Unrest mounts across multiple US cities over the death of George Floyd

Trichromatic

1 minute ago, Audiophile said:

Multiple things can be true at the same point. It is not binary, there can be lot of gry areas. Folks can be positive and negative sides:

1. All blacks are not criminals or thugs

2. All conservative whites are not racists

3. All liberals do not condone looting and other criminal activities and support black lives cause at the same time

4. There is a systemic racial profiling in the police and justice system in US, that does not mean some profiling when carried out properly does not work

5. The protests definitely hit a nerve with the youth of all colors, but looting, arson and killing/injuring cops cannot be tolerated. I am sympathetic to the cause, but will not justify violence. Violence does not beget violence, it just diminishes the just cause of the protest

5. Do-lund is an incomptent moron incapable of leadership during crisis as seen with the COVID 19 pandemic and these protests. I have been saything this all along.

Liberals don't give a **** about black lives. They are co-opting the 'black cause' for votes by not allowing blacks to speak for themselves.

Corporate america is using 'racism' as a public relations tool: "buy our product, we are not racist!!!"

I don't know where you live, but in NY/NJ, whites live in segregated, often gated communities and refuse to send their kids to schools in 'low test score' neighborhoods (chartered, public schools), they refuse to hire minorities on account on them 'lacking the right qualifications', and their activism is for public display only. I know this because my family lives in a mostly white, 'upper class' neighborhood.

Amazing how these riots happen far away from where the 'white liberals' actually live. Destroying poor communities and their loss-making businesses. Think of your local desi uncles having their small stores burned to the ground...like we saw in ferguson back in 2013. what a waste of time.

4 hours ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

Liberals don't give a **** about black lives. They are co-opting the 'black cause' for votes by not allowing blacks to speak for themselves.

Corporate america is using 'racism' as a public relations tool: "buy our product, we are not racist!!!"

I don't know where you live, but in NY/NJ, whites live in segregated, often gated communities and refuse to send their kids to schools in 'low test score' neighborhoods (chartered, public schools), they refuse to hire minorities on account on them 'lacking the right qualifications', and their activism is for public display only. I know this because my family lives in a mostly white, 'upper class' neighborhood.

Amazing how these riots happen far away from where the 'white liberals' actually live. Destroying poor communities and their loss-making businesses. Think of your local desi uncles having their small stores burned to the ground...like we saw in ferguson back in 2013. what a waste of time.

So damn true. I've seen Indian Americans high school students mostly going to school with Chinese and Koreans, a very tiny percentage comprises of blacks and Hispanics.

Heck there is a school near where I live called Lamar High, it has only blacks and Hispanics.

15 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

This has effectively sealed second term.

Yup. Democrats know that Biden has a slim chance against Trump, so they have started this violence to portray Trump as incompetent , but it’s going to end up counter-polarizing Whites to vote for Trump enmasse. If you look at most American cities, they have been run by Democrats for years, yet they never took any concrete action against systemic racism. They don’t give a rats ass about black lives. They’re just a votebank for them that will be riled up before a major election to make sure you can get maximum turnout. They are really desperate. 

17 hours ago, MechEng said:

So damn true. I've seen Indian Americans high school students mostly going to school with Chinese and Koreans, a very tiny percentage comprises of blacks and Hispanics.

Heck there is a school near where I live called Lamar High, it has only blacks and Hispanics.

The best public schools in NY - stuyvesant high school, bronx high school of science, brooklyn technical high school - are at least 50% asians. Their admission has always been merit-based.

There's a huge controversy relating to chinese/indians/'asian americans' being unfairly victimized by quotas favoring 'greater' black admissions. It's become a political issue.

You have a lobby that argues against meritocracy by claiming that asians opposing reservations are 'anti black', and in doing so, you're seeing a situation where different minority groups are being played against each other...the way this author does in this article:

Within Asian American immigrant communities, there is the popular mentality that education is a panacea that will help us achieve that dream, Tan elaborated. When this mindset is normalized, it creates a high-stakes, competitive environment around schooling and perpetuates the model minority myth. But as new immigrants with less social clout, no family connections, and at times limited language skills, it is easy to understand how standardized testing and academic achievement can be viewed as their one shot at success in this country.

