WC squad selected, DK n Jaddu selected.....no rayudu, pant

Just now, beetle said:

I don't think Pant should have got in.

Only that he is no worse than dk and if they had to send one ,Pant being one for the future would have made better sense.

But a bowler would have been better than both.

As for rayudu,if he took his place in wc squad for granted based on some performance  many months back ..then one can only call him delusional or him having too much faith in his biryani.

That is my point. it wasn't many months back just the beginning of March. so just a month back. all it took for him to lose a spot was a couple of bad games against Aus and IPL. it is bad luck.

Look I know he is not a reliable player. good decision to leave him out. However doesn't mask the fact that he was unlucky to lose form at the wrong time.

28 minutes ago, Switchblade said:

Iyer was dropped after 3-4 games I get it Pant may not be world beater again 3-4 games they played musical chairs with Yuvraj Raina Rayudu Rahane DK those guys should have been tried more. 

Where is Iyer going to play and whose place he is going to take. Iyer is one dimensional player who has no xfactor and I don't think he is such a miss. Pant has been playing international cricket for past one year and frankly I don't think he is better than Dhoni as of today  in odis.Dhoni is still useful in low scoring games.

There is no standout talents in domestic cricket who can play in middle order. We have to accept it.Gill and Shaw are openers and they clearly are not ready.

I don't blame anyone for middle order but seamers they should have taken one more seamer.

Edited by putrevus
46 minutes ago, Proud IPL Fan said:

Decent squad. Rayudu was hard done by after being assured a spot by Kohli and mgmt saying IPL performance don't matter. KL Rahul got in primarilyon IPL Performance

My XI

Rohit / KL Rahul

Dhawan

Kohli

Shankar

MSD

Jadhav

Pandya

Jadeja

Shami

Kuldeep

Bumrah

My team looks good in fielding too. SHankar and Pandya patrolling long on and long off. Jadeja at midwicket.

Batting till 8. 7 bowling options. Jadeja + Pandya + Shankar + Jadahv can easily cover 20-25 overs

Rohit vs KL - Prefer KL as opener, faster scoring, better fielder

Other option was Bhuvi and Chahal instead of Shami and Jadeja = Weakens fielding and batting Shami a better bowler than Bhuvi and Chahal may be slightly better than Jadeja so bowling is a wash

Another reason to play Jadeja is that he is a left hander. Outside of Dhawan there are NO left handers in the line up and you know teams are going to line up with leg spin wristies

Zampa

Adil Rashid

Rashid Khan

Imran Tahir

Shadab Khan

etc

Just now, putrevus said:

Thankgod they have not selected Rahane, some moronic ex players were saying Rahane should be selected.

It was your typical mumbai lobby of Manjrekar, Gavaskar and Tendulkar. I don't think anyone else batted for Rahane, Same people also threw in Iyer there. Quite pathetic

1 minute ago, Proud IPL Fan said:

It was your typical mumbai lobby of Manjrekar, Gavaskar and Tendulkar. I don't think anyone else batted for Rahane, Same people also threw in Iyer there. Quite pathetic

I think  Yashpal sharma was saying he as a ex selector would pick Rahane as he would be very good as no4.

Good squad.. no surprises or disappointments.

DK vs Pant was always going to be 50-50. Neither has set the stage on fire. And neither is going to play ahead of Dhoni.

If anything, they should have picked Saini ahead of DK or Jadeja...

Given that Dhoni is going to play every single game, and Rahul is a backup keeper if required for a brief period, they didn't need another in the squad. They could have picked a surprise quick bowling option in Saini instead of DK

21 minutes ago, beetle said:

I don't think Pant should have got in.

Only that he is no worse than dk and if they had to send one ,Pant being one for the future would have made better sense.

But a bowler would have been better than both.

As for rayudu,if he took his place in wc squad for granted based on some performance  many months back ..then one can only call him delusional or him having too much faith in his biryani.

Agree. Pant is more a selection based on gut feeling. God forsaken if he flunks in the world cup at a crucial time, he will be crucified  no end. Lack of all rounders is really a big blow. If at all we find an all rounder he is more likely a spinner rather than pace bowler. In the whole country we have only 2? That is ridiculous. All rounders will be very very handy in a world cup. 

1 hour ago, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

Can't say tbh. Kuldeep and Chahal rolled over the English at the beginning of our tour last year. They got taken for runs as the series progressed, but in a tournament like the World Cup, you won't get the opportunity to get used to one team and their players. It could fail spectacularly as Kuldeep and Chahal aren't in the best of form, but just seeing how uncomfortable batsmen are against spinners these days on pretty much any wicket, it's not the worst strategy to have 2 spinners in the XI.

Can work against non Asian teams.

But we may need 3 fast bowlers against Asian teams.  Also, we may get a few tracks or conditions that aid movement for seamers.