Actors with great screen presence

zen

On 10/16/2019 at 1:48 AM, zen said:

Hard to go past: Dilip Kumar, Dev Anand, and Raj Kapoor. Followed by likes of Raj Kumar, Mehmood (who used to steal limelight from lead actors), Rajesh Khanna, Amitabh Bachchan, Rajnikant, etc. 

Baap ka Bhai ka Dada ka....

..enough said.

On 10/16/2019 at 6:10 PM, zen said:

:lol:  .... Grant is a life time achievement Oscar winner and a global superstar in his prime. While guys like SRK struggle to be recognized at US airports even in their prime .... Priyanka Chopra makes more news now a days than many of the current desi stars

PS try searching for Cary Grant on Amazon.com to see how popular his films are even now :nod:

All of this is from a US centric point of view.

I know who Cary is. The few grants that he got from the Oscars not withstanding, he is absolutely a lesser superstar than the likes of Akshay, Amitabh  or SRK who are familiar faces world over. Cary has very less recall in the wider world ( an alien concept for most people from North America, from the looks of it) in the world today. Bolly stars are popular in a whole host of geographies. Even in those places where the diaspora is minimal.

8 hours ago, Mariyam said:

All of this is from a US centric point of view.

I know who Cary is. The few grants that he got from the Oscars not withstanding, he is absolutely a lesser superstar than the likes of Akshay, Amitabh  or SRK who are familiar faces world over. Cary has very less recall in the wider world ( an alien concept for most people from North America, from the looks of it) in the world today. Bolly stars are popular in a whole host of geographies. Even in those places where the diaspora is minimal.

Global view but you  are entitled to your opinion .... in a random survey on streets, ppl will struggle to recognize likes of Akshay .... Tomorrow, you may even imagine that Ashwariya is a bigger star than Sofia Loren :dontknow:

On 10/21/2019 at 6:43 PM, zen said:

Global view but you  are entitled to your opinion .... in a random survey on streets, ppl will struggle to recognize likes of Akshay .... Tomorrow, you may even imagine that Ashwariya is a bigger star than Sofia Loren :dontknow:

Depends on where that street is. Akshay may actually be well recognized in Canada! Cary Grant however wouldn't be as much of a global superstar.

Bollywood stars are generally well recognized. I can share an anecdote here. A couple of years ago me and my husband ran into Vivek Oberoi (whose career has basically come to a standstill) in the lobby of a hotel in Istanbul. He was wearing goggles and a cap and had his collar upturned. When we asked him why the attempt to hide his identity, he said that the previous day he was mobbed by the crowd and his security had a tough time getting him to the shoot. His security insisted that he try and conceal his identity.

And this is Vivek Oberoi, who at best is a has-been. 

On 10/20/2019 at 10:59 AM, Real McCoy said:

You are right Govinda was a pure entertainer. I like this song. I used to love hindi movies as a kid in the 90s. 00s spoiled it for me with shitty storylines added up with extra raunchy material

I don't think Govinda did much of the raunchy stuff. Govinda+ Dhawan + Kader Khan mastered the slapstick comedy shtick of the 90s.

I can watch those movies again and break into a hysterical laugh. 

And I love Govinda's dance + expressions + sense of dressing in the song you posted.

And in this song too:

Not sure if serious?

Mehmood had great screen presence?

I read some where that he would even dominate heroes and people would go to watch him. It was a double edged sword for heroes because at the same time presence of mehmood guarantees good box office returns.

That counts for screen presence though.

Depends on where that street is. Akshay may actually be well recognized in Canada! Cary Grant however wouldn't be as much of a global superstar.

Bollywood stars are generally well recognized. I can share an anecdote here. A couple of years ago me and my husband ran into Vivek Oberoi (whose career has basically come to a standstill) in the lobby of a hotel in Istanbul. He was wearing goggles and a cap and had his collar upturned. When we asked him why the attempt to hide his identity, he said that the previous day he was mobbed by the crowd and his security had a tough time getting him to the shoot. His security insisted that he try and conceal his identity.

And this is Vivek Oberoi, who at best is a has-been. 

