Dravida bug spreading in Bengaluru

coffee_rules

10 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

For the uninitiated, ‘mindri’ in Kannada slang is a paramour. You can normalize such casteist slurs from this gentleman here.  Dravida is a Sanskrit word that means a peninsula. Karnataka is no Dravida Nadu, it has coast on only one side

South India is a peninsula as a whole. None of the states are in themselves of course. Absurd. No one really cares if someone calls them Dravidian etc. It’s just sectarian in an already sectarian society 

10 hours ago, Gollum said:

I don't understand why some posters here always resort to personal abuses. Spoils the mood, no provocation, hardly ever post here but when they do just bile directed towards others. God knows what they are gaining!!!

What happened this thread was chill..when I last saw it I came here for food updates lol

56 minutes ago, diga said:

^ deleting his post would have been enough.. not ban him from posting during the IPL season

Yeah. Also we don't want to curtail the freedom of speech even if it doesn't appeal to us. Lanni may have used bad words (I have no idea of what was said) but if so, deleting would suffice and maybe a warning will be better. I don't want this site to go down the route that youtube has taken. After youtube, facebook, amazon and other conglomerates started their war on hate speech and cyber bullying, certain videos, articles and books are no longer seen on the internet and google is using seo to push dissenting comments down in their list or banning them altogether.

38 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Maniac tagged Lanni, Lanni used some casteist slurs/abuses against coffee for no reason, that post is deleted. 

I like Lanni actually. It’s just that he hates a lot more things than I do but we do bond on Some common hatred :)

Yes didn’t appreciate the casteist slur on Coffee bhai though.

I just don't get the 'casteist slur' thing - growing up in Bombay in the 80s and 90s, nobody gave AF whether you were gujju, tamil, marathi or whatever.  Forget caste, region and language didnt really matter.  Is it really that provincial and small-minded elsewhere?  I do notice a bit of bias in my cousins who grew up in gujarat, from whom I will hear occasional  'jokes' that I don't quite understand about their colleague or friends' last name, along the lines of - you wont understand he is a xyz, thats how they are. 

Just now, sandeep said:

I just don't get the 'casteist slur' thing - growing up in Bombay in the 80s and 90s, nobody gave AF whether you were gujju, tamil, marathi or whatever.  Forget caste, region and language didnt really matter.  Is it really that provincial and small-minded elsewhere?  I do notice a bit of bias in my cousins who grew up in gujarat, from whom I will hear occasional  'jokes' that I don't quite understand about their colleague or friends' last name, along the lines of - you wont understand he is a xyz, thats how they are. 

You probably lived in a bio secure bubble way before it was a thing.

23 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Maybe you don't understand because thats how they are :phehe: But seriously, growing up in a city is different from a small town or village. different communities in the village get their reputations based on what the stereotype is which is an amalgamation of their experiences with that caste. There is no political correctness there and they form opinions just by their castes even if said individual doesn't represent the stereotypical view of their castes. That is the negative point whereas the positive is there is good cohesion among their castes. Only if that can be extended to cohesion with their compatriots this can be solved. This doesnt mean forced mixing among the castes. Creating inter-dependencies can be a good option.

One of my best friends is a son of a recently migrated telugu family from across the state border. He has told me stories from his ancestral village that his far off relatives there consider Chennai telugus as a lower class even though they are related. They were talking in telugu about how these people are low class in front of my friend who knows telugu. He told them that he knows telugu and then they shut up with uncomfortable smiles. I grew up in Chennai and casteist treatment is frowned upon. One of the benefits of the dravidian movement (if you can call it that) is that asking someone's caste is often a taboo.

3 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

One of the benefits of the dravidian movement (if you can call it that) is that asking someone's caste is often a taboo.

It is taboo in all places even without that sectarian movement. Most of the casteism or casteist atrocities are perpetuaed by OBCs over SC/STs. Vokkaligas and Kurbus have separate electorate. They vote mainly among caste lines in south Karnataka. 

3 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

It is taboo in all places even without that sectarian movement. Most of the casteism or casteist atrocities are perpetuaed by OBCs over SC/STs. Vokkaligas and Kurbus have separate electorate. They vote mainly among caste lines in south Karnataka. 

This I believe is a recent phenomenon. We are actually going down as a species. Our politicians have understood that divide and conquer is the best form to keep themselves in power. They have learnt well from the British. THey even go to UK and US to get their degrees and awards and strange as it may seem the west may still have control over our country.