Why do we Indians have so little civic sense ?

beetle

20 hours ago, MechEng said:

Agreed, if you go to a Chhatisgarh village it's very clean not in a phirangi developed way but in a more natural way.

Mumbai is a cesspit, Delhi is waay better.

Delhi better than Mumbai in terms of cleanliness seems a joke. Delhi is horrible in terms of cleanliness. Add to that the shitty weather and then add people who say “ tu jaanta nahi mera baap kaun hai”

Mumbai is way way better

2 hours ago, riya said:

That has nothing to do with throwing garbage and cutting traffic lines...its lack of respect towards others and utter selfishness...

Once you cut deeper to find reason then you'll get to the same point.

When I am in mood I will write on issues in/about India (though there may be threads already) :lol: 

Talking about civic sense, during traffic jams or congestion, you will see ppl start to drive everywhere only to create a bigger jam. Don’t know if this still happens

Other thing is parking extremely close. My new cars have been scratched and side mirrors damaged at times (esp. by bikes parked right next to your vehicle or people just banging into the side mirrors while walking) 

More on parking, people even park in front of the gate of your house so you can’t get your car in or out! 

Edited by zen

26 minutes ago, zen said:

When I am in mood I will write on issues in/about India (though there may be threads already) :lol: 

Talking about civic sense, during traffic jams or congestion, you will see ppl start to drive everywhere only to create a bigger jam. Don’t know if this still happens

Other thing is parking extremely close. My new cars have been scratched and side mirrors damaged at times (esp. by bikes parked right next to your vehicle or people just banging into the side mirrors while walking) 

More on parking, people even park in front of the gate of your house so you can’t get your car in or out! 

During traffic jams the civic sense goes negative :facepalm:

9 hours ago, Haarkarjeetgaye said:

Delhi better than Mumbai in terms of cleanliness seems a joke. Delhi is horrible in terms of cleanliness. Add to that the shitty weather and then add people who say “ tu jaanta nahi mera baap kaun hai”

Mumbai is way way better

No, you haven't lived in Mumbai it seems.

Unless you live in posh areas like South Mumbai or Bandra sea face, majority of Mumbai is too dirty to the point it becomes stressful.

Yes, Delhiites may come across as brash entitled folks but Mumbaikars can be overworked robots who find it impossible to appreciate slow paced life.

1 hour ago, MechEng said:

No, you haven't lived in Mumbai it seems.

Unless you live in posh areas like South Mumbai or Bandra sea face, majority of Mumbai is too dirty to the point it becomes stressful.

Yes, Delhiites may come across as brash entitled folks but Mumbaikars can be overworked robots who find it impossible to appreciate slow paced life.

I have lived in Mumbai and Delhi both, a good 3 years in each city. Yes Mumbai was the Navy Nagar area which is posh and brilliant but I have roamed around the city. 

To each his own experience. In my experience Mumbai ....then daylight....Delhi

Delhi Air has trash in it. You can smell it when you land at Delhi airport.

the only thing Indians know very well is $$$$$.....FINE THEM, TICKET THEM, FORCE THEM TO PAY only then they will understand and never repeat

parked car blocking gate? tow that focker and force them to pay any towing fees..like they do it here in US.

1 hour ago, Texy said:

the only thing Indians know very well is $$$$$.....FINE THEM, TICKET THEM, FORCE THEM TO PAY only then they will understand and never repeat

parked car blocking gate? tow that focker and force them to pay any towing fees..like they do it here in US.

yes. Wonder why it is not done. 

On 6/19/2019 at 3:27 AM, veer said:

This and many other issues boil down to one single factor.. India's (over)population.. When resources are scarce and people wanting to get hands on those resources are too many, its bound to happen.. 

Over population was 3 decades ago. Now what we have is a population explosion. There are just 3 states where you have 400 million people living. 500 if you add one more state. As you said, these things are bound to happen when you have no planning. 

Edited by Stan AF

Fortunately, Unfortunately have have seen both world and I have a theory surrounding civic sense issue. Lack of civic sense comes from empathy, apathy, selfishness. It all starts from family. how you behave, your kids learn it and you have learned it from your parents system.

The selfishness brings in corruption. Every Indian is fighting to secure his and his kids future. Why because there is poverty. It took nearly 70 years to have some confidence in our politicians. It took nearly 70 years for Indian Administrators to turn from Sarakari Babu to Government Employee. It took 70 years to see back off family rule.

