Turkish Drama Ertughrul, and it's political influence upon the Pakistanis

Alam_dar

I don't know if Indian TV shows any Turkish Dramas, but Pakistanis have become die hard fans of the Turkish Dramas (translated into Urdu) for the last couple of years. One of the main reason for their popularity is the presence of really beautiful Turkish girls, and secondly Turkish Dramas show the romance scenes boldly, while Pakistani artists are not allowed to do so in the Pakistani Dramas. 

Lately, the Drama Ertughrul broke all the records of popularity in Pakistan. But it is not a normal romance based drama, but it is about the Muslim History and how the Turkish Muslim empire was formed through wars with the non-Muslims. 

I don't know how to exactly explain the political influence of this Drama upon the minds of the Pakistanis. 

My observation is this that Indians were able to seek their "identity" in Ramain/Mahabharata. These Dramas influenced the Indian minds a lot. 

But Pakistanis don't have that long history of their own. And also I never saw that Pakistanis ever sought their "identity" in the Mughal Dynasty, or any other Muslim ruler of India. 

But Ertughrul changed it, and I see that Pakistanis are somewhat seeking their own "identity" in the Turkish victories upon the non-Muslims. 

Even before this Drama, I think Turkey had already been considered the most favourable country in Pakistan. And Erdogan also became the Hero for Pakistanis. And now this Drama is influencing the Pakistani minds. 

My observation is this that  the poetry of Iqbal, and such Dramas have much more influence and  play much more role in developing the Jihadi mindset of the society than the Madarais could ever play.  Actually, Madaris are limited only to the poor part of the society, but the poetry of Iqbal and Dramas are directly influencing the "educated" people of the society. 

@Autonomous  May I request for your views in this regard. Thanks. 

Edited by Alam_dar

Identities themselves are useless. But I have no respect for Pakistanis because of this tendency to culturally appropriate some other random culture just because they are islamic. 

Pakistanis are Indian muslims that should be your identity. May be make it unique as you can but wanting some random Turkish identity is pathetic. 

This show is worse than bollywood. Its a soap opera where more than 50% of the time is focused on scheming done by 'nasty' women - wife, daughter in law, mother in laws, aunts.  Add 10% slow motion horse riding set to music, sprinkle another 10% old school sword fights, 10% overt "Islam is great", some bits of a magic Islamic 'baba' who shows up at random times to help the hero.  etc etc.  All problems are due to infidels and 'traitors'.  The villains are comically stereotyped, a catholic priest who looks jewish, hatching evil plans in his lair, while drinking 'sharaab'.  Add a cardinal who 'kills the pope', and wants to bone everything that moves. And of course, the whole world is out to conspire against the "islamic" people.

I thought the so called identity crisis was a just a meme on Pakistanis (and SC Muslims to some extent) but damn.... this Ertugrul crap has proven me wrong. 

I read somewhere recently that Turks have disowned p@kis due to their constant asslicking on SM. :laugh:

A country that is desperately looking for an identity as it develops into a rogue state worse than North Korea! Fits well!

And what’s even worse is that instead of prioritizing health, infrastructure in your country, fake identity is being developed. Good luck! :laugh1:

13 hours ago, Vilander said:

Identities themselves are useless. But I have no respect for Pakistanis because of this tendency to culturally appropriate some other random culture just because they are islamic. 

Pakistanis are Indian muslims that should be your identity. May be make it unique as you can but wanting some random Turkish identity is pathetic. 

Lol. according to same logic, now all Indians should identify themselves as Muslims since they were ruled by us Muslims & Mughals for a century.

17 hours ago, Aiden said:

Lol. according to same logic, now all Indians should identify themselves as Muslims since they were ruled by us Muslims & Mughals for a century.

"ruled by" doesn't change what you are.  Unless you get brainwashed and lie to yourself of course.  Did British rule make Indians British? 

I'm sure some part of your family carries with pride the BS claim of being descended from 'Syeds'.  That's how it goes.  Education and truth will ultimately set these poor souls free.  But some choose to use their 'literacy' to avoid education, knowledge, and embrace infantile tribalism - even embracing a foreign tribe that enslaved and raped their ancestors.   It is what it is.

19 hours ago, Aiden said:

Us lmao. :hysterical:

This is like some African American saying that "us Europeans ruled over you desis" because of their shared religion and some 0.1% European ancestry from all those slave rapes. 

It's hilarious to see that even in 2020 our dear mard-e-converts from across the border are deluding themselves that they ruled over us. :phehe:

2 hours ago, sandeep said:

I'm sure some part of your family carries with pride the BS claim of being descended from 'Syeds'. 

Most of the so called Arab descendant  syeds of the subcontinent are higher caste Hindu converts who didn't want to let go off their prestige and social status. And that's why they took  "reputable" surnames like Syed, Khan, Sheikh, Qureshi etc. 

They're as Arab as Obama is Russian. 

23 hours ago, Aiden said:

that does not make any sense. and who is this 'us' you are talking about you are pakistani what is the us here ?

23 hours ago, Aiden said:

Indians should identify themselves as Muslims since they were ruled by us Muslims & Mughals

i think you anger as a pakistani is directed at India being an enemy culture, India is an enemy country the Indian civilization is not an enemy you are part of it. 

Muslims are people following a religion, Mughals are a antique nationality. Muslims did not rule any one Mugals did. Indians are a nationality and Indians are a people as well. Most of Pakistan because of limited intelligence does not understand all this, Indians are pretty glad and thankful you lot don't call yourself Indian muslims btw. you are turkish for sure lol.

1 hour ago, MechEng said:

This is the reason why the show got banned in North Africa and Arab nations, because they too figured it out that it was about Turkish / Ottoman nationalism.

So why did IK ask every citizen of his country to watch it?

1 hour ago, Adi_91 said:

So why did IK ask every citizen of his country to watch it?

Erdogan wants to re-establish the days of Ottoman Empire  and that goes very well with Pakistani establishment with strong pan Islamic mindset. Arab nations on the other hand are not pan Islamic, they're religious but also very well aware of cultural differences. Eastern Arabs of Gulf nations are different from Western Arabs of Syria, Lebanon, Iraq and Palestine, who in turn are different from North African Arabs.