Steve Smith reclaims No.1 Test ranking from Virat Kohli

Nikola

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Failing in almost all the knockout matches of big tournaments, especially in the last 6 years, does not count. ?

Big players are defined by performances in big matches and big series / tournaments.

Let's take the example of Kohli in different series in  test matches in recent times without comparing him to others.

---  He averaged 152 against SL at home in late 2017.

--  Averaged 48 against SA in SA in early 2018.

--  Averaged 59 against England in England in mid 2018.

The last 2 series I outlined above will go down as icononic performances in his career as he was the highest scorer from either side in tough batting conditions away from home. It confirmed his status as a great test match batsman.

While the much higher series average of 152 against SL, at home will carry much less weight and will be much easily forgotten. Just batting averages and centuries do not always tell the complete story.

Although overall stats are important and make a player good or bad ... but a player must perform in big matches / tournaments to be remembered as a great.

Exactly that's what I am talking about.

8 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

What are you talking about? There's barely 2 games he's performed in & I'd argue one of them was won on the back of bowlers!

View career summary [change view]
Trophy ICC Champions Trophy (ICC KnockOut) remove ICC Champions Trophy (ICC KnockOut) from query or World Cup remove World Cup from query
Match type tournament finals remove tournament finals from query or tournament semi-finals remove tournament semi-finals from query or tournament quarter-finals remove tournament quarter-finals from query
Ordered by default (ascending)
dblBakArwB.gifReturn to query menu
dblBakArwW.gifCleared query menu
Career averages
  Span Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100 Wkts BBI Bowl Av 5 Ct St Ave Diff  
unfiltered 2008-2019 239 11520 183 60.31 43 4 1/15 166.25 0 122 0 -105.93 Profile
filtered 2011-2019 10 275 96* 34.37 0 0 - - 0 5 0 -  

You're clearly misrepresenting facts here :facepalm:

View career summary [change view]
Trophy World Cup remove World Cup from query
Match type tournament finals remove tournament finals from query or tournament semi-finals remove tournament semi-finals from query or tournament quarter-finals remove tournament quarter-finals from query
Ordered by default (ascending)
dblBakArwB.gifReturn to query menu
dblBakArwW.gifCleared query menu
Career averages
  Span Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100 Wkts BBI Bowl Av 5 Ct St Ave Diff  
unfiltered 2008-2019 239 11520 183 60.31 43 4 1/15 166.25 0 122 0 -105.93 Profile
filtered 2011-2019 6 73 35 12.16 0 0 - - 0 4 0 -  

He just got triggered when people calling out his idol for his non performance in big events.

22 minutes ago, bahubali said:

Against eng we had to chase 180 odd or around 200 and pandya was there at other end he flunked 4th day early morning against stokes and against 50 over old ball.

What's funny is he failed the exact same way, trying to come down the track & flick a ball to the leg side just as he did vs Philander in the first SA test, clearly he doesn't learn :p:

16 hours ago, express bowling said:

In tests, I would put Smith above everyone ever.

Bradman played in an amateur era with one other good team ... and amateur eras are marked by lots of below average players with a handful of naturally talented players doing way better than the rest.

I know I would so I can't disagree with you. If Smith really declines from now and that average starts dipping sharply then I'd probably still consider Sachin, Lara higher for the of overall careers but in terms of peak performance he's already ahead imo. Was averaging 65+ just before getting out yesterday. Lol. 

14 minutes ago, nevada said:

Another clutch innings by Smith. He has top scored for his team in all the innings he has batted in this series. Has any other batsman done that besides perhaps Bradman? 

No actually Bradman didn't do that, there were quite a few number of innings in which he didn't top score.

13 minutes ago, Chrish said:

His weakness is his record against SA. Apart from that, his record is as compete as one can hope to achieve. 

he has an avg of 41 in SA and an overall avg of 41.5 against them. it is a bit low, but still quite good by most standards (except his own). the only team he has not done well against is bangla, but that doesn't really count (2 tests + weak team).

11 minutes ago, Vijy said:

he has an avg of 41 in SA and an overall avg of 41.5 against them. it is a bit low, but still quite good by most standards (except his own). the only team he has not done well against is bangla, but that doesn't really count (2 tests + weak team).

He has only played well against them in one series though. Has one ton in 17 innings iirc. 

It’s not about average to me. He averaged 40 for example in home series against them but still pretty much failed because of being inconsequential. He was in his godly peak but still didn’t do well in two series. 

I would have liked for him to play one or two memorable  knocks; like Kohli did with his 153. That would have done it for me. 

34 minutes ago, Chrish said:

He has only played well against them in one series though. Has one ton in 17 innings iirc. 

It’s not about average to me. He averaged 40 for example in home series against them but still pretty much failed because of being inconsequential. He was in his godly peak but still didn’t do well in two series. 

I would have liked for him to play one or two memorable  knocks; like Kohli did with his 153. That would have done it for me. 

fair enough. he will probably change the record the next time he plays then

On a side note, team management should be careful in managing Kohli’s massive workload. 

I mean playing all the test series in combination with Odis, t20, Ipl; when you play this much Cricket, burnouts and injury would happen. I know they wanna milk the cash cow cause more people would watch if the stars are playing, but still it’s not really good for the players. I fear for Bhumrah too