Watch Thread !!!

velu

22 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

@Clarke

Couldn't help but notice, the clocks in both Ghadi and the NCP flag are set at 10:10. That too a wrong 10:10. Shoudn't the hour hand have moved a sixth of the way towards 11? Same mistake twice over? Freakish coincidence? 

Or perhaps the same marketing agency conjured up both the logos?

Madamji .. your observational & math skills are second to none :hatsoff:

I always wondered why advertising pics of a watch always show 10:10 until I read somewhere that it is asthetic and looks like a smiley on a watch face ... It also doesnt hide the maker's name/brand . 

34 minutes ago, diga said:

Madamji .. your observational & math skills are second to none :hatsoff:

I always wondered why advertising pics of a watch always show 10:10 until I read somewhere that it is asthetic and looks like a smiley on a watch face ... It also doesnt hide the maker's name/brand . 

damn .. thought watch companies show 10:10 to show some respect/gratitude to abraham lincoln  

Many peoples think that it was due to Abraham Lincoln's died at that time and so that’s why watches are showing 10:10. But the truth is, Lincoln was shot at, around 10:15 pm and died the next day morning at around 7:22 am. The other myth is about the atomic bomb on Nagasaki or Hiroshima, which was not the dropped time of 10.10 but the actual time is 11.02. So let’s get the myths out of the way.

https://petapixel.com/2013/06/27/why-photographs-of-watches-and-clocks-show-the-time-1010/ 

@velu

Were you called Bhujang in your previous birth?

Amrish Puri's character in this song best describes you. :p:. Focus on the first few stanzas. And the Amrish signature shoulder shrug with the giant clock in the background at 5:52-6:35.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1ujA6a_VPU

Edited by Mariyam

On 1/4/2022 at 5:56 PM, Mariyam said:

@velu

Were you called Bhujang in your previous birth?

Amrish Puri's character in this song best describes you. :p:. Focus on the first few stanzas. And the Amrish signature shoulder shrug with the giant clock in the background at 5:52-6:35.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1ujA6a_VPU

have to use google translate :hide:

19 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

how about this one

HMT Watches - Time keeper of Generations: Vintage HMT ...

This company has shut down. :heartbreak:

The fact that the brand was likeable despite of being a PSU. That's saying a lot.

Even till the late 90s and early 2000s, saying HMT was synonymous with saying wrist watch. Much like how Colgate is to brushing and to Xerox is to photocopy.

These guys even introduced Braille watches in India. Even when they knew it would be a loss making venture.

Maybe  good karma is just a hoax. :(( 

45 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

The fact that the brand was likeable despite of being a PSU. That's saying a lot.

Even till the late 90s and early 2000s, saying HMT was synonymous with saying wrist watch. Much like how Colgate is to brushing and to Xerox is to photocopy.

These guys even introduced Braille watches in India. Even when they knew it would be a loss making venture.

For nostalgic reasons and nothing else. 

I have heard from my dad more than once how the premier padmini is a wonderful car from the good old times when we spot it on the road. I remind him how we kids used to regularly push his brother's second hand purchase in the 90s. 

1 hour ago, Clarke said:

For nostalgic reasons and nothing else. 

I have heard from my dad more than once how the premier padmini is a wonderful car from the good old times when we spot it on the road. I remind him how we kids used to regularly push his brother's second hand purchase in the 90s. 

Perhaps.

But the Premier Padmini looked ugly. eww. No one is going to write Padmavats to the vehicle, unlike her paen inspiring royal namesake.  A better comparison to HMT watches would be the Thar.

Say what you will, I love all the earlier Made in India products NOW. Thar. HMT Sitara. Even Amul chocs. 

I even like the song Made in India, by Alisha Chinnai.

25 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Perhaps.

But the Premier Padmini looked ugly. eww. No one is going to write Padmavats to the vehicle, unlike her paen inspiring royal namesake.  A better comparison to HMT watches would be the Thar.

Say what you will, I love all the earlier Made in India products NOW. Thar. HMT Sitara. Even Amul chocs. 

I even like the song Made in India, by Alisha Chinnai.

To each their own, I'm sure there's some Padmini owners club in the metros.

For me, some of these (HMT, Premier Padmini etc) are just reminders of the dark ages in independent India's history. I do like simple & reliable technology but not absolute stagnancy. 

3 hours ago, Mariyam said:

yeah i've heard it was a decent company. but braille that is a surprise :bow: I hope those who implemented these in HMT are doing good even though the company is defunct. Good karma is not a hoax. Always remember this Rajini dialogue :p:.

God gives trouble to good folks to test them but won't leave them in the time of need.

God gives everything to bad folks but will leave them in the time of need.

Good karma is not just money or riches. It also means personal satisfaction that they have done something that is useful for those with disabilities. And there is a good feeling within you when you help people. That is what I call true happiness. There are plenty of middle class and low income happy people contrasted while some rich folks who always complain about something and never find happiness.

On a side note, many people use the word "xerox" for photocopy :phehe: They don't know that xerox is an organization that invented not just the photocopier but also early computers

6 hours ago, velu said:

@nevada sold this watch for 14 lakh :((

getting Rolex pepsi GMT by paying huge premiums over MRP , will be offloading it within a month 

Rolex NEW PEPSI 2022 - GMT-Master II 126710 BLRO Jubilee for $34,126 for  sale from a Trusted Seller on Chrono24

Good job, why say no to handsome returns? Hope your next investment also gives you a nice profit! What you are doing is very good - any nice watch will give you euphoria only for a limited period and you end up buying another watch. Thats how people turn into collectors of watches. By rotating in and out of watches, you will enjoy the high as well as earn the funds to finance the next acquisition.

3 hours ago, nevada said:

Good job, why say no to handsome returns? Hope your next investment also gives you a nice profit! What you are doing is very good - any nice watch will give you euphoria only for a limited period and you end up buying another watch. Thats how people turn into collectors of watches. By rotating in and out of watches, you will enjoy the high as well as earn the funds to finance the next acquisition.

gmt is 8.16 lakh .. but paying extra 7 to the AD by other means

this is way out of my budget , so have to liquidate asap

On 4/10/2022 at 2:22 PM, velu said:

@nevada sold this watch for 14 lakh :((

getting Rolex pepsi GMT by paying huge premiums over MRP , will be offloading it within a month 

Rolex NEW PEPSI 2022 - GMT-Master II 126710 BLRO Jubilee for $34,126 for  sale from a Trusted Seller on Chrono24

If you don't mind my asking, how do you book taxes on these wrist watch deals?

A watch isn't exactly a capital good. So no tax tweaks there.

2 hours ago, Mariyam said:

If you don't mind my asking, how do you book taxes on these wrist watch deals?

A watch isn't exactly a capital good. So no tax tweaks there.

Ideally I have to pay tax for this profit but I won’t :cool:

there is no gst involved in second hand goods 

anyway this is my first time selling a watch for some profit 

Edited by velu