Why are we reluctant to develop or pick the next gen 140 k + pacers ?

On 11/4/2019 at 6:24 PM, ShoonyaSifar said:

So the criterion of adding 5-7 kmph to the speed readings on domestic speed guns is not applicable for Porel? It would make him 128-140 kmph, avg of ~135 kmph, For a 21 year old, that is excellent. Could potentially become 140 kmph with conditioning and strength training

Forget it, Porel is from Bengal. Be glad these "observers" aren't saying he bowls high 90s to early 100s (kph that is, not mph).

8 hours ago, rkt.india said:

If players were only selected based on these stats, we didn't need selectors.  Statsguru was good enough. Tell me what you don't already know about Kaul, Unadkat. Why they were picked while there are bowlers done better than these two. 

Look at the top, Why gourav yadav wasn't picked. The guy is pretty quick for what I have seen.

You don't pick based on stats alone but good bowlers have good stats too.It is very rare you find a good  bowler with bad stats.

These are budding youngsters so they might have stats, it is ok. I

28 minutes ago, putrevus said:

You don't pick based on stats alone but good bowlers have good stats too.It is very rare you find a good  bowler with bad stats.

These are budding youngsters so they might have stats, it is ok. I

There are many variables. Like Mavi just played 5 games averaged 23. Mohsin Khan averaged 15. Yash Thakur averaged 18, Nalkande 22. 

Also you can't keep playing TTFs forever.

52 minutes ago, abc said:

Forget it, Porel is from Bengal. Be glad these "observers" aren't saying he bowls high 90s to early 100s (kph that is, not mph).

I am from Bengal too.  But Porel is not bowling quickly nowadays. Him being from my state does not change that fact.

I have outlined his many good qualities in an earlier post ... but he needs to both add pace as well as practice sustaining pace in 5 day matches.

Edited by express bowling
1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

There are many variables. Like Mavi just played 5 games averaged 23. Mohsin Khan averaged 15. Yash Thakur averaged 18, Nalkande 22. 

Also you can't keep playing TTFs forever.

So why do you think they are selecting TTFs. I would have liked to see all these young fast bowlers over Unadkats,who are useless.

There should be a rule that atleast two young fast bowlers for each team have to play in all major trophies.

26 minutes ago, putrevus said:

So why do you think they are selecting TTFs. I would have liked to see all these young fast bowlers over Unadkats,who are useless.

There should be a rule that atleast two young fast bowlers for each team have to play in all major trophies.

Hmm exactly that way you will be harnessing the best resources at your disposal and these guys will not feel rejected like they feel now

3 hours ago, putrevus said:

Having caveats like that will be even worse and give rise to favoritism  and pigeon hole the actual talent even further.

Rather have these TTF flop miserably and steps taken to get in the actual talent.

Playing with a serious injury doesn’t make a 150k bowler start bowling at 125ks. Maybe a bowler may not be able to get through a spell that’s about it. Porel is what he is a bang average trundler who might have had that odd game in rhythm where he hit about 140 clicks.

Mavi,Nagarkoti are the real deal along with Prasidh,Saini and Siraj whom I still have hopes for

5 hours ago, maniac said:

Playing with a serious injury doesn’t make a 150k bowler start bowling at 125ks. Maybe a bowler may not be able to get through a spell that’s about it. Porel is what he is a bang average trundler who might have had that odd game in rhythm where he hit about 140 clicks.

Mavi,Nagarkoti are the real deal along with Prasidh,Saini and Siraj whom I still have hopes for

I don't see the point of trying young or new pacers who are generally or mostly bowling at less than 135 kph (  even worse when they are mostly bowling at less than 130 k  ) ... unless they display lots of other amazing skills.

And I don't see any medium pacer in India now who has amazing skills  (  like combining metronomical accuracy with steep bounce  or  great accuracy with amazing ability to move the ball. )

And even with great skills ... medium pacers usually find it tough in the subcontinent as the slow pitches don't provide the pace ... as we have seen with Philander in the last series.

As we play more than 60% of our matches in the subcontinent, we are better off trying 135 k to 145 k or higher pacers mostly ... unless we come across an amazingly skilled pacer.

On 11/6/2019 at 8:40 PM, maniac said:

Porel bowls quite good pace given that he has the added X-factor - steep bounce. (In other words, his X-factor is not limited purely to pace.)

In fact, if you add the mandatory 5 kph you need to compare domestic speed guns with international ones, you come out with 130 kph. Glenn McGrath's average pace was 131 kph.

22 hours ago, abc said:

Porel bowls quite good pace given that he has the added X-factor - steep bounce. (In other words, his X-factor is not limited purely to pace.)

In fact, if you add the mandatory 5 kph you need to compare domestic speed guns with international ones, you come out with 130 kph. Glenn McGrath's average pace was 131 kph.

that was when he entered mid-30s. for much of his career, McG operated comfortably in the mid to high 130s. He was also a deadly metronome, got swing, and extracted bounce.

On 11/8/2019 at 11:36 PM, abc said:

. Glenn McGrath's average pace was 131 kph.

Speed guns were rarely used during the first 5 years of McGrath's career. 

When speed guns usage became regular, in 1999, McGrath was almost 30.

Even then, he averaged 86 mph ( 138 kph) with a fastest of 88 mph ( 142 kph ), during the first WC 1999 match when he was clocked.  It is quite probable that a rookie McGrath was a bit faster than this during 1994 to 1997.

All those average speeds of 131 kph were when McGrath was well into his 30s and had played 8+ years of international cricket.

Edited by express bowling
17 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Even then, he averaged 86 mph ( 138 kph) with a fastest of 88 mph ( 142 kph ), during the first WC 1999 match when he was clocked.  It is quite probable that a rookie McGrath was a bit faster than this during 1994 to 1997.

All those average speeds of 131 kph were when McGrath was well into his 30s and had played 7+ years of international cricket.

Even in 2003 WC, McGrath bowled 135-142. With that height and extra bounce that is enough.

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

All those average speeds of 131 kph were when McGrath was well into his 30s and had played 8+ years of international cricket.

Watch the 97 tour of west indies. Against a rampaging Lara, Mcrgath bowled  fiery throughout the series, especially the last test match. He ran in quick and would be bowling at about 145ish-147ish. From what I read lately, Mcgrath was clocked at 147 in 99WC.

6 hours ago, express bowling said:

The point is, even then, with an average pace of 131 kph, his steep bounce and accuracy made him a very difficult bowler to face, and a bowler every team would select if they could.

There is no reason why Porel could not develop into *that* bowler.

5 minutes ago, abc said:

The point is, even then, with an average pace of 131 kph, his steep bounce and accuracy made him a very difficult bowler to face, and a bowler every team would select if they could.

There is no reason why Porel could not develop into *that* bowler.

No he cannot develop into Mcgrath.There is only one Mcgrath and he was mean sob on the field which gave him that edge not many people have it.

Mcgrath greastest attribute was his accuracy along with slight movement of the pitch along with the bounce.

If Porel becomes 1/10th of Mcgrath India will have a very good bowler.