The Great Andy Roberts on Jaspreet Bumrah

sandeep

12 hours ago, Shaz1 said:

Call it what you want I respect your opinion.

How about manning up and acknowledging that your "opinion" was wrong?  Maybe you weren't aware how old the guy is, its fine, you made a casual comment.  But are you man enough to own up to your mistake?  Or would you rather shift goalposts and talk tangents? 

10 minutes ago, Shaz1 said:

There is no right or wrong in this when its just a opinion. A 70 year old will still say something for money even if he is not getting a coaching role. In IPL you got a simple mentor role which does not require you to have any coaching experience. I am not going to man up to something that I was aware of. 

So your theory is that a 70 year old man, who can't be bothered to leave the shores of Antigua even for West Indies cricket board, somehow is motivated to want to fly 20 hours to India to be a "mentor".  

You are casting aspersions on a retired old man, without any evidence or indication, simply because you prefer to believe that praise directed at an Indian pace bowler can't be honest, but only motivated by greed for personal profit. 

Good job living up to the stereotype.  This epitomizes the greenbro mindset quite accurately.  

Edited by sandeep
27 minutes ago, Shaz1 said:

You got no evidence either that he is not doing it for some IPL contract. I am only saying it like I see it. These compliments feel very unrealistic and feel only done in a way to garner some attention.  If that makes me a greenbro than I never denied I was one. 

"Evidence" huh.  Just like Pakistan courts need "evidence" against the murderers who were responsible for the Bombay attacks in 2008.  Reminds me of that dialogue "Do you have any evidence that your father is actually your father?"

2 hours ago, Shaz1 said:

He is a top pacer for sure. Someone who has potential in breaking plenty of Indian records. I do feel these compliments are over the top. They could easily be for nothing if Bumrah ends up getting a major injury. Bumrah needs few more years to solidify his threshold on international cricket. These compliments to me at the moment feel very unrealistic and played out. Hence why my initial comment.

When the compliments are primarily about

1)  Match awareness as a new pacer in test matches.

2)  Ability to learn fast as a new pacer 

3 ) Ability to set up batsmen despite being a new pacer

4 )  Pace, bounce, aggression, hostility as of today  (  which rekindles in Ambrose  memories of their prime )

5 )  The great WI attack not having a Bumrah-type pacer ( high pace from a short run up and unorthodox action which make the batsmen out of sync  ) ... and such a type of pacer would have lent variety to that great attack.

Then how is such a compliment over the top. ?

Any player's career can go haywire if there are persistent and major injuries.  Everyone knows that.

Roberts did not say that Bumrah is going to end up with 400+ wickets.

In a nutshell ... he talking about Bumrah's high quality and maturity despite being a rookie in the test arena.

The fact that he is a rookie in the test arena is important in this observation by Roberts. 

Edited by express bowling
7 minutes ago, Shaz1 said:

Pakistan court has nothing to do with this discussion. Nice attempt at derailing. 

So a rookie in Test cricket is getting complimented over the moon by a player who was part of the most threatening West Indian attack of all time. Saying stuff like he would have loved to have his type of bowler in his team is not over the top compliment for you? He is already said to do great in any era in his short career. I guess its okay to get a little excited. But please these comments don’t make me take him seriously. 

Please read why he said would have preferred to have him . There's a reason . he would have been much different from the 4 they had which at 

times was  bit sameness in  attack apart from garner till the advent of Marshal.     

About most threatening ..  well that was pre- helmet days so naturally fear  for life was more . Does not mean the world hasn't seen such fiery

bowlers after them. We can easily name 2-3 at least.  

18 hours ago, MechEng said:

Andy Roberts and Michael Holding are few folks who are very difficult to please. 

"But if he were born here back in our days, we would have had him. A freak was the only element missing in our bowling line-up. In fact, Bumrah is the only variety of bowler we had never produced"

This will take time to sink in, wow! 

