Let's stay strong and fight COVID-19: Virat Kohli

nevada

1 hour ago, New guy said:

Doctor's are not Gods but they have studied medicine and know more about diseases than some random doofus spouting pseudo science on the internet. Imagine if this happens in any other field. I am in Data science and analytics and some doofus comes and says, hey your model based on statistics is wrong because my gut instinct tells me otherwise and my uncle totally did this thing and it worked! Imagine any of your the areas you guys work in and then some layman saying they know more than you because they have seen some random person? Also imagine thinking taking personal examples somehow proves your point. That's like me saying that since everyone in my family has blue eyes that means only blue eyes are natural 

Small Pox is a good example because it killed millions every year and was one of the deadliest disease humanity faced which could have made our species extinct. No medicine worked on it once you got the symptoms. Thankfully science and medicine figured out a solution when they invented vaccines. And your grandparents survive because they benefited from herd immunity because enough people got vaccinated. No one is a superman to be immune to small pox, no matter how healthy they were.The way the disease attacked our body, our body could never deal with it unless it killed the disease on entry, which would only happen if you already had anti-bodies against it.  Humanity survived because people took the disease seriously and vaccinated which caused enough herd immunity to prevent the disease 

If Coronovirus had happened 50 years before it would have wiped out more of humanity than today where a fraction of those numbers will die.

You talk about doctors not curing disease when small pox and polio and other many deadly diseases are completely eradicated and we are now having many successful trials of curing AIDS. In deadly diseases like rabies the invention of the rabies serum has prevented thousands of deaths each year. Tetanus vaccines now means we have a fraction of tetanus deaths when once it was very, very common. There are 100s of diseases which can be completely cured if you go to a doctor and 1000s which have been completely eradicated. In other diseases like cancer, heart attacks, strokes, diabetes, people are living way longer and more fruitful life with much lesser pain. People living to the 90s and beyond are way more now than before

The biggest danger in any outbreak is when people take it less seriously or go against doctor's advice. During the Spanish flu, doctors had advised against large gatherings but there were couple of areas in Spain who thought doctors didn't know anything and their church leaders gathered people and prayed every single day. The result was that these areas were the most affected with the largest death rates.

Our bodies are fascinating. The way they work. They are built to stand most things. But there are some things which are dangerous for us because they are different from the way our body protects against attackers. So they are like kryptonite to superman. And they affect more when we are weak or have existing problems or are old or babies. In those cases it's important to understand how these diseases attack and base our cures on them. Bacteria can be cured by anti-biotics because they have more complex cell structures and are more living beings while viruses are not technically even living beings, so are more simple and therefore more difficult to attack. So in those cases its increasing our immunity which helps

We have a tendency to romanticize the past but most of that is because of survivor bias. Because your grandparents were lucky to live long and healthy lives you can brag about them but for the thousands whose grandparents died painful deaths because of small pox, they wont brag on the internet. So we will only see the exception. The truth is that we are living in one of the golden periods of science and medicine. We are healthier, live longer and happier lives on an average than those in the past. And we should be thankful that we live in this age because even 50 years ago, we would have lost half our loved ones to coronavirus 

You probably would have never heard of the term "herd immunity" until coronavirus came along :phehe: as you are glued on to every news channel you can find out of fear. Herd is a term used for animals. Do you even think why these media outlets use this term. This is what they think of us. Following popular media, news, movies, songs constitutes herd mentality.

