#StopHindiImposition Protests [ Only for Tammys ] !!!

velu

4 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

All nonsense. Hindi is the second most spoken first language on this planet after mandarin. It’s the most spoken language in India both as first and second language. As such, proficiency in it is as essential as any non science subject in school .

I agree learning Hindi is more important than Moral science but that's about it. Hindi has no historical or cultural significance when you take all of India in to account. Also just because an over populated village in UP and Bihar  adds up to the numbers of Hindi speaking folk I don't think it should be made compulsory for some kind going to school in a village in Telangana. For starters Hindi is not even the mother tongue for most Biharis and UP folk. Similarly Urdu is not spoken outside of a few north Indian Muslims and shoved down the throats of Pakistanis as well where most of them are neither native speakers of Urdu.

Hindi is just a dialect made up of a few north Indian dialects. It has no historical significance. I won't say culture because every Indian language has one and Hindi's cultural significance is no different from say Oriya or Tulu or Konkani

4 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Don’t make nonsense excuse, I always use Hindi when I travel in India outside of WB. 

So you have visited UP,MP and Bihar. good for you.That's not India. I guess you skipped geography class for Hindi. Hope it was worth it.

Edited by maniac

5 hours ago, Vilander said:

lol so Karnataka hindi protests are from Tamils as well ?? is that what you are claiming here. :hysterical:

Typo influenced. These neo Kannada dravidas are following the same model of their eastern neighbors to gain ground politically. Karnataka still doesnt have any grassroot level support to this movement. It was only limited to shops and businesses not having a Kannada signboard. Nowadays there are some groups who want to desanskritize Kannada , you know how it was started in TN by Periyar and others! Urdu is fine, but no Sanskrit ! Google ellara Kannada. Rubbish I should say.

1 hour ago, maniac said:

So you have visited UP,MP and Bihar. good for you.That's not India. I guess you skipped geography class for Hindi. Hope it was worth it.

Try Orissa Maharashtra gujarat Sikkim hp and Karnataka . All the time I spoke hindi. Stop with your anti Hindi nonsense 

1 hour ago, maniac said:

I agree learning Hindi is more important than Moral science but that's about it. Hindi has no historical or cultural significance when you take all of India in to account. Also just because an over populated village in UP and Bihar  adds up to the numbers of Hindi speaking folk I don't think it should be made compulsory for some kind going to school in a village in Telangana. For starters Hindi is not even the mother tongue for most Biharis and UP folk. Similarly Urdu is not spoken outside of a few north Indian Muslims and shoved down the throats of Pakistanis as well where most of them are neither native speakers of Urdu.

Hindi is just a dialect made up of a few north Indian dialects. It has no historical significance. I won't say culture because every Indian language has one and Hindi's cultural significance is no different from say Oriya or Tulu or Konkani

Stop the nonsense propaganda. Hindi has by far the most native speakers in India and is the second language of many by a country mile. Learning Hindi is essential as learning English or any non science field 

Learning Hindi just so you can speak with a lot number of people is useless. I am sure if you can get by in Karnataka using any language including English. Unless there a professional need or an economic need, practically nobody will learn Hindi for country's sake. Swami Vivekananda or Adi Shankara went around the country and got by talking in Sanskrit. We lost it, because of the British.

33 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Try Orissa Maharashtra gujarat Sikkim hp and Karnataka . All the time I spoke hindi. Stop with your anti Hindi nonsense 

I am not anti-hindi. I am against the imposition of Hindi or making it compulsory. 

India’s national language should be Sanskrit. Then it should be your native tounge or the state you are living in. If you are living in Bengal then you have to learn Bengali etc. 

Just because a few more people speak the language in one part of the country doesn’t mean I should start learning it. If I have the necessity I will learn their language or vice versa.  There are plenty of top of the shelf doctors in the South who cannot speak a word of Hindi, doesnt stop them from treating patients all over India.

you used Hindi in Karnataka or Orissa because you had no other option. It’s not that people there were thrilled to speak

to you  in Hindi. You could have got by with English as well. There is a higher probability that they would know English and no Hindi rather than the other way round. Once again your easy rider motorcycle diaries is just a delusion that you have discovered real India. 

Simple you learn the language of the state you live in and then since every other important profession from Tech to medicine to management is in English you have no option but to learn it. Learning Hindi is useless and forcing Hindi on other native languages which are much richer and have a bigger historical significance is an insult. Period.

