Jump to content
I6MTW

2020 French Open

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Point construction agree but I am talking about slow as molasses courts. There is a difference between Madrid clay and Monte Carlo clay.

Well Madrid again is fast clay with altitude. It rewards the players with better serves as you can get more free points on serve. Which is why Federer and Tsitsipas have beaten Nadal there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, I6MTW said:

Well Madrid again is fast clay with altitude. It rewards the players with better serves as you can get more free points on serve. Which is why Federer and Tsitsipas have beaten Nadal there.

Madrid has a history of being fast. Federer and Thiem both who prefer a bit faster courts than the current French Open courts beat Nadal in Madrid in the past. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, I6MTW said:

Well Madrid again is fast clay with altitude. It rewards the players with better serves as you can get more free points on serve. Which is why Federer and Tsitsipas have beaten Nadal there.

Fed beat Nadal because of another reason as well, Novak. If you watched that Djokodal semi you would agree. 3 setter going for over 4 hours, both of them were physically spent and there wasn't enough recovery time before the final. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Fed beat Nadal because of another reason as well, Novak. If you watched that Djokodal semi you would agree. 3 setter going for over 4 hours, both of them were physically spent and there wasn't enough recovery time before the final. 

Right. I must have confused Federer's Hamburg victories with Madrid.  I think clay variety is okay, with slow clay like MC and Barcelona and Fast clay like Madrid, and even Rome was faster than Madrid some years I think. What is necessary is for RG to be speeded up. Nadal's dominance has gone long enough. Need a new winner. 

 

On a side note, impressive performance by Tsitsipas today against Rublev, though Rublev self destructed. I caught glimpses of Federer, but with a higher potential of clutchness. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tsitsipas, if you think about it, is having the best rise compared to all the youngsters. Most youngsters who shine will not do that well in these grandslams. Tsitsipas has just been around for 2 years and is going deep in every slam now. He will lose to Djoker probably, only to work hard again. This is the guy which is impressive, more impressive then Zverev or Thiem when they both came about the ranks. 

 

He has become a household name in a short time that people think he has been around for a long time, when reality is that guys like Zverev have been around for a really long time now at the pro circuit. 

8 hours ago, I6MTW said:

Right. I must have confused Federer's Hamburg victories with Madrid.  I think clay variety is okay, with slow clay like MC and Barcelona and Fast clay like Madrid, and even Rome was faster than Madrid some years I think. What is necessary is for RG to be speeded up. Nadal's dominance has gone long enough. Need a new winner. 

 

On a side note, impressive performance by Tsitsipas today against Rublev, though Rublev self destructed. I caught glimpses of Federer, but with a higher potential of clutchness. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, I6MTW said:

On a side note, impressive performance by Tsitsipas today against Rublev, though Rublev self destructed. I caught glimpses of Federer, but with a higher potential of clutchness. 

I refuse to rate this younger gen man, just too many false dawns. Ability is there but these guys lack hunger and physical conditioning. Big 3 in their 20s used to play at a high level week in, week out.....fatigue/burnout/motivation never an issue for them. Now even Thiem looked gassed this tourney and he is supposed to be the fittest player in the circuit. Or maybe the excuse is the emotional high after winning USO, seriously? These players can have standalone moments of greatness with high peak, days where they can crush Big 3 members, but overall greatness long way to go. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gollum said:

I refuse to rate this younger gen man, just too many false dawns. Ability is there but these guys lack hunger and physical conditioning. Big 3 in their 20s used to play at a high level week in, week out.....fatigue/burnout/motivation never an issue for them. Now even Thiem looked gassed this tourney and he is supposed to be the fittest player in the circuit. Or maybe the excuse is the emotional high after winning USO, seriously? These players can have standalone moments of greatness with high peak, days where they can crush Big 3 members, but overall greatness long way to go. 

We have reached a point that we can’t keep comparing the younger lot with the big 3. Big 3 are once in a lifetime, generation players. They all pushed each other. No era has seen such dominance. They were just too good and still remain at top level. Its not just physica practice for them, it’s their mimdset where they excel more than other playersz 
 

I think it is not correct to keep bringing the work ethic up of guys like Thiem, Tsitsipas who work realy hard actually.