Asian Americans are finding ourselves at a political impasse — it seems like our choices are to either fight for the success of our own, or the success of others. And with the way our broken education system is currently set up, it often feels impossible to fight for both. Some Asian American activists are treating education like a zero sum game, as if ceding even 20% of the spots at these elite schools is somehow equivalent to anti-Asianness. And yet they refuse to own up to their own anti-Blackness, while they are knowingly harming Black and Latinx students’ fight for equity and integration. Their argument boils down to the ideology of meritocracy, that as marginalized people we were able to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps, study hard and gain entry, which of course ignores the centuries of redlining and institutional racism experienced by Black and brown communities and that many middle schools in Black and Latinx neighborhoods do not have advanced programs or educators who are equipped to prepare their students for the test. In fact, before the influx of Asian immigrants over the past few decades, the boom of the test prep industry, and the reduction of honors programs in Black and Latinx neighborhoods, Black and Latinx students actually made up nearly a third of the student body at specialized schools.

Something for you to remember, if you can't live in suburbs and plan on raising kids in NY.

42 minutes ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

The best public schools in NY - stuyvesant high school, bronx high school of science, brooklyn technical high school - are at least 50% asians. Their admission has always been merit-based.

There's a huge controversy relating to chinese/indians/'asian americans' being unfairly victimized by quotas favoring 'greater' black admissions. It's become a political issue.

You have a lobby that argues against meritocracy by claiming that asians opposing reservations are 'anti black', and in doing so, you're seeing a situation where different minority groups are being played against each other...the way this author does in this article:

Something for you to remember, if you can't live in suburbs and plan on raising kids in NY.

It's interesting isn't it? How complex is racism ingrained in American way of life. Back in India, you're not a racist unless you literally physically beat a person and tell him/her to go back to their countries or at least say something offensive. Well, it's not 1800s anymore, racism comes in many forms and are a lot more subtle. 

Not at all condoning his killing, which is wrong and because of a racially biased police SOP, but  making him a global icon of protest, like a Nelson Mandela or Martin Luther King Jr. is not appropriate. He had various run-ins with law and a convicted criminal. Meth addict. Not a role model for somebody to outrage in New Zealand about. Damn liberals and millennials .

10 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Not at all condoning his killing, which is wrong and because of a racially biased police SOP, but  making him a global icon of protest, like a Nelson Mandela or Martin Luther King Jr. is not appropriate. He had various run-ins with law and a convicted criminal. Meth addict. Not a role model for somebody to outrage in New Zealand about. Damn liberals and millennials .

He is not an icon or moral leader in the mold of MLK or Mandela or Rosa Parks.  He is a symbol of the growing movement against police brutality.  One does not have to be a saint to be that symbol.  One must just be an innocent victim - which he was.  His past foibles have nothing to do with what happened on that day.    

8 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

He is not an icon or moral leader in the mold of MLK or Mandela or Rosa Parks.  He is a symbol of the growing movement against police brutality.  One does not have to be a saint to be that symbol.  One must just be an innocent victim - which he was.  His past foibles have nothing to do with what happened on that day.    

There are so many such innocent deaths in so many countries. Why is this one such a global phenomenon with riots organized in multiple cities. This is not an organic movement, but an organized sponsored one, will definitely get 4 more years to you-know-who!

7 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

There are so many such innocent deaths in so many countries. Why is this one such a global phenomenon with riots organized in multiple cities. This is not an organic movement, but an organized sponsored one, will definitely get 4 more years to you-know-who!

It is such an issue because of America's sordid history with racism and police brutality.  Second, the world is waiting to find something to insult America with, and racism is an easy target. 

And for all of America's loss of power in the world, it still dominates world media.  What happens here is bound to have ripple effects in other places too.  

If this is a ploy to get 4 mo yrs, it could backfire in a big way.  I would vote for my hawaii chappal over President Bleachcq.

