Year 2019 Review

vvvslaxman

3 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Well not the first it has happened for us. WC 1996, WC 1987, WC 2003. .. they are still better than WC 2007. 

shudnt be compared

2003 n 2007....every team was in real competing to come 2nd to supreme australia

in 1996 we were good in home condition but home advantage wud also mean for pakistan n sri lanka. That team had many issues

This time we were fav with england and every team had some issue or other

30 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

shudnt be compared

2003 n 2007....every team was in real competing to come 2nd to supreme australia

in 1996 we were good in home condition but home advantage wud also mean for pakistan n sri lanka. That team had many issues

This time we were fav with england and every team had some issue or other

Actually prior to world cup everyone predicted England to win. They won. They were the favorites. They won. NO big deal. On those flat decks where spinners could be negated easily we were handicapped with a top heavy side. At best we could have been the finalists. 

10 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Actually prior to world cup everyone predicted England to win. They won. They were the favorites. They won. NO big deal. On those flat decks where spinners could be negated easily we were handicapped with a top heavy side. At best we could have been the finalists. 

yes eng were fav but we were not considered far behind

It was england who lost to sri lanka n pak in round robin.....we lost just to england

Yes england no doubt was a better build team then us but in final anything can happen on the day as pak showed that in CT final . To be honest NZ wud have won or tied if not for stupid rules like overthrow from bat or super over outcome . Nz had far more issues then us 

18 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

yes eng were fav but we were not considered far behind

It was england who lost to sri lanka n pak in round robin.....we lost just to england

Yes england no doubt was a better build team then us but in final anything can happen on the day as pak showed that in CT final . To be honest NZ wud have won or tied if not for stupid rules like overthrow from bat or super over outcome . Nz had far more issues then us 

We were always worried about this one weakness which is top order collapse. Even before CT 2017 final Pakistanis prayers were more towards getting top 3 out miraculously early. That was all needed to beat India. That is still the case. Get top 3. Things had to go in a specific way for us to win matches on the trot. It did go upto a point. Our team was not prepared for uncharacteristic situations. Highly undercooked middle order. Even today if India plays in a semi final while chasing, if the top 3 goes we will lose. We are still in that situation. Iyer definitely is an addition. But he alone is not enough.

51 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

We were always worried about this one weakness which is top order collapse. Even before CT 2017 final Pakistanis prayers were more towards getting top 3 out miraculously early. That was all needed to beat India. That is still the case. Get top 3. Things had to go in a specific way for us to win matches on the trot. It did go upto a point. Our team was not prepared for uncharacteristic situations. Highly undercooked middle order. Even today if India plays in a semi final while chasing, if the top 3 goes we will lose. We are still in that situation. Iyer definitely is an addition. But he alone is not enough.

You cannot term it that way,every side put their best players at top

Problem is our top 3 our big time chokers,one of them was needed to carry his bat that day and we would have cruised to the final,but the tendency to bottle up by our finest batsmen in crucial moments have been our Achilles heel in recent times,we were 5/3 ,it has become a norm ,you can sum it up as choker top 3

On 12/22/2019 at 12:09 PM, zen said:

I agree for most parts .... positives for me were the test series win in Aus .... and MI win in IPL 

As for performances: Pujara in Aus is easily one of the ATG  performances for India esp. in an overseas series win. Other memorable performances being Gavaskar in WI and Sehwag in Pak :hatsoff:

Both were the results of advice :)

On 12/22/2019 at 12:50 PM, vvvslaxman said:

BATTING THIS YEAR

In Tests

Agarwal, Rahane, Pujara, Kohli, Rohit, Vihari Jadeja all reasonably success stories with bat

In ODIs

Would you believe it Dhoni has the highest average for us in 2019 :cantstop:  Averaging 60

Rohit, Rahul, Kohli, decent year.

Dhawan 18 innings 583 runs 36.43 avge 2 fifties 2 centuries. 

It included brilliant  innings such as the notout vs England in wc 

On 12/22/2019 at 4:59 PM, SK_IH said:

World Cup was the only thing that mattered this year tbh. So, for a dominating team like India missing an opportunity to win that will always remain the abiding memory of the team. However, 2019 was the year of Rohit the batsman and Shami the bowler. Rohit specifically is now a legend of the game. May he continue his form in 2020. 

Win in Aus was a sweet beginning to the year .Virat was prolific but once again disappointed and missed a golden opportunity to fortify his name as the undisputed greatest ODI player to have played the game. He has huge monkey to get off his back.

I'd argue given India's previous and recent success in international LO tournaments and the fact that they never won a test series in Australia before, the thing that mattered most was winning test series in Australia. I'm sure most purists would agreed. 

6 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

I'd argue given India's previous and recent success in international LO tournaments and the fact that they never won a test series in Australia before, the thing that mattered most was winning test series in Australia. I'm sure most purists would agreed. 

India won the test series in England in early 80s but it was the wc win that changed the course of not just Indian cricket but world cricket.

We won in England and WI  in 2007 and for the first time in history won a test in SA but once again it was a WT20 that changed the face of cricket.

Look I am not one of those sour puss who is going to water down the achievement of the Aus series win that it didn’t have their best batsmen because I know weaker Aus teams have dominated stronger teams at home.

The high of the Aus series is directly equal to the low of the WC loss, you can’t use it as a measure to mask other failures.

Edited by maniac
40 minutes ago, maniac said:

India won the test series in England in early 80s but it was the wc win that changed the course of not just Indian cricket but world cricket.

We won in England and WI  in 2007 and for the first time in history won a test in SA but once again it was a WT20 that changed the face of cricket.

Look I am not one of those sour puss who is going to water down the achievement of the Aus series win that it didn’t have their best batsmen because I know weaker Aus teams have dominated stronger teams at home.

The high of the Aus series is directly equal to the low of the WC loss, you can’t use it as a measure to mask other failures.

for Indian cricket history, given its previous achievements, it mattered more to win in Australia 2019 than win the WC2019. Do you disagree with this point?

7 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

for Indian cricket history, given its previous achievements, it mattered more to win in Australia 2019 than win the WC2019. Do you disagree with this point?

I agree Aus win was special but not enough to overshadow the WC disappointment. Wc loss hurts because it was there for the taking.

Obviously: high of the year- Aus win

Low of the year: wc loss

3 minutes ago, maniac said:

I agree Aus win was special but not enough to overshadow the WC disappointment. Wc loss hurts because it was there for the taking.

Obviously: high of the year- Aus win

Low of the year: wc loss

I'm not talking about overshadowing- that's a different discussion. Just what was the single biggest potential achievement? This is a very specific response to statements like "WC was only thing that mattered this year". 

1 hour ago, mancalledsting said:

Who the hell are purists? I know only cricket fans.