New Zealand tour of Australia , Test Series Thread

ssurenn

Marnus Labuschagne now averages more than Smith. I know I know he's only a few tests old and made only 1400 odd runs but you gotta admit that such a thought was unbelievable a few months ago. Australia will regain its batting mojo of their glory days if they can settle their middle order.

6 hours ago, Stan AF said:

Marnus Labuschagne now averages more than Smith. I know I know he's only a few tests old and made only 1400 odd runs but you gotta admit that such a thought was unbelievable a few months ago. Australia will regain its batting mojo of their glory days if they can settle their middle order.

And Mayank Agarwal averages more than Labuschagne.

I think this is more comparable.

What saddens me is that everyone is talking about Labu  but Mayank is hardly getting noticed. 

Both have scored all their centuries at home.

If anything, Mayank's runs at home are against 2 top pacers, Rabada and Philander. Labu has played just 1 test in the last few months against any sub-25 bowler 

And both have some half centuries in one important away tour each.

Edited by express bowling
6 hours ago, Stan AF said:

Let him play overseas first- even Rohit Sharma had many runs during the home season.  Marnus is a class batsman but ill reserve my full judgement till he performs as well as Smith in the SC

21 minutes ago, express bowling said:

And Mayank Agarwal averages more than Labuschagne.

I think this is more comparable.

What saddens me is that everyone is talking about Labu  but Mayank is hardly getting noticed. 

Both have scored all their centuries at home.

If anything, Mayank's runs at home are against 2 top pacers, Rabada and Philander. Labu has played just 1 test in the last few months against any sub-25 bowler 

And both have some half centuries in one important away tour each.

Let's see how he does in NZ.

Meek capitulation by the Kiwis.  Could well be the start of end of the golden era of their cricket history. 

Makes our next test series with them more interesting now. Will Kiwis roll out flat pattas or green pitches like 2002? I wouldn’t be surprised to see heavily bowler friendly tracks. Will be NZ’s best chance.

Aus will be looking for some payback next year when we go there. We should be aware of that and act accordingly. What I mean by that is not to hit the pub early. Bewda and TM this is for you :giggle: Aus is also strengthened by Smith, Warner and Pattinson to go with Cummins, Starc, Labushacgne and Lyon. We should be prepared well for this series. If we beat them with this team, I don't think anyone will doubt our previous success there.

7 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Aus will be looking for some payback next year when we go there. We should be aware of that and act accordingly. What I mean by that is not to hit the pub early. Bewda and TM this is for you :giggle: Aus is also strengthened by Smith, Warner and Pattinson to go with Cummins, Starc, Labushacgne and Lyon. We should be prepared well for this series. If we beat them with this team, I don't think anyone will doubt our previous success there.

That is utter nonsense, one tour has got nothing to do with next one. Australia beat India in 2004 when Sachin was hurt and Bhajji did not play in a test.Ganguly the captain did not play due to flu.Madras test got rained out which India would have won easily.

Aussies have not won series in India since then.No one doubted their series win then why are we doubting  and putting * to our win in 2018 ourselves.Indians did not ask Steve Smith to get suspended.

48 minutes ago, putrevus said:

That is utter nonsense, one tour has got nothing to do with next one. Australia beat India in 2004 when Sachin was hurt and Bhajji did not play in a test.Ganguly the captain did not play due to flu.Madras test got rained out which India would have won easily.

Aussies have not won series in India since then.No one doubted their series win then why are we doubting  and putting * to our win in 2018 ourselves.Indians did not ask Steve Smith to get suspended.

Its not a yes or no answer. Therefore its not nonsense. Its called an opinion. I didn't say I'm questioning the win there last time. I just said it would be a universal yes if we win it the second time around. There is a difference you see. Talking about Australia's win in India in 2004, we are talking about a side that is universally acclaimed as the best side at that time comparable to the West Indies of the 80s. We are not in the same league as them yet.

Also Aussies in their last tour almost defeated us with VVS, Dravid and Bhaji turning the tables back on them. They defeated every team home and away apart from us in that time period. India on the other hand were beaten in SA 2-1 and the sole win was a dead rubber. We were also beaten by England 4-1. The Aussies of 00s would put more of a fight than this team. Players get hurt all the time. That shouldn't be an excuse. I didn't say Smith and Warner missing as an excuse either. Put your blue tinted glasses aside and think about it.

Anyway my main point was not about the legitimacy of the win. My point is that they would be looking for some payback and it wont be easy this time around. That's why I want the TM to plan accordingly. We have the Ashes 2010 as the best example. Eng won the ashes down under 3-1 and what happened the next time they visited there. They were blanked out 5-0 and beaten thoroughly. There is only one team who has beaten Aus consecutively. Its SA. They beat them in 08, 12, 16. Infact I don't recall Aus winning any home series against them after McGrath and Warne retired. Maybe we should learn from them.

Edited by Real McCoy
10 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Its not a yes or no answer. Therefore its not nonsense. Its called an opinion. I didn't say I'm questioning the win there last time. I just said it would be a universal yes if we win it the second time around. There is a difference you see. Talking about Australia's win in India in 2004, we are talking about a side that is universally acclaimed as the best side at that time comparable to the West Indies of the 80s. We are not in the same league as them yet.

Also Aussies in their last tour almost defeated us with VVS, Dravid and Bhaji turning the tables back on them. They defeated every team home and away apart from us in that time period. India on the other hand were beaten in SA 2-1 and the sole win was a dead rubber. We were also beaten by England 4-1. The Aussies of 00s would put more of a fight than this team. Players get hurt all the time. That shouldn't be an excuse. I didn't say Smith and Warner missing as an excuse either. Put your blue tinted glasses aside and think about it.

Anyway my main point was not about the legitimacy of the win. My point is that they would be looking for some payback and it wont be easy this time around. That's why I want the TM to plan accordingly. We have the Ashes 2010 as the best example. Eng won the ashes down under 3-1 and what happened the next time they visited there. They were blanked out 5-0 and beaten thoroughly. There is only one team who has beaten Aus consecutively. Its SA. They beat them in 08, 12, 16. Infact I don't recall Aus winning any home series against them after McGrath and Warne retired. Maybe we should learn from them.

So if India lose everywhere and win in Australia again will it legitimize the 2018 series win.IMO India needs to win everywhere starting with NZ series.SA  have beaten Australia in Australia but have also lost to Australia in SA.Australia have beaten SA in SA in 2006, 2008. 2014 and latest series  was tied 1-1 before Sandpaper gate happened, so I would not rate their SA series win in Australia as high as any other team's win in Australia.

Aussies will look for revenge, Aussies don't lose at home that often.Anyway my main point is irrespective of the next series result it should not take  anything away from the 2018 series win.Every series has life of its own, form and health of players dictate the series results.