My grandparents lived in a small village with only their relatives. Can't be more than 100 people. Never got vaccinated much less have modern capabilities like TV or electricity. Even if vaccines were available, I'm assuming based on my father side relatives, they would not have taken it because of our rebellious nature and distrust of modern stuff. My mom's side relatives used to make fun of them by calling them country brutes as the mom's side lived in cities. My mom has more disease and went to the doctor quite frequently and consumed a ton of modern medicine and was always sick. Dad never even took a pain killer even if he had a severe headache and rarely visited hospital. I take after my father

I may not know more about the doctor's profession but you don't either. So your point is as reliable as mine. You trust modern medicine and I have my doubts. Did you atleast check out why they treat people instead of curing them. You don't research stuff but come here talking trash about my posts. Go find out the difference between treatment and cure. I dare you. This is your homework :laugh:

On 3/19/2020 at 2:56 AM, Real McCoy said:

@Cricketphile Care to comment on why you trollvoted a few posts of mine. If you have something different to say, provide a counterpoint than just hitting a button

OK, Since I don't log in often, I apologize for the delay in replying. Before I begin, let me say my response was not personal and only regarding those particular posts/comments. It was also a while back so I may have forgotten the complete context. However, I disagreed with your general argument that the medical establishment and doctors are mostly for making money and that they would want to keep the diseases in order to keep their job security. Your comment on vaccines and other medicines and how it's mostly just paranoia and media sensationalism that keeps it going also made me dislike it. I completely agreed with 'New Guy's" points in this context where he pointed out how ur posts bordered on pseudoscience and is very similar to an anti vax lobby would say. Your anecdote about your gradparents living well past old age and how villages have it all rosy does not hold up to what we know on vaccines. There may be a few cases/anecdotes that you mentioned but there's no question that the overwhelming envidence points to how the medical world and doctors have made our lives better and have eradicated many diseases, which could have easily wiped out humankind (something that 'New Guy' pointed out as well). I wanted to dislike your posts in that context, but I couldn't find an option to do it (I'm fairly new here so I concede that I may not completely know how it works). The troll option, although was not completely what I wanted to do, was the closest I could to showing a thumbs down. Also I don't think it's necessary to comment/reply to every single post I dislike/like. I believe that's why these buttons exist in the first place (atleast that's my interpretation of the system here).

Cheers and stay safe

8 hours ago, Cricketphile said:

OK, Since I don't log in often, I apologize for the delay in replying. Before I begin, let me say my response was not personal and only regarding those particular posts/comments. It was also a while back so I may have forgotten the complete context. However, I disagreed with your general argument that the medical establishment and doctors are mostly for making money and that they would want to keep the diseases in order to keep their job security. Your comment on vaccines and other medicines and how it's mostly just paranoia and media sensationalism that keeps it going also made me dislike it. I completely agreed with 'New Guy's" points in this context where he pointed out how ur posts bordered on pseudoscience and is very similar to an anti vax lobby would say. Your anecdote about your gradparents living well past old age and how villages have it all rosy does not hold up to what we know on vaccines. There may be a few cases/anecdotes that you mentioned but there's no question that the overwhelming envidence points to how the medical world and doctors have made our lives better and have eradicated many diseases, which could have easily wiped out humankind (something that 'New Guy' pointed out as well). I wanted to dislike your posts in that context, but I couldn't find an option to do it (I'm fairly new here so I concede that I may not completely know how it works). The troll option, although was not completely what I wanted to do, was the closest I could to showing a thumbs down. Also I don't think it's necessary to comment/reply to every single post I dislike/like. I believe that's why these buttons exist in the first place (atleast that's my interpretation of the system here).

Cheers and stay safe

Lot of Drs are working day and night to keep people safe.Vaccine is atleast 12 to 18 months away.

For the time being as I mentioned before R0 of this virus is >2 and maybe 4. This needs to come down to <1 for this to die out. 3 week curfew is the right thing.

Everyone stay safe.

8 hours ago, raki05 said:

Not Sure if this chewt has contributed a single penny....meanwhile yum yus dhooni has contributed a grand total of 1 lakh from his 800 crores coffer to support Poor people for 14 days 

EUIp89pWoAM69ec?format=jpg&name=large

Fraud "GOD OF CRICKET" what did he do... All these years Bharat Ratna my ass!!

4 hours ago, Rasgulla said:

EUIp89pWoAM69ec?format=jpg&name=large

Fraud "GOD OF CRICKET" what did he do... All these years Bharat Ratna my ass!!

Atleast he contributed 50 lakhs... What did dhoni did what Shakshi tweet is your source of information. Looks like more than sakshi you are burnt by people reactions.

11 hours ago, raki05 said:

Atleast he contributed 50 lakhs... What did dhoni did what Shakshi tweet is your source of information. Looks like more than sakshi you are burnt by people reactions.

:phehe: Raina donated 52 and be doesn'teven have half net worth as Ailiaaaa. "Fraud of cricket" has net worth of 834Crs still a cheap ass for 50lakhs. He has history! 

1 hour ago, Rasgulla said:

:phehe: Raina donated 52 and be doesn'teven have half net worth as Ailiaaaa. "Fraud of cricket" has net worth of 834Crs still a cheap ass for 50lakhs. He has history! 

What abt ur daddy dhongi ...you should have thought twise before laughing from ur back side....that crony fixer earned so much of money from fixing csk matches still donated 1 lakhs not sure even if that's true....:phehe:

3 hours ago, raki05 said:

What abt ur daddy dhongi ...you should have thought twise before laughing from ur back side....that crony fixer earned so much of money from fixing csk matches still donated 1 lakhs not sure even if that's true....:phehe:

You should have checked "twise" before typing. Cheater got banned from Indian cricket team for ball tempering :phehe: Nothing could be worse than that.. Great inspiration for Steve smith and co. 

9 hours ago, Rasgulla said:

You should have checked "twise" before typing. Cheater got banned from Indian cricket team for ball tempering :phehe: Nothing could be worse than that.. Great inspiration for Steve smith and co. 

Abey ghonchu person who banned him and other Indian cricketers got booted out, coz refree has personal hate for Indian cricketers.On the other hand dhongi cried and beg in front of Mudghal committee and even Rakesh Maria the Bombay ig slapped him or some of his stooge from csk nothing more shameful than that 

2 hours ago, raki05 said:

Abey ghonchu person who banned him and other Indian cricketers got booted out, coz refree has personal hate for Indian cricketers.On the other hand dhongi cried and beg in front of Mudghal committee and even Rakesh Maria the Bombay ig slapped him or some of his stooge from csk nothing more shameful than that 

:phehe: ICC handed him a ban ghonchu. Dhoni booted his ass out in 2013! Never forget :rotfl:  Atleast Dhoni didn't get banned from IPL or by ICC unlike Ailaaaaaa

Kohli is a great player - you could argue the best batsman india has ever had - but does anyone actually take him seriously?

i get the feeling he's widely disliked, and nowhere near the nationally recognized icon that tendulkar was for 2 decades.

he hasn't moved beyond being a 'youth icon', which is strange, because he's in his 30s now.

Edited by Manny_Pacquiao
1 hour ago, Rasgulla said:

:phehe: ICC handed him a ban ghonchu. Dhoni booted his ass out in 2013! Never forget :rotfl:  Atleast Dhoni didn't get banned from IPL or by ICC unlike Ailaaaaaa

Boss d k his team was banned nd BCCI has kicked him out....shameless old man is still not retiring. What a bhikhari after having so much of money dint even donated a single penny look at GG given 1 crores and also won wc 07 and wc11 for this hulkat. Shame on dhongi and shame on u for still licking his ass.

24 minutes ago, raki05 said:

Boss d k his team was banned nd BCCI has kicked him out....shameless old man is still not retiring. What a bhikhari after having so much of money dint even donated a single penny look at GG given 1 crores and also won wc 07 and wc11 for this hulkat. Shame on dhongi and shame on u for still licking his ass.

Atleast chewt agrees BCCI has kicked Ailiaaaa out :phehe:  Yep that's exactly why Dhoni kicked Ailiaaa to retirement because he wasn't retirning and blocking places for Rohit and Dhawan back in those days. Raina has donated 51 and his networth isn't half of Ailiaaaa. Fraud of cricket has history of being cheap. His chewt fans like you are even worse :giggle: