Turkish Drama Ertughrul, and it's political influence upon the Pakistanis

Alam_dar

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

While your comment puts the silly gross generalization in its place, you can't deny that the show does have quite a bit of popularity in said market segment.  

Yes, it is decently popular. In Kashmir mainly. No denying that. It is free (on Youtube), in Urdu, and people didn't have much to do in the Pandemic.

The objection was to the "yearn" bit. Indian Muslims "yearn" for Ertugul as much as some other Indians "yearn" for that Israeli commando action show on Netflix. Can't recollect the name right now. 

Edited by Mariyam

23 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

The objection was to the "yearn" bit. Indian Muslims "yearn" for Ertugul as much as some other Indians "yearn" for that Israeli commando action show on Netflix. Can't recollect the name right now. 

You would know that I'm not one to rush to judgement on such questions, nor am I one who's eager to stereotype muslims or any others.  But lets not dance around it - the fact is that hagiographic depiction of Islamic 'greatness' is a major theme in this soap opera.  And it is a clever and effective ploy to market a sentiment that is indeed, quite strong in muslims.  Indian or otherwise.  Chanakya TV show took a similar line - "we wuz great", and 'we can be great only if we rally around the flag and unite against the evil outsiders".  Its fine - its entertainment after all.  But its 'interesting' when nationalist pseudohistoric fantasies of one country get so much "love" and co-option by folks who have no connection to it.  I mean, imagine if you suddenly saw thousands of Vietnamese or Filipino fans climbing aboard the Chanakya train and waving saffron flags - it would look silly and invite mocking, am i right Mariyam Hatun?  :p:

Edited by sandeep

35 minutes ago, diga said:

^Hypocrisy at its best.. and the choice of images in Rana's tweet is deliberate

She's an outrage clickbaiter.  Its her chosen profession.  Provocation masked in faux outrage pays her bills, what is so noteworthy about it?

9 minutes ago, sandeep said:

She's an outrage clickbaiter.  Its her chosen profession.  Provocation masked in faux outrage pays her bills, what is so noteworthy about it?

Nothing ... just mentioned that choice of images is a clickbait. 

Problem is too many gullibles on either side take her words too seriously

29 minutes ago, sandeep said:

She's no harmless nuisance anymore. She has a global reach among liberals with CNN'S Farid Zakaria making opinion pieces based on her views. Also, Mehdi Hassan (Al-Jizzeera) frequently RTs and interviews her for her opinions from WaPo, NPR (facking she has reached NPR as well), NewYorker is peddling her so-called sting operations as legitimate journalism, don't be surprised if she pulls even a Pullitzer. She can do more harm than just making a few bucks. A venom always baiting on India's failures, not just Govt, havig a saw on Hindu society and Indian in genral - majoritarian, fascist etc. 

Edited by coffee_rules

18 hours ago, sandeep said:

You would know that I'm not one to rush to judgement on such questions, nor am I one who's eager to stereotype muslims or any others.  But lets not dance around it - the fact is that hagiographic depiction of Islamic 'greatness' is a major theme in this soap opera.  And it is a clever and effective ploy to market a sentiment that is indeed, quite strong in muslims.  Indian or otherwise.  Chanakya TV show took a similar line - "we wuz great", and 'we can be great only if we rally around the flag and unite against the evil outsiders".  Its fine - its entertainment after all.  But its 'interesting' when nationalist pseudohistoric fantasies of one country get so much "love" and co-option by folks who have no connection to it.  I mean, imagine if you suddenly saw thousands of Vietnamese or Filipino fans climbing aboard the Chanakya train and waving saffron flags - it would look silly and invite mocking, am i right Mariyam Hatun?  :p:

Agree. 

But comparing Vietnamese/Filipino connection with Chanakya  to the Pakistanis connection with Ertughural is perhaps not valid as religion is a common factor in the later case, but it is absent in the former case.

In my opinion, we could never stop the Pakistani Muslims to link themselves to the other Islamic world, by bringing the argument of LAND and Forefathers. 

This connection is based upon Religion, and it could only be broken if we break the Religion itself in them. 

Therefore, we have to criticise the religion directly, and make them realise how innocent people were killed due to the religions in those wars, and to make people aware that the first and the most important bond is neither of religion, nor of land, nor of forefathers, but of Humanity only. 

Edited by Alam_dar

3 hours ago, Alam_dar said:

comparing Vietnamese/Filipino connection with Chanakya  to the Pakistanis connection with Ertughural is perhaps not valid as religion is a common factor in the later case, but it is absent in the former case.

Millions of SE Asians are Buddhists,  Ashoka was Buddhist, and Chandragupta was his grandfather, who came to power thanks to Chanakya.  "Ertugrul" or the father of the founder of the "Osmaniyeh" Empire, was not a muslim.  He was 'pagan'.  So the analogy holds.  But understanding that would require that understanding and knowledge of history.  That most wikipedia-fakers lack.

The difference is that Islam is a faith that very easily and by design, lends itself to politics and empire building.  

2 hours ago, sandeep said:

Millions of SE Asians are Buddhists,  Ashoka was Buddhist, and Chandragupta was his grandfather, who came to power thanks to Chanakya.  "Ertugrul" or the father of the founder of the "Osmaniyeh" Empire, was not a muslim.  He was 'pagan'.  So the analogy holds.  But understanding that would require that understanding and knowledge of history.  That most wikipedia-fakers lack.

The difference is that Islam is a faith that very easily and by design, lends itself to politics and empire building.  

Either false propaganda or not, it does not matter while very strong connection is already present there between Pakistanis and Turks. It is not only Artughral, but objection is made against connection with all other Muslim Sultans of Turkey too who conquered Anatolia and many other parts of Europe and brought Islam there. 

And the objection does not even stop at Turkish Sultans, but it goes further to connection with Muhammad bin Qasim, Ghaznavi, Sher Shah Souri and other Muslim Sultan who invaded India. 

This connection is very strong and could only be broken by direct criticism and breakage of religion only. 

While connection between Chanakya and SE Buddhists is almost non-existent. 

Off course Buddhists of SE watch the movies about birth of Buddah and his life with love and affection, but still they are not attracted towards the present day HINDU India. Had India been a Buddhist state today, then there were chances of same type of connection that Pakistan has with Turkey or Saudia. 

On 8/18/2020 at 10:52 AM, coffee_rules said:

She's no harmless nuisance anymore. She has a global reach among liberals with CNN'S Farid Zakaria making opinion pieces based on her views. Also, Mehdi Hassan (Al-Jizzeera) frequently RTs and interviews her for her opinions from WaPo, NPR (facking she has reached NPR as well), NewYorker is peddling her so-called sting operations as legitimate journalism, don't be surprised if she pulls even a Pullitzer. She can do more harm than just making a few bucks. A venom always baiting on India's failures, not just Govt, havig a saw on Hindu society and Indian in genral - majoritarian, fascist etc. 

all of them are muslim no one gives a **** about what they write in wapo and cnn. 

12 minutes ago, passion47 said:

people are making big issue of it 

this intricate plot type histroical series can be quite popular , even spartacus and game of thrones were quite popular in pakistan on indivisual level  but it never got mass publicity because of nudity and sex in both.

You are right that Games of Throne and Spartacus are also famous in one part of the Pakistani society. 

But nevertheless, I have strong reservations against Dramas like Artughrul. 

It is brainwashing and make people's mind Jihad oriented instead of Humanity oriented. 

These Dramas are not showing the other Truths of these wars, where Muslim Armies killed the men, and then captured all the women/small children and then made them slaves for whole of their life, although those women/children had no part in any war. 

Has any of this Jihadi Drama showed this bitter, but the biggest truth to the Pakistani viewers? 

Not only this, but Muslim Armies then raped those innocent women on the very night that they were captured and made prisoners. Even Prophet Muhammad did sex with Saffiya the next day after killing her father, brother and husband few hours ago. Again these Dramas have never shown this biggest Truth and reality of these wars. 

4 hours ago, Alam_dar said:

Off course Buddhists of SE watch the movies about birth of Buddah and his life with love and affection, but still they are not attracted towards the present day HINDU India. 

only pakistanis are attracted to saudi or turkey or china or who ever gives them money. No other country in the world is like that. 

that is called identity crisis. 

1 hour ago, Vilander said:

only pakistanis are attracted to saudi or turkey or china or who ever gives them money. No other country in the world is like that. 

that is called identity crisis. 

If truth has to be told, then in my view it is not only a  weakness of Pakistani nature, but it is the "universal" nature of humans. 

Religion plays one of the main role in seeking one's identity.  Hindus seek their identity somewhat  in Ramayan and Mahabharata, while although Indian Buddhists or Jains or Sikhs are also born in India, but still they don't seek their identity in Ramayan or Mahabharata.

While even a Hindu born in Afghanistan will be automatically attracted towards Ramayan and Mahabharata, in same fashion as Pakistanis are attracted towards Turkish warrior dramas. 

So much so that Pakistanis openly say that they are Muslims first and Pakistani second. 

I believe that religious Hindus would also be of same opinion that they are Hindus first and Indian second. 

Same is true about the Money & Greed. This is not only the weakness of Pakistanis, but this is the "universal human weakness". 

2 minutes ago, Alam_dar said:

is not only a  weakness of Pakistani nature, but it is the "universal" nature

No its pakistani only actually. Appropriating some random culture because it is islamic that happens only in pakistan.

Rest of your post is unintelligent so i did not care to read it..what do u mean hindus see identity in ramayan mahabharat lol.. Those are epics written in antiquity by hindus in india ofcourse it will be popular with hindus in india lol. Stop boring me man dont quote me.

5 minutes ago, Alam_dar said:

I believe that religious Hindus would also be of same opinion that they are Hindus first and Indian second

U might believe in many things some random desert culture etc does not mean much. Hindus in India never say they are hindus first etc. That happens again with muslims only and mostly those from pakistan. Lol

2 hours ago, Alam_dar said:

You are right that Games of Throne and Spartacus are also famous in one part of the Pakistani society. 

But nevertheless, I have strong reservations against Dramas like Artughrul. 

It is brainwashing and make people's mind Jihad oriented instead of Humanity oriented. 

These Dramas are not showing the other Truths of these wars, where Muslim Armies killed the men, and then captured all the women/small children and then made them slaves for whole of their life, although those women/children had no part in any war. 

Has any of this Jihadi Drama showed this bitter, but the biggest truth to the Pakistani viewers? 

Not only this, but Muslim Armies then raped those innocent women on the very night that they were captured and made prisoners. Even Prophet Muhammad did sex with Saffiya the next day after killing her father, brother and husband few hours ago. Again these Dramas have never shown this biggest Truth and reality of these wars. 

Why are Muslims obsessed with rape?

Years of inbreeding makes them look like extras from The Hills Have Eyes so an inferiority complex? Repressed homosexual urges?