Woah that's rich praise coming from legends of their stature:phew::phew:

Hope they don't jinx him :pray:

One gets the feeling that they're really happy to have a guy like that in the international setup :proud:

1 hour ago, Shaz1 said:

I get his reasoning my point is let the dude perform for few more years consistently in Tests before you come up with such compliments. Bumrah is a great bowler but he still has long way to go. However its fine if it makes you excited. 

True, let him play 50 tests first.

1 hour ago, The Dark Horse said:

Woah that's rich praise coming from legends of their stature:phew::phew:

Hope they don't jinx him :pray:

One gets the feeling that they're really happy to have a guy like that in the international setup :proud:

Bumrah neither has a big run up nor he tries to bowl too fast. Hopefully remains injury free.

2 hours ago, Shaz1 said:

I get his reasoning my point is let the dude perform for few more years consistently in Tests before you come up with such compliments. Bumrah is a great bowler but he still has long way to go. However its fine if it makes you excited. 

When guys like Mikey Holding wax eloquent in praising a young Mohammed Amir on his 1st tour to England - its to be taken as "evidence" of the greenbro phaast bowling phactory.  When Andy Roberts and Curtley Ambrose praise Bumrah after he takes 5-fers in Australia, England, South Africa and West Indies - their praise is "over the moon", and only because they want IPL $$$.  

Lahori Logic.  

7 hours ago, Shaz1 said:

So a rookie in Test cricket is getting complimented over the moon by a player who was part of the most threatening West Indian attack of all time. Saying stuff like he would have loved to have his type of bowler in his team is not over the top compliment for you?

The words in bold are the key here. Anyone would wish to have such a type of bowler in any team.

"  Bumrah's unorthodox run-up and action broke the mental rhythm of batsmen as they prepared to face him "

"   It's the strangest action that I have seen on a cricket field," . A freak was the only element missing in our bowling line-up. In fact, Bumrah is the only variety of bowler we had never produced. "

The parts in quotes was what Roberts said ... and this is the type he wants.

And who would not want such a type. !

He is already said to do great in any era in his short career. I guess its okay to get a little excited. But please these comments don’t make me take him seriously. 

Incorrect. This supposed part was said by Ambrose and he said that Bumrah could have played in any era because of his pace, aggression, hostility, craft etc.  Nothing about doing great for a long time.

" The pace, aggression, the hostility, the craft. The way he outclasses the batsmen, the way he out-thinks them. He's so complete a bowler that he could have played in any era."

The quote above is what he said. I don't find anything incorrect about it.

Someone like Ishant could not have played for any length of time in any era because, in the 1970s and 1980s, players did not get 77 games to get them ready for international cricket.

1 hour ago, Shaz1 said:

I am glad you brought Amir up that is one reason why I am saying its not best to hype someone on the start of there Test career. Amir is one example of someone who got hyped to the moon than never became the cricketer everyone hyped him to be.

Did Amir take 5-fers in Aus, SA, Eng and WI?  No.  He got hyped up a lot because he flashed potential, at a very young age in one series.  The assumption was made that he will keep on getting better from there.  He didn't.  Bumrah is no Amir.  He's been playing int'l cricket and delivering consistent results for years now.  As a rookie in tests, only playing single digit tests, he's become one of the most feared bowlers around.  And he has proven effective in different conditions against different teams.  And its not due to a "gimmick" like an Ajantha Mendis or a Mustafizz Rehman.  Its because he brings a rounded package as a pace bowler - top shelf pace, ability to move the ball, and disciplined consistent execution - all with an awkward delivery angle as a bonus.

Still, you are definitely entitled to your opinion, and may choose to wait longer.  But regardless of that - your jumping to baseless conclusions about what Andy Roberts said is wrong - there is no defensible argument that can stand up on that count.    

40 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Bumrah is no Amir.  He's been playing int'l cricket and delivering consistent results for years now. 

