Rohit Sharma to lead the ODIs and Virat Kohli continues to lead test matches: Sources

2 hours ago, Pandya_Power said:

Who though? The only established player I can think of is Bumrah...that might be a bad idea. He can't play every game, can he?

If we become forward-looking, we know which ones would be playing 2023 and probably beyond. I do not think we should be in a hurry to make changes considering that we have time. One option would be to continue with Kohli (or alternatively give Rohit the tenure till T20 WC. To me, Kohli, Rohit, and Dhoni are cut from the same cloth) and make someone like Pandya, who has the potential, VC to see how he responds to the challenge. Bumrah can then become the VC to Pandya where he does not need to play all the LOIs. If a young captain is being groomed, it would make sense to have someone like Hussey, Hussain, etc., as the coach. The goal is to take Ind cricket to the next level and build its own brand of fearless/watchable cricket. 

Edited by zen
5 hours ago, I6MTW said:

Oh, so that Dhoni can analyse the par score in Australian pitches?

He'll do that when he bats. He'll come it at 140/5 after 17 overs....but he'll need to consolidate to ensure we don't get all out. At 150/5 after 19.2 overs, Dhoni will attempt 2 big shots and deny singles. He'll hit a 6 and a 4 off the last 2 balls. India will finish with 160 and Ganguly will say "that man MS Dhoni has done it before and he has done it again".

4 hours ago, zen said:

Only 35+ years old guy in the current WC squad is Dhoni, who, many people feel, should have retired two years ago. Yuvraj at 37 retired now and we know how is last few years were. Rohit is 32 now so will be 36+ in 2023. If he is appointed, there would be calls to remove him soon. Will be considered an unplanned move by BCCI if it happens when it should be trying to groom a younger player for captaincy.

Since there is no suitable younger player, Rohit can be a transitional captain for a year or two. Ideally till the next CT. There is no point in allowing Kohli to continue with the same old.

3 hours ago, nevada said:

Since there is no suitable younger player, Rohit can be a transitional captain for a year or two. Ideally till the next CT. There is no point in allowing Kohli to continue with the same old.

Rohit can lead the side till 2021 T20 WC..  Hope Shreyas Iyer settles in Indian side.  He can be groomed as future Captain.  That guy has serious potential. 

4 hours ago, Pandya_Power said:

Shame that Rohit is not a certain starter in Tests. In fact, no other batsman currently is. We are really stuck with Kohli. It wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have a chamcha for a coach. we need people who challenge him, perhaps reduce his say in selection matters. 

Pujara has managed to established himself in tests despite the “odds” .... he can be a captaincy candidate 

Rohit/Chepu split is the logical choice but part of me wants Jadeja for all formats...I'm aware he is not an automatic selection though in tests abroad. Lets pray that Rahane doesn't become captain for all formats...somehow it could happen. Opener T20 to see off new ball, stability at 4 position in ODI, test no.5..plus Kohli will eat him for nashto:hatsoff:

Edited by ViruDilSeKhelo
9 hours ago, nevada said:

There is no CT planned so far. In fact major focus over the next two years is on T20 and WTC. ODIs are expected to take the backseat during this period unless Ind gets it wrong as usual and focuses too much on it!

4 minutes ago, chewy said:

Its wait and see, but Kohli needs to be sacked, the dumb a$$ needs to go back to school to.up his IQ

First time I'm hearing that the Rat can read or write. he should start from kindergarten - he will fit in well with the tantrums thrown by toddlers.