Global audiences would recognize Hollywood stars more than Bollywood stars. Mobbing is dependent upon where you are. In Hollywood, major stars can walk w/o getting bothered much

I have run into many stars/actors at the airports in India, and usually, they stared at me trying to recognize me as if some kind of a star :dontknow:

1 minute ago, zen said:

Global audiences would recognize Hollywood stars more than Bollywood stars. Mobbing is dependent upon where you are. In Hollywood, major stars can walk w/o getting bothered much

I have run into many stars/actors at the airports in India, and usually, they stared at me trying to recognize me as if some kind of a star :dontknow:

Not true. May be in Beverly Hills or some parts of NYC.  They live in their own bubble too.

Forget fans the Paparazzi culture in the US is much worse than in India however we have a lot more  jobless people.

I went to  a cousin’s wedding few years back . Her groom was related to an apparently popular TV serial character actor . The moment he entered he got mobbed as if he was the second coming of Daniel Day Lewis 

29 minutes ago, maniac said:

Not true. May be in Beverly Hills or some parts of NYC.  They live in their own bubble too.

Forget fans the Paparazzi culture in the US is much worse than in India however we have a lot more  jobless people.

I went to  a cousin’s wedding few years back . Her groom was related to an apparently popular TV serial character actor . The moment he entered he got mobbed as if he was the second coming of Daniel Day Lewis 

:lol: Which is why I do not consider “being mobbed” as a reliable metric. 

9 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Not sure if serious?

Mehmood had great screen presence?

Not commenting on Mehmood in particular, but screen presence is not about looks, but how they project their persona on screen. They have to show that they are in character and make the viewer believe it is a real person. In that regard, a lot of natural actors have a great screen presence - Like Anupam Kher, NShah, Om Puri etc. I don't know if the OP has the same opinion about the subject. Dev Anand had a green screen presence, so did Dilip Kumar, as much as any Hollywood dude like Cary Grant or Gregory Peck (Aha he was missing in he OP), Hollywood's Dev Anand!

17 hours ago, maniac said:

I read some where that he would even dominate heroes and people would go to watch him. It was a double edged sword for heroes because at the same time presence of mehmood guarantees good box office returns.

That counts for screen presence though.

Which movie(s) are you talking about?

The few movies that I've seen, Mehmood is more or less a comic caricature. Much like Johnny Lever.

9 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Not commenting on Mehmood in particular, but screen presence is not about looks, but how they project their persona on screen. They have to show that they are in character and make the viewer believe it is a real person. In that regard, a lot of natural actors have a great screen presence - Like Anupam Kher, NShah, Om Puri etc. I don't know if the OP has the same opinion about the subject. Dev Anand had a green screen presence, so did Dilip Kumar, as much as any Hollywood dude like Cary Grant or Gregory Peck (Aha he was missing in he OP), Hollywood's Dev Anand!

I know what screen presence is!!! 

In fact there are quite a few actors who look really good but hardly have any screen presence. Arjun Rampal, Aishwarya Rai come to mind.

Farhan Akhtar in Rock On 2, made it a point to be a part of each frame in the movie. And with a 10x zoom. But he also has no screen presence.

12 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

For Bollywood, I have listed:

Hard to go past: Dilip Kumar, Dev Anand, and Raj Kapoor. Followed by likes of Raj Kumar, Mehmood (who used to steal limelight from lead actors), Rajesh Khanna, Amitabh Bachchan, Rajnikant, etc. 

There are a lot of good actors but the idea is to list 5-6 of the top ones.  Kher, Puri, Shah, etc., are good actors but will not command a screen like someone like Dilip Kumar for e.g.:

^ the segment includes Pran, who is good actor as well! 

22 hours ago, Mariyam said:

I don't think Govinda did much of the raunchy stuff. Govinda+ Dhawan + Kader Khan mastered the slapstick comedy shtick of the 90s.

I can watch those movies again and break into a hysterical laugh. 

And I love Govinda's dance + expressions + sense of dressing in the song you posted.

And in this song too:

who can forget all those govinda songs in the 90s being shot in Europe  where he would dance in his typical style with goras looking at him like wtf is going on? :hysterical::hysterical: