Irfan Pathan bossing Padosi phaast bowlers

maniac

The thread started with ODIs and now turned to tests .... But talking about tests in Eng, Pandya has the best performance for an AR in wins in Eng in the history of Ind cricket:

View overall figures [change view]
Primary team India remove India from query
Opposition team England remove England from query
Home or away away (home of opposition) remove away (home of opposition) from query
Match result won match remove won match from query
Qualifications runs scored greater than or equal to 50 remove runs scored greater than or equal to 50 from query and wickets taken greater than or equal to 3 remove wickets taken greater than or equal to 3 from query
Ordered by batting - bowling average (descending)
Page 1 of 1 Showing 1 - 5 of 5   First pageFirst Previous pagePrevious Next Next page Last Last page dblBakArwB.gifReturn to query menu
dblBakArwW.gifCleared query menu
Overall figures
Player Span Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100 Wkts BBI Bowl Av 5 Ct St Ave DiffDescending  
HH Pandya 2018-2018 1 70 52* 70.00 0 6 5/28 8.33 1 0 0 61.66 investigate this query
B Kumar 2014-2014 1 88 52 44.00 0 6 6/82 17.16 1 0 0 26.83 investigate this query
RA Jadeja 2014-2014 1 71 68 35.50 0 3 2/46 33.00 0 1 0 2.50 investigate this query
N Kapil Dev 1986-1986 2 55 31 18.33 0 8 4/52 22.37 0 2 0 -4.04 investigate this query
RJ Shastri 1986-1986 2 56 32 18.66 0 3 1/5 25.66 0 1 0 -6.99

Brilliant from a guy fast tracked to test cricket. And that too in his first tour!  :aha:

Edited by zen
38 minutes ago, sandeep said:

You probably don't remember this because you don't like the guy, and have decided to stick to a stubborn "anti" position on him as far as the forum is concerned - but he played quite "sedately" in the T1 chase.  Was not out in the end with a sedate 30-odd.  

You keep moving the goalposts when it comes to Pandya, to justify your confirmation bias.  That's fine, all of us do that on occasion.  But don't expect it not to get called out.

Maybe I am not a big enough fan to remember one random 30 notout :laugh: amidst other failures.

He did surprise me with the ball though, better than I thought he would be.

6 minutes ago, maniac said:

Maybe I am not a big enough fan to remember one random 30 notout :laugh: amidst other failures.

A "random 30 not out" chasing 180 odd is not trivial.   Especially in a test that set up the rest of the series.  If India had managed to win that first test, the rest of the series plays out completely differently - in spite of the total toss f**king that happened at Lords.  

If Kuptaan Wrogn doesn't play Shikhar "poke to slip" Dhawan ahead of Pujara in T1, maybe we don't fall short by 20 odd runs.  If we don't allow a stupid Dennis the menace child to slap his way to a 50+ score, we win that test, and Hardik's 30 not out takes on a very different significance. 

Learn to judge player contributions independent of scorecard outcomes, and in context of match situations and quality.  

Or continue to argue nonsensically.  Up to you.

12 hours ago, sandeep said:

Irfan was legit good with the bat, stronger on the offside than the leg.  Maybe less of a power-hitter than Pandya, but a tighter technique.  

Man I'm old - I remember thinking in 2003 Aus tour, that c Patel b Pathan was going to be a scorecard read for years to come.  Imagine that Aus test series - the feeling of having found Veeru as a test opener, a 20 year old Irfan, and a baby Parthiv, whose batting potential was quality.  Additions to a team that already had Sachin, Dravid, VVS and Gangu in there.  

To this day, that test series remains one of my favorite ones, if not the favorite.

Against an attack that missed their best bowlers. Brett Lee and Gillespie both coming back from injuries and depended on Bracken, Williams, and Bichel was the best of them.

13 hours ago, maniac said:

:hysterical: padosi bowlers may be overrated but they are leagues better than this bowling attack.

Anyways no doubt about Pandya’s hitting ability but I still think against quality attacks Irfan (In his prime) has a better technique both defense and attack than Hardik. Don’t forget Irfan had a very good defense and played some crucial knocks overseas in tests as well. Hardik’s defense has been a let down. He could have been crucial in some of the tests in England had he had a better defensive technique.

Pathan would have done zilch as well in those conditions in England. Those conditions needed luck more than technique.  There is a reason no indian batsmen did nothing there except Kohli who had abundunt of catches dropped.

11 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Pathan had a very sound technique , he has also opened in test and 93 is his best score at opening. Dravid-Chappell used his batting really when ball was new and PP was on. He had a more sound technique then many of our batsman. 

No, he didn't have a great technique. His front foot used to go across. He also didn't play in very helpful conditions for bowlers.  He had good cover drives but due to his poor grip, barely had any leg side game. Good on off side due to that grip but used to heave and miss a lot trying to hit on side. He was very similar to Jaddu, very limited stroke range and that at times worked for him. 

5 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Against an attack that missed their best bowlers. Brett Lee and Gillespie both coming back from injuries and depended on Bracken, Williams, and Bichel was the best of them.

Sure.  And it also helped that the series was played on proper roads.  Aussies expected India to just keel over and lose, like we had done consistently on previous tours.  They prepared for a summer of records, but it didn't quite turn out that way.