Your language My Language thread

Haarkarjeetgaye

Amidst all this push for Hindi, I just wanted to start a thread where we can make efforts to learn words or common phrases from languages you don’t know and want to know.

please share on your language and ask about any other language. 

** At at times it can get funny, some may laugh on your language too. All that has to be taken in good spirit.

1 hour ago, straight_drive said:

Can you please add

Tamil - ettapan

Suits you Pakistani fauji kid

Sent from my SM-J701F using Tapatalk

What makes you think he is Pakistani Fauzi kid?? Just because he is not a sanghi Chadiwala like you? 

Please go and join Army and do something for nation. Stop giving anti national certificates on a online forum. 

11 minutes ago, Under_Score said:

It is surprising to see that some fellow posters are upset at him and calling him Pakistani just because he is not praising their favorite party....He definitely seems Indian who has settled in US. Yeh kya Democracy hai bhai log?

Thanks man. I was Indian. Now I am OCI.

26 minutes ago, RanveerSingh said:

What makes you think he is Pakistani Fauzi kid?? Just because he is not a sanghi Chadiwala like you? 

Please go and join Army and do something for nation. Stop giving anti national certificates on a online forum. 

I wish mods do some verification and confirm to fellow posters. This guy is also on my ignore list :wall:

Just now, Under_Score said:

I know the first & the last words...Yaako means 'Why' & Magne means 'son' ....some fellow Kannidiga can help me with the remaining word.:wp1: All I I know is that it's not a good word :phehe:

:hysterical: chalo. It helps to know the not good words also. Always nice to know if the one in front is abusing or being polite. 

10 hours ago, Under_Score said:

I know the first & the last words...Yaako means 'Why' & Magne means 'son' ....some fellow Kannidiga can help me with the remaining word.:wp1: All I I know is that it's not a good word :phehe:

BoLi is one whose head is shaven, iOW, a Widow. Son of a widow. The insuation is he was born after his mom became a widow, basically a bastard. 

Pretty surprising. isn’t it.

not a single response here and we want Hindi to spread across India.:hysterical: deshbhakti:phehe:

in my experience, if one can learn this one line in all languages, it serves as an excellent ice breaker whenever you go to a new state.

the locals love it when you show you have made an attempt to learn their language instead of speaking in English or sign language. I have seen a sparkle in the eyes and have seen them go out of the way to help.

** For the super intellectuals who call me Pakistani, just think. Here is a so called Pakistani who knows more Indian languages than some of you and your super nationalistic friends  :phehe:

Edited by Haarkarjeetgaye

11 minutes ago, beetle said:

Learning a few words or lines end up making you look like fool.

The other person assumes you know more and starts talking in that language and then you have to sheepishly admit you only know a few words....

It is good only for understanding...not communicating .

When you are telling the person in his native language that you don’t know it, then how can he assume you will know more:facepalm:

10 minutes ago, Haarkarjeetgaye said:

When you are telling the person in his native language that you don’t know it, then how can he assume you will know more:facepalm:

Example...you ask for direction using words of a language ( suppose A)that you don't know and the person starts giving you directions in that language(A)...then you are left feeling sheepish because you did not underdtand sny thing.

11 hours ago, beetle said:

Example...you ask for direction using words of a language ( suppose A)that you don't know and the person starts giving you directions in that language(A)...then you are left feeling sheepish because you did not underdtand sny thing.

No. I will not ask for direction first. I will first say I am not from here and I dont understand your language. This line I have to say in the local language. Once it is clear to the person that I dont know the langauge, then I will ask the way. Either he or she will help or will direct me to someone who can help. Has worked very well for me.

It is much better than trying to speak in English and sign language. 

Edited by Haarkarjeetgaye

On 6/7/2019 at 7:22 AM, Haarkarjeetgaye said:

Starting with “ I am new to this place. Don’t know your language”

Marathi - Mi ya jaagah madhe navin aahe. Mala marathi yet nahi

Kannada - nannu I sthalake hosadu. Kannada gothila

give pronunciation as well .