 

If you had mentiomed about Kyrgios work ethic, then I would agree with you, but Thiem and guys like Tsitsipas are working hard and getting better and better. They might never match the standards or even come close to Murray’s and Wawrinka’s slam tally, who knows, but doesn’t take away that these guys are putting in plenty of hard work day in day out. I have gotten a chance to work out college and also around ATP circuit during US Open series a few times now covering Cincinati and DC tournaments here with USTA as an observing journalist and seen myself the hardwork being put by some of these. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@I6MTW @Real McCoy @Cricketics your plans for Sunday? Who you supporting? Historic match coming up guys, so much at stake. 

 

Hope for an epic, me praying Nole pulls through so that Fed gets to keep his record a bit longer. Head says Nadal, too many false hopes in previous RG finals for me and Nole seems to have a problem with his neck, also his legs will be a bit heavier and that will show as match gets longer, BHDTL is missing/misfiring which is such a crucial weapon against the clay God. Psychologically I call it 50:50, Nole's movement/serve/ROS is better but Nadal hasn't needed to stretch himself to max power yet.....but that FH looks to be getting into the groove. I am worried that if Nole tries too much of his cute dropshots there will be punishment in store. Moreover stupidity to bet against a 12 time champ. Analysis can be done for pages and pages, fascinating contest, could be an all time classic. 

Edited by Gollum
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Gollum said:

@I6MTW @Real McCoy @Cricketics your plans for Sunday? Who you supporting? Historic match coming up guys, so much at stake. 

 

Hope for an epic, me praying Nole pulls through so that Fed gets to keep his record a bit longer. Head says Nadal, too many false hopes in previous RG finals for me and Nole seems to have a problem with his neck, also his legs will be a bit heavier and that will show as match gets longer, BHDTL is missing/misfiring which is such a crucial weapon against the clay God. Psychologically I call it 50:50, Nole's movement/serve/ROS is better but Nadal hasn't needed to stretch himself to max power yet.....but that FH looks to be getting into the groove. I am worried that if Nole tries too much of his cute dropshots there will be punishment in store. Moreover stupidity to bet against a 12 time champ. Analysis can be done for pages and pages, fascinating contest, could be an all time classic. 


I am supporting Djoker. No doubt about it. And I will say that Nadal is favorite to win this. I don’t think Djoker will be too happy that the game went that far with Tsitsipas. He should have closed it out in the 3rd set itself. It was a nightmare for him to lose the next two sets and stay on court for this long.

 

That said, if there is anyone who is in Nadal’s head ever then that is Djoker. I see mentally Nadal going into this Roland Garros as little less confident. He still starts as favorite as this is his arena. He sits on this throne. I hope Djokovic will dethrone him, but I see Nadal winning this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gollum said:

@I6MTW @Real McCoy @Cricketics your plans for Sunday? Who you supporting? Historic match coming up guys, so much at stake. 

 

Hope for an epic, me praying Nole pulls through so that Fed gets to keep his record a bit longer. Head says Nadal, too many false hopes in previous RG finals for me and Nole seems to have a problem with his neck, also his legs will be a bit heavier and that will show as match gets longer, BHDTL is missing/misfiring which is such a crucial weapon against the clay God. Psychologically I call it 50:50, Nole's movement/serve/ROS is better but Nadal hasn't needed to stretch himself to max power yet.....but that FH looks to be getting into the groove. I am worried that if Nole tries too much of his cute dropshots there will be punishment in store. Moreover stupidity to bet against a 12 time champ. Analysis can be done for pages and pages, fascinating contest, could be an all time classic. 

 

Kinda caught in two minds there. I want Roger to keep his record longer but Nole and his mannerisms are a bit odd for me. Maybe thats why he doesn't feature in the Fedal friendship. Ideally I would want someone like Thiem to win or even a Tsitsipas but that wasn't to be. I dont know how Thiem who was a finalist last RG had to go through the tough draw this season. RG organizers should get a kick in their a$$

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Gollum I know how strong mentally Djo is on Nadal. Nadal has lost many big matches (finals, SFs) to Djo. I am just hoping on clay he retains his supremacy, he has like 20 slams from RG itself. But , on his day nobody , not even Federer can beat Djo. But I don’t like him to win. That’s all. I will not be upset if Nadal loses, he can lose only to the best. 
 

Vamos Rafa

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...