39 minutes ago, maniac said:

I am not anti-hindi. I am against the imposition of Hindi or making it compulsory. 

India’s national language should be Sanskrit. Then it should be your native tounge or the state you are living in. If you are living in Bengal then you have to learn Bengali etc. 

Just because a few more people speak the language in one part of the country doesn’t mean I should start learning it. If I have the necessity I will learn their language or vice versa.  There are plenty of top of the shelf doctors in the South who cannot speak a word of Hindi, doesnt stop them from treating patients all over India.

you used Hindi in Karnataka or Orissa because you had no other option. It’s not that people there were thrilled to speak

to you  in Hindi. You could have got by with English as well. There is a higher probability that they would know English and no Hindi rather than the other way round. Once again your easy rider motorcycle diaries is just a delusion that you have discovered real India. 

Simple you learn the language of the state you live in and then since every other important profession from Tech to medicine to management is in English you have no option but to learn it. Learning Hindi is useless and forcing Hindi on other native languages which are much richer and have a bigger historical significance is an insult. Period.

Again, stop spouting nonsense. I advocate  Hindi because it’s by far the most common second language in India . Meaning more  non native speakers in India speak Hindi over any language. Sanskrit is a dead language and serves no practical purpose that learning Hindi does, where it has the most fluency pan India relative to any other language. Secondly almost all cab drivers, bus drivers , restaurant staff I’ve met across India speak Hindi. We should encourage that, instead of pandering to Southie jealousy and insecurity re: Hindi. That’s the only reason you propose a dead language as Sanskrit , because you are jealous of Hindi and insecure about it.

but as I said and no southie has been able to counter, stop being pu$$ies about Hindi. None of the Hindi bordering languages are dying despite growing fluency in Hindi. Learn from us.

As such learning Hindi is just as important as learning Wnglish for most Indians and it should be compulsory 

48 minutes ago, maniac said:

Hindi is the link language for many Indians of different ethnicities , no other Indian language can come close to it.

For example, Marathis,  Gujaratis , Bengalis , Tamils, Goans on the streets of Mumbai  communicate with each other in Hindi. 

When i travel to Kolkata/WB , I use Hindi.

When i travel to Orissa, I use Hindi

When i travel to Gujarat,  I use Hindi

When i travel to Delhi, i use Hindi

When i travel to anywhere in the cow belt region , Hindi is useful for me.

Whether anyone likes it or not , Hindi will continue to grow in Non-Hindi regions. Its kool to write Anti-Hindi essays on online forums but no way can the growth of Hindi be contained now , sorry its too late. 

On 9/19/2019 at 4:32 AM, Muloghonto said:

Again, stop spouting nonsense. I advocate  Hindi because it’s by far the most common second language in India . Meaning more  non native speakers in India speak Hindi over any language. Sanskrit is a dead language and serves no practical purpose that learning Hindi does, where it has the most fluency pan India relative to any other language. Secondly almost all cab drivers, bus drivers , restaurant staff I’ve met across India speak Hindi. We should encourage that, instead of pandering to Southie jealousy and insecurity re: Hindi. That’s the only reason you propose a dead language as Sanskrit , because you are jealous of Hindi and insecure about it.

but as I said and no southie has been able to counter, stop being pu$$ies about Hindi. None of the Hindi bordering languages are dying despite growing fluency in Hindi. Learn from us.

As such learning Hindi is just as important as learning Wnglish for most Indians and it should be compulsory 

Lol thats the core of the problejm. My so called Historically, Culturally and Intellectually superior Mother Tongue has been confined to my little state while Hindi , the language of inferior Bhayyas has been making inroads into my region and diluting the supremacy of my Classical Mother Tongue.

Edited by beetle

16 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

"insecure" of Hindi ?  WTF does that even mean. Maybe we should switch our conversation to Hindi, so you could make more sense.

First of all I am not anti-Hindi, You need to understand my context. Let's see if you get it.

The irony is I am relatively more fluent in Hindi than my mother tongue having lived most if not all of my life outside my home state. Now that should make appreciate Hindi a lot more right?

However coming from a family of scholars in both Sanskrit and Telugu I cannot even read or understand my own family's works or the collection of books that are in my father's collection handed over from many generations. Now this is a language that has existed before the modern Hindi as we know it. Now I am not on a measuring contest of how old is Telugu compared to other Indian regional languages because I am sure there are languages that are older. I cannot read it or understand it because I am not proficient enough. Obviously I can still learn but it will take a lot more effort now to master a language as complex as Sanskrit or Telugu.

Now I have learnt Hindi in school. I used to score well in exams. today I cannot recollect how to write the letter that comes after k kha ga gha . In fact don't even know what comes after it.

I use Hindi to communicate with friends or casually here and there but I think at least 80% of the words I use in my colloquial Hindi is not from education. I don't think I have written in Hindi outside of school. Most Hindi is picked up from movies etc. In fact I learnt reading my Mother-tongue looking at movie posters when I used to go to my ancestral town in Andhra, similarly I learnt Hindi numbers by looking at Bus numbers.

I am at my most comfortable while writing,reading and  speaking in English just like pretty much everyone on this forum. 

Similarly a person in a village is comfortable communicating in his own language be it reading,speaking or writing.

But the premise of what I am saying is we are missing out on our culture. instead of wasting time on a language that we will pick up anyways if the need arises, we are missing out on being stronger in our native language or our ancestral language where all the glorious collection of works gives us a window into history and finally tells us who we are. If enforcing English on India is shoving down a international language so is forcing someone to learn Hindi who is not a native speaker. Not everyone rides motorcycles cross country and engages with the natives in a different language and feels better about themselves.That is so white person insta backpacker level cringe.

A person trying to make a living will learn to communicate in whatever language. You don't need to teach that at school.

As I said most of the educational material is in English and that is fine as a medium of communication or it can be translated and communicated in the native tongue so that a student can grasp it better. learning Hindi as a subject is pointless as people who can will pick it up anyways and you don't need to get into the grammar and nitty gritties unless that is your passion then it is of course more power to you.

Hindi should not be imposed and who gets to pick Hindi just like that. This is not ownership based on 51% method, these are people's culture,tradition and way they have been communicating for centuries.

On 9/19/2019 at 4:59 AM, rageaddict said:

Lol thats the core of the problem. My so called Historically, Culturally and Intellectually superior Mother Tongue has been confined to my little state while Hindi , the language of inferior Bhayyas has been making inroads into my region and diluting the supremacy of my Classical Mother Tongue.

Good that Bollywood is making inroads into Pakistan. Ab bhag yahan se.  

Edited by beetle

38 minutes ago, javier26 said:

Hindi is the link language for many Indians of different ethnicities , no other Indian language can come close to it.

For example, Marathis,  Gujaratis , Bengalis , Tamils, Goans on the streets of Mumbai  communicate with each other in Hindi. 

When i travel to Kolkata/WB , I use Hindi.

When i travel to Orissa, I use Hindi

When i travel to Gujarat,  I use Hindi

When i travel to Delhi, i use Hindi

When i travel to anywhere in the cow belt region , Hindi is useful for me.

Whether anyone likes it or not , Hindi will continue to grow in Non-Hindi regions. Its kool to write Anti-Hindi essays on online forums but no way can the growth of Hindi be contained now , sorry its too late. 

I don't know about the other states but Marathis and Tamils will be the first to tell you that they don't like Hindi dominating their Mother tounge. speaking Hindi will not exactly endear you to them.

As far as Goans go, I have seen the Anglo types speak in English more than Hindi.

2 hours ago, maniac said:

I don't know about the other states but Marathis and Tamils will be the first to tell you that they don't like Hindi dominating their Mother tounge. speaking Hindi will not exactly endear you to them.

As far as Goans go, I have seen the Anglo types speak in English more than Hindi.

I know from first hand multiple visits to Maharashtra that the moment Marathis suss out that I am not a Marathi or a Gujju, they switch to Hindi on their own.

The other guy wrote the factual broad situation and you replied with peripheral inconsequential stuff without acknowledging the factual broad situation. Lol

"insecure" of Hindi ?  WTF does that even mean. Maybe we should switch our conversation to Hindi, so you could make more sense.

First of all I am not anti-Hindi, You need to understand my context. Let's see if you get it.

The irony is I am relatively more fluent in Hindi than my mother tongue having lived most if not all of my life outside my home state. Now that should make appreciate Hindi a lot more right?