And its not due to a "gimmick" like an Ajantha Mendis or a Mustafizz Rehman.  Its because he brings a rounded package as a pace bowler - top shelf pace, ability to move the ball, and disciplined consistent execution - all with an awkward delivery angle as a bonus.

These 2 are very important points.

1)  Bumrah maybe relatively new to test cricket ...  but he has been playing international cricket for 3.5 years now and has improved day by day. 

Being the No.1 ODI bowler, after playing ODIs for 3.5 yearsdoes showcase his high quality at international level. It is not the same as praise after a couple of months and shows that he is not a flash in the pan performer.

2)  The fact that Bumrah combines

-- High pace

-- Good bounce

-- Great accuracy 

-- Movement both ways

-- Great Yorkers

-- Good hostile bouncers

-- Deceptive slower balls

-- Ability to set up batsmen using the above

-- Game awareness

-- Regular improvement over a period of 3.5 years

Shows that he is the complete package and has the tools to be an all condition bowler. He is not a gimmicky one trick pony who often fade away after a short time.

Edited by express bowling
On 8/27/2019 at 11:35 PM, Real McCoy said:

And this guy thinks he is an american born desi :lol: while he acts like he is fresh off the boat padosi

On 8/28/2019 at 12:47 AM, Shaz1 said:

With this comment you have shown your blue bloodcells. 

Lol Hilarious why would a Pakistani need to think he is born American?

Oh sorry I should have not shown my green carpet.

You should answer that question yourself. Why are you asking me. Maybe you have low self esteem or feel inadequate being a pakistani. Maybe you think acting like an American gives you more traction than being a pakistani

23 hours ago, Shaz1 said:

You have some poor reading comprehension skills. I never once denied where I was born I literally asked you a basic question which you did not answer. Cause you assume I am living in Pakistan instead of USA. I literally asked you “ Why would a Pakistani need to lie about being born in the USA?”. What would I gain from being born there if my parents migrated from Pakistan? 

But the funny thing is your evidence of me backtracking is me asking you a question. I swear if you worked as some detective you would get fired on the first day. 

First of all I wasn't responding to you but the other guy and you jumped in asking that question. You got your response above. Also I don't believe you're an ABCD. Most ABCDs have zero interest in cricket much less trolling on an Indian cricket site. Also you seem to have no life that you keep coming back here for more ownage. That was my original message to the other guy. If you have problems with it, consider this my opinion and move on like your "opinion" on Bumrah. I'll let you have your last word on this. I'm done with your trolling.

14 hours ago, express bowling said:

When the compliments are primarily about

1)  Match awareness as a new pacer in test matches.

2)  Ability to learn fast as a new pacer 

3 ) Ability to set up batsmen despite being a new pacer

4 )  Pace, bounce, aggression, hostility as of today  (  which rekindles in Ambrose  memories of their prime )

5 )  The great WI attack not having a Bumrah-type pacer ( high pace from a short run up and unorthodox action which make the batsmen out of sync  ) ... and such a type of pacer would have lent variety to that great attack.

Then how is such a compliment over the top. ?

Any player's career can go haywire if there are persistent and major injuries.  Everyone knows that.

Roberts did not say that Bumrah is going to end up with 400+ wickets.

In a nutshell ... he talking about Bumrah's high quality and maturity despite being a rookie in the test arena.

The fact that he is a rookie in the test arena is important in this observation by Roberts. 

Well said. I don't think his praise was over the top. Nobody can predict Bumrah's future because of his career choice. He just said what he liked about his bowling especially his ability to have game sense and ability to learn fast. He also said the one type of pacer the WI didnt have is a "freak" meaning unorthodox action

20 hours ago, Shaz1 said:

He is a top pacer for sure. Someone who has potential in breaking plenty of Indian records. I do feel these compliments are over the top. They could easily be for nothing if Bumrah ends up getting a major injury. Bumrah needs few more years to solidify his threshold on international cricket. These compliments to me at the moment feel very unrealistic and played out. Hence why my initial comment.

Fair enough.