidently i also knew his father's name which was Shri Mange Ram Khatri... So i replied 'O bhikhari ke'..:D still chuckle thinking of such school memories :D

On 7/6/2018 at 1:03 AM, rkt.india said:

they were not real, just stories.

For you and I care less. What matters to me is my own business. How about you claim whatever you like for yourself. Or you cannot comprehend the concept of freedom. Oh by the way, they were as real as the sun and moon. 

4 hours ago, Laaloo said:

Amazing no mention of abhimanyu yet :((

Oh man...made me cry. he was the most righteous,selfless and the bravest of all...Such a pure soul...he was the best!!!

Please don't forget about Ghadolkachan,just because he was born to rakshasa caste,he never gets the respect he deserves...he was equally selfless and brave...

Edited by riya

13 hours ago, dial_100 said:

For you and I care less. What matters to me is my own business. How about you claim whatever you like for yourself. Or you cannot comprehend the concept of freedom. Oh by the way, they were as real as the sun and moon. 

yeah, right. We love mixing history and mythology. They were as real as Odin, Loki and Thor.

1 hour ago, MultiB48 said:

They didnt know how to keep calenders back then ,hastinapur exists and various locations and tribes mentioned are accepted by scholars .If it's down to records then nothing will exist outside properly dated history , your memories and experiences should be overlooked as dodgy anecdotes as you haven't documented them properly.Give it enough time and our existence too will be doubted in spite of all the technology we use to record our existence.

but isnt it the case similar in literature? Most things and places exist but literature is fiction.

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Yudhishtra never uttered a lie in his life. He said "Ashwatamo Hatah kunjaraha" to Drona! Which means a elephant named Ashwathama has died. But when he said kunjaraha, Krishna blew the conch shell and hid his voice and that's how Krishna engineered the fall of Dronacharya. 

:two_thumbs_up: The way Drona Acharya, Bhishma, Karna and others found reasons to take sides with evil, Shri Krishna found ways to to take side of good. 

On 7/6/2018 at 3:56 PM, coffee_rules said:

Some sorry posts by people  who don't know the philosophy behind the epic, applying present day ethics and movements like pseudo feminism to a time when societies were being formed with Dharmic principles. 

Not at all, we are simply calling out the philosophy of the epics as dated and inferior to the times we live in now. thats all.

21 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

Who says they are inferior? You?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

He thinks we are smarter now than Valmiki because we can drive cars (technological advancements)! So, these neo-thinkers argue that if they can't understand something that medieval or ancient people built (like the cave temples or the pyramids) they must have gotten help from aliens.

On 7/13/2018 at 7:57 AM, Malcolm Merlyn said:

Who says they are inferior? You?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yep. Me. And anyone who has enough sense to not take moral lessons from 'rishis and philosophers' who knew less about phenomenal universe/reality than children in middle school these days. 

In face of technological progress and progress in deciphering the phenomenal universe, its a matter of time before every old philosophy becomes antiquated and inferior. What is cutting edge modernism today,assuming development of tech & discoveries of the universe keep pace, will seem as ignorant nonsense 500 years from now, as the religious texts do now.

On 7/13/2018 at 8:22 AM, coffee_rules said:

He thinks we are smarter now than Valmiki because we can drive cars (technological advancements)! So, these neo-thinkers argue that if they can't understand something that medieval or ancient people built (like the cave temples or the pyramids) they must have gotten help from aliens.

Species homo sapiens has remained more or less the same for the last 150,000-300,000 years.

So its quite possible that Valmiki or some random dude 3000 years ago was just as smart as a nobel lauriate today.

But what is NOT in question, is that my grade 8 child has more knowledge than Valmiki ever did. Or that every single one of us here who has a degree in technology has greater knowledge than the sum total of Hindu (or ancient Greek/Chinese etc) civilization till pre-modern times.

Do you take life lessons from a jaahil, illierate 'angutha-chaap' ?? Do you let a person who cannot read or write, has never been to school, to correct YOUR viewpoint about the universe ? 

If the answer is no, then the same should apply to the likes of Valmiki or Vyas or Mohammed or any such ancient writer, who's KNOWLEDGE of the universe is less than that of children today. 

Hinduism is not a revealed faith. its a realized one. Its always relied on realizations of its sages, which is basically knowledge applied to spirituality based on knowledge of the universe. And that makes Valmiki, Vyaas and all of them inferior to the average grade 9 child today. Hence, they are not fit to be followed.

PS: There isnt a modern engineer alive who 'doesnt understand' how the cave temples of Ajanta and Ellora or the pyramids were built. And if you really want to make a point about 'ancient technology', try using one that ACTUALLY awes the engineers the world around- Angkor Wat.

Edited by Muloghonto