Nirbhaya case verdict : Rapist's to be hanged

vayuu1

1 hour ago, Alam_dar said:

What an eye opening Documentary. It answered almost all the questions. Thanks @Gollum

I only wish that any local Media House would have made it instead of BBC.   I don't think BBC reaches to the big part of the Indian society. All should watch it and learn these important lessons. 

I haven't watched it yet cos I won't be able to control my anger. This was a famous doc, the maker flouted many jail rules IIRC. Since it is available on video sharing platforms I think many might have watched it. 

Edited by Gollum

3 hours ago, Gollum said:

I haven't watched it yet cos I won't be able to control my anger. This was a famous doc, the maker flouted many jail rules IIRC. Since it is available on video sharing platforms I think many might have watched it. 

Many evils were mentioned who took part in this incident.  For example, this primitive thinking of the society that boys have preference upon the girls, or this that society thinks if any girl is going out at night, then she has a loose character. But the biggest part was perhaps played by the "poverty", where parents are not able to properly "EDUCATE" their several children. 

And thus the biggest "solution" is also the "education", and only this could take out the society from old thinking. Even the poor ones could also be educated by the schools/society, if parents are unable to do so. 

I am relieved that the victim's family finally has closure. Every time this hanging got postponed, it was further pain to them. The perps' families are also badly impacted, through no fault of their own. The idiots brought so much grief upon so many people and ruined their own lives. Vinay and Pawan were teenagers when this happened, barely starting their adult life. And it seems the minor who got let off was the cruelest of them all. I wonder why they couldn't try him as an adult given the gruesome nature of the crime and his involvement. 

I came across a video where they were giving a sort of running commentary about the hanging early this morning. I found it disturbing. Look, you gotta do what you gotta do but there's no need for a live broadcast. A simple announcement after the sentence is carried over would have been enough. And a large number of people gathered outside the jail, which is a strict no-no under the circumstances. I wish they had made it clear that only the victim's family and the condemned's family can come and no one else. 

Edited by nevada

4 hours ago, Gollum said:

They had banned it at that time because they had named the victim and the narrative was nation-shaming, men-shaming. All that is warranted in Nirbhaya case, it is a question of what we learn from the incident. It looks like the lesson learnt is, encounter them instead of jailing them.

4 hours ago, NameGoesHere said:

I'm a liberal. Personally, I sometimes even have had nightmares over someone being hanged.

But with Nirbhaya's murders, well they had it coming and some.  I won't lose much sleep over them. 

Even I feel very bad about the deliberate act of taking away a human's life at an appointed hour. But for the cruelest of crimes, the ultimate punishment has to be given. 

6 hours ago, Stradlater said:

Qaum pe kalank saala. 

I don't understand what he is trying to do. He tried every trick in the book to prolong the hanging and good for him it showcased his talent and will land him new business, but talking trash about the victim is a no-no. Yes, an argument can be made that women put themselves at risk going out at night time but that doesn't mean they are characterless sirens luring innocent men to beast-hood. 

3 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Such liberals are worse than coronavirus.

Seems like an attention seeking troll. Just because 7 years have passed and the case fell off the public's radar, it doesn't mean a mother's grief will go away and justice is delivered. She sought the maximum punishment possible under the law, and justifiably so.

2 hours ago, nevada said:

If it's anything I'm scared by, it's not the murdering punks who got what they had coming.  

It's folks like their lawyers.  From the article:

I spoke to two lawyers who had defended the murderers of the 23-year-old student at their trial, and what they said was extremely revealing.

"In our society, we never allow our girls to come out from the house after 6:30 or 7:30 or 8:30 in the evening with any unknown person," said one of the lawyers, ML Sharma.

"You are talking about man and woman as friends. Sorry, that doesn't have any place in our society. We have the best culture. In our culture, there is no place for a woman."

The other lawyer, AP Singh, had said in a previous televised interview: "If my daughter or sister engaged in pre-marital activities and disgraced herself and allowed herself to lose face and character by doing such things, I would most certainly take this sort of sister or daughter to my farmhouse, and in front of my entire family, I would put petrol on her and set her alight."

He did not disown that comment when I put it to him. "This is my stand," he said. "I still today stand on that reply.

If these are the 'respectable' people in our society is it any wonder that Nirbhaya like cases happen?

27 minutes ago, NameGoesHere said:

If it's anything I'm scared by, it's not the murdering punks who got what they had coming.  

If these are the 'respectable' people in our society is it any wonder that Nirbhaya like cases happen?

Somebody recently schooled me about defence lawyers. It's their profession, to defend the undefendable. It's one of the pillars of a moral democratic  society, and they shouldn't be judged with the moral compass of those not in that profession. It could be an argument from the lawyers, as they would use anything in defence and victim shaming is one. The Judge is the one who shouldn't be swayed, as was the case. But to say, there shouldn't be defence lawyers, will be cause for anarchy.  Powerful people can then use that law leading to a totalitarian society.

Edited by coffee_rules

50 minutes ago, NameGoesHere said:

Yes, very sad! I don't understand such mindset despite having education and exposure to modern society. 

24 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Somebody recently schooled me about defence lawyers. It's their profession, to defend the undefendable. It's one of the pillars of a moral democratic  society, and they shouldn't be judged with the moral compass of those not in that profession. It could be an argument from the lawyers, as they would use anything in defence and victim shaming is one. The Judge is the one who shouldn't be swayed, as was the case. But to say, there shouldn't be defence lawyers, will be cause for anarchy.  Powerful people can then use that law leading to a totalitarian society.

I know of and have worked alongside corporate lawyers and thus have some idea of the civil/ criminal side.  There are many examples where they defended the indefensible.

I have believed for more than two decades that defence lawyers are very necessary and often are castigated unfairly.

That is not the point if you see the quotes of the lawyers who defended NIrbhaya's rapists/ killers.

One, and this is a technical point, victim shaming regrettably happens in a courtroom, but with a judge and jury (as relevant) present and with defined rules.  It's somewhat ok if it happens there. But in no circumstances is it ok to happen outside a courtroom.

Two, These lawyers are talking of their personal beliefs- which is the scary part.

Nirbhaya was fearless to her last breath. These four dogs, on the other hand, were crying, screaming and throwing themselves at the feet of jail staff begging for mercy (Link: https://www.khaleejtimes.com/world/india/nirbhaya-rape-case-convicts-were-crying-screaming-before-hanging).

Look at the differences in the legacy of Nirbhaya and the convicts:

• Convicts: There were cheers, celebrations and sweets being distributed upon news of their hanging
  • Nirbhaya: The definition of rape has been expanded, more fast track courts have been set up, laws amended, legal loopholes exposed etc

As for the likes of A P Singh, M L Sharma and others, those bastards will get what's coming to them.

13 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Such liberals are worse than coronavirus.

Is MC k ghar me kisi j saath hua hota phir aaj tak waley jab puchtey kaisa lag rha ha hai aapko...apke behen, beti ki itni bedardii se ijjat luti gayi aur maar diya gaya. BKL sala.