Current India has a lot of young and dynamic people in various departments of Indian administration or corporate world or SMEs and are assured about their earning and livings and future of their kids. They will impart it to next generation.

India is changing and changing gradually

Edited by mishra

I think one poster hit the nail on the head. Its a question of resources. Indias overpopulation comes in the way of civility.

There are exceptions like Japan but in our case a highly heterogeneous society makes it much harder.

The only solution i see is embracing technology which can make lives easier to live. 

We also need to be wise about resources. I dont think India's environment can take an increased consumption of meat. I speak as a non vegetarian myself. Can we also afford to grow water intensive crops like sugarcane? Maybe a focus needs to be on pulses.

I feel the main reasons are.

2) Civic sense towards people other than family is not considered a priority with the elders. As long as the kids are listening to parents,everything is fine . Sanskars are fine .

They throw rubbish outside ,spit on someones wall,  pisses on someone elses wall...drive around without licence drive in wrong direction ,don't dip head lights..

Everything is fine as long as the child comes back home and touches feet of elders or does salaam .

2) population ...just too many people .

Everyone has to get married and have children.Everyone has to see the face of  a grandson / grandchild whether the adult child is capable emotionally ,financially ,or physically.

The adult child can be a asexual, gay ,impotent ,...Per bachcha to chahiye.

The adult child can be physically sick, mentally sick , socially deviant ...per bachcha to paida karna hai..

Other wise maa baap ka karz kaise chukaenge....

This is also an extention of the  previous point .Just do what the family expects of you ....or what they feel is good for the family.

So ...the population keeps growing.

No one to blame but our own parents and grandparents and their grandparents.

3) poverty....which is related to the 2nd point .

I always remember the first time I was in India , I stopped off in Mumbai for a couple of days to see a couple of my Mumbai  cricket friends on my way to Ahmedabad, was booked into this hotel , very nice . Had to fill out this questionnaire and it asked profession . I own  a Hygiene Consultancy company here in Scotland , I have never seen a look of horror on the two young girls faces when they read it , I laughed and told them not to worry I am here on holiday not business .

Another time there I was staying in this 5 star Heritage Hotel, absolutely beautiful , everything was fantastic except the kitchens were filthy, the people working in them were filthy , the last straw was rats running through the restaurant but the owner didn't care , so what if he  poisoned someone , everybody gets ill in India he said . If someone with a business like him doesn't care why should anybody care . 

Well the video above you posted isn't exactly fair to compare in our situation, I've seen people give way for Ambulance for sure. But in case of traffic jams that's impossible due to so many vehicles, you can blame the policy makers for this as urban planning & development in India was neglected for better part of 7 decades!

Secondly as some have said overpopulation is a huge problem, so is corruption. The top 10% probably make 40-60% of all money in this country, give or take a few % points here & there. The rest are left fighting for scraps! You can't ignore the mess bureaucracy & polity has created in colluding with with mega rich & systematically looting India. Yes people are responsible for allowing this (corruption) monster to grow, however we've never really had strong laws+enforcement to fight against it.

13 hours ago, R!TTER said:

Well the video above you posted isn't exactly fair to compare in our situation, I've seen people give way for Ambulance for sure. But in case of traffic jams that's impossible due to so many vehicles, you can blame the policy makers for this as urban planning & development in India was neglected for better part of 7 decades!

Secondly as some have said overpopulation is a huge problem, so is corruption. The top 10% probably make 40-60% of all money in this country, give or take a few % points here & there. The rest are left fighting for scraps! You can't ignore the mess bureaucracy & polity has created in colluding with with mega rich & systematically looting India. Yes people are responsible for allowing this (corruption) monster to grow, however we've never really had strong laws+enforcement to fight against it.

True...but population ,poverty does not have  anything to do with people spitting on walls or using a public toilet properly.

If there is a public toilet..leave it clean for the next person ....but that doesn't happen.

It doesn't prevent us from following ones lane ...doesn't stop our people at home sweeping our houses and throwing the rubbish on the street .

These don't stop us from building a house but not building toilets.

There is something wrong with the psyche of the people where people bathe daily but are fine with an open sewer at their gate.

People taking out their slippers outside the house but having filthy bathrooms and kitchen....Or flies and cockroaches.

Edited by beetle