However coming from a family of scholars in both Sanskrit and Telugu I cannot even read or understand my own family's works or the collection of books that are in my father's collection handed over from many generations. Now this is a language that has existed before the modern Hindi as we know it. Now I am not on a measuring contest of how old is Telugu compared to other Indian regional languages because I am sure there are languages that are older. I cannot read it or understand it because I am not proficient enough. Obviously I can still learn but it will take a lot more effort now to master a language as complex as Sanskrit or Telugu.

Now I have learnt Hindi in school. I used to score well in exams. today I cannot recollect how to write the letter that comes after k kha ga gha . In fact don't even know what comes after it.

I use Hindi to communicate with friends or casually here and there but I think at least 80% of the words I use in my colloquial Hindi is not from education. I don't think I have written in Hindi outside of school. Most Hindi is picked up from movies etc. In fact I learnt reading my Mother-tongue looking at movie posters when I used to go to my ancestral town in Andhra, similarly I learnt Hindi numbers by looking at Bus numbers.

I am at my most comfortable while writing,reading and  speaking in English just like pretty much everyone on this forum. 

Similarly a person in a village is comfortable communicating in his own language be it reading,speaking or writing.

But the premise of what I am saying is we are missing out on our culture. instead of wasting time on a language that we will pick up anyways if the need arises, we are missing out on being stronger in our native language or our ancestral language where all the glorious collection of works gives us a window into history and finally tells us who we are. If enforcing English on India is shoving down a international language so is forcing someone to learn Hindi who is not a native speaker. Not everyone rides motorcycles cross country and engages with the natives in a different language and feels better about themselves.That is so white person insta backpacker level cringe.

A person trying to make a living will learn to communicate in whatever language. You don't need to teach that at school.

As I said most of the educational material is in English and that is fine as a medium of communication or it can be translated and communicated in the native tongue so that a student can grasp it better. learning Hindi as a subject is pointless as people who can will pick it up anyways and you don't need to get into the grammar and nitty gritties unless that is your passion then it is of course more power to you.

Hindi should not be imposed and who gets to pick Hindi just like that. This is not ownership based on 51% method, these are people's culture,tradition and way they have been communicating for centuries.

You are making a case for WHY Hindi should be mandatory in schools: if people so commonly pick it up via Bollywood and it has by far the greatest fluency for any second language in India, we might as well help the process and teach it to the kids.

i can make an equally corollary argument re: math. Make it optional. Those who wanna go into STEM will take it and those who don’t wanna go to stem will pick up basic math skills anyways like most illiterate people do. So why bother making it compulsory??

The answer is the same for Hindi, English and Math: they help us so much that we might as well learn it through and through.

There is no missing out on culture. I did Hindi as second language because my Bengali was already super good and I wanted a full intensive experience of the default national language of India. And not once do I feel like I am missing out on Bong culture. I still listen more to Rabindrasangeet and Nazrulgeeti than Bollywood masala, I still read Bengali books more than Hindi ones. 

Sanskrit is a dead language and it died a natural death. Learning it provides no utilitarian value like Hindi does.

3 hours ago, maniac said:

In my workplace there were Tamil Telugu Kannada womenmarried to hindi speaking north Indians...(I hope there are no less Southie bros marrying North Indian girls)...one of my friends from Delhi is getting married to girl from Hyderabad.. so language didn't even come in the way of marriage...

But I hope that the men learn some Telugu/Kannada/Tamil to make the girls n their families more happy.

Edited by randomGuy

4 hours ago, maniac said:

I don't know about the other states but Marathis and Tamils will be the first to tell you that they don't like Hindi dominating their Mother tounge

I don't disagree with most of of your posts in this thread, but this is misleading. We may have had tension with Hindi language in Maharashtra with the large migration from North India, but we had that with English as well, during the South Indian migration into Maharashtra and that exists to an extent even today. Neither group adopted Marathi language which is the real issue rather than Marathis hating Hindi or English or South Indians or whatever.  When anyone expects common Marathi labour/natives to talk in Hindi or English during daily dealing, that will be an issue. That is not comparable in my opinion. Some Tamils in this case are perfectly willing for their language to be 2nd to English, but not Hindi. I think that is a big difference and so the two aren't comparable.  

Edited by Moochad