19 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

What is this movement trying to achieve? I'm speaking of tangible outcomes here, and not pointless displays of moral righteousness (which will be forgotten within 5 seconds).

Let me know when this results in any actual legislative change.

I'm not saying police brutality doesn't exist. We have a highly militarized police in certain states (like NY), and the police force is given far too much authority than what could be deemed necessary. But as long as the laws governing police activity are written from a pro-enforcement (pro-incarceration) point of view (as opposed to pro-rehabilitation), i'm not sure anything will change.

Without any tangible outcomes, these protests serve no purpose other than political polarization.

The same is true for laws regarding accessibility to employment, housing, and education. What kind of changes have we actually seen? America is a country of talkers, people love to talk endlessly about these issues but not much ever changes. Am i wrong?

Black people are permanently f**c*ed, no matter what happens. Being black in america is like being born with a disability (or a handicap):

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/01/how-black-middle-class-kids-become-black-lower-class-adults/384613/

The facts of this rift aren’t new, or all that surprising. But perhaps what’s most unsettling about the current economic climate in black America is that when black families attain middle-class status, the likelihood that their children will remain there, or do better, isn’t high.

Since clueless NRIs on twitter love to make this (disingenuous) comparison, being muslim in india gives you a better shot at upward mobility than being black in america.

13 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

It is such an issue because of America's sordid history with racism and police brutality.  Second, the world is waiting to find something to insult America with, and racism is an easy target. 

And for all of America's loss of power in the world, it still dominates world media.  What happens here is bound to have ripple effects in other places too.  

If this is a ploy to get 4 mo yrs, it could backfire in a big way.  I would vote for my hawaii chappal over President Bleachcq.

Nah, not in the midst of Covid crisis. This is some George Soros+China+Leftist movement. NY had a chokehold death 2 years ago, Trayvon Martin,  Michael Brown in recent years. Also back 92 Rodney King LA riots was limited to LA only. This spread of riots is a sponsored one for sure. Not a ploy to get 4 more years, but will inadvertently help his cause

Edited by coffee_rules

2 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Nah, not in the midst of Covid crisis. This is some George Soros+China+Leftist movement. NY had a chokehold death 2 years ago, Trayvon Martin,  Michael. Town in recent years. Also back 92 Rodney King LA riots was limited to LA only. This spread of riots is a sponsored one for sure.

Riots following Trayvon/Michael brown's deaths were actual outrage. Ferguson was actual outrage, as was the 'blacklivesmatter' on social media. I don't think anyone expected that kind of violence. That was a real eye-opener.

These riots, on the other hand, seem very orchestrated. Corporate america and the political parties have perfectly crafted responses, they've been far too opportunistic for this to be 'organic'. Blacklivesmatter has been adopted by the democrats for the purpose of political campaigning, and corporate america for the purpose of public relations. That's the reality we're witnessing here.

At the end of the day, blacks are as screwed as before, because they have no individual autonomy and no collective voice. Imagine somebody using your thoughts and ideas for their own benefit.

3 minutes ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

What is this movement trying to achieve? I'm speaking of tangible outcomes here, and not pointless displays of moral righteousness (which will be forgotten within 5 seconds).

Let me know when this results in any actual legislative change.

I'm not saying police brutality doesn't exist. We have a highly militarized police in certain states (like NY), and the police force is given far too much authority than what could be deemed necessary. But as long as the laws governing police activity are written from a pro-enforcement (pro-incarceration) point of view (as opposed to pro-rehabilitation), i'm not sure anything will change.

Without any tangible outcomes, these protests serve no purpose other than political polarization.

I posted the above a few days ago.  Change is inevitably slow.  But this time, it feels different.  Several cities are instituting change to where police are seen as guardians and not soldiers.  Some like Camden, NJ have apparently been doing things differently for a while.  Most importantly, there is a stronger-than-ever push to reverse qualified immunity.  Libertarians (I am one) have been advocating this for a long time.  

I completely agree with your comments about extreme militarization and police unionization, as well as about disingenuous NRIs.