ICC World Test Championship 2019-21 [Continued]

Stan AF

Who will be the finalists for WTC??  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be #1 and #2 in the points table?

• Australia & India
    • Australia & New Zealand
    • New Zealand & India
    • England & Australia
    • England & India
    • England & New Zealand
    • Other teams except top 4

1 hour ago, chewy said:

^^^ actually I would favoured playing final at home of whoever finishes No.1, they should get home advantage.

Therefore rewarding the top team in league phase.

Very good idea but unfortunately all teams din't play each other though. So it seems infeasible. That's why I feel the wtc concept of a final is stupid. It's asinine to have a final when all teams teams don't play eachh other. 

Edited by Jay
16 minutes ago, Jay said:

Very good idea but unfortunately all teams din't play each other though. So it seems infeasible. That's why I feel the wtc concept of a final is stupid. It's asinine to have a final when all teams teams don't play eachh other. 

Can't happen because India will always refuse to play Pakistan

5 hours ago, sage said:

Can't happen because India will always refuse to play Pakistan

Or that series can be deemed a draw. Give every team a bonus draw. As in 1 free draw for every team to compensate for India Pakistan and one or Afghanistan or Bangla can fight for the coveted number 8 spot in test cricket format. 

Edited by Jay
14 hours ago, Jay said:

Or that series can be deemed a draw. Give every team a bonus draw. As in 1 free draw for every team to compensate for India Pakistan and one or Afghanistan or Bangla can fight for the coveted number 8 spot in test cricket format. 

Even then you have some countries playing at home and some playing away

On 2/9/2021 at 11:28 PM, Lone Wolf said:

Format is joke..  NZ qualify on the basis of home wins & easy draw.  To me both England & India deserve to play the final after what they achieved overseas.  Eng won Two overseas tour in SA & SL & doing well here.  India also won in WI & Aus.  It's a shame only one of them will get to play it.  But then again there's no excuse if India loses 3-0 at home or worse. 

Format became less than ideal due to COVID. Otherwise it was pretty fair. Its a pretty good system. The only way to make it better would be to have all 9 teams play the other 8, four series home/away each. Obviously that can't happen so this is the next best thing. 

The biggest issue for India in WTC if they qualify is preparation. Nz will Play 2 tests in England ( 1 in Lords i think) and 4 days after the test they play the final. Compare this with Indian team who will play gung ho ipl go to England 7 days before and face a well oiled Boult Southee Jamieson on a greenish Lords pitch at 11 AM.. and then comes the muscle memory from IPL.. outside the off ball and bang.. Rohit caught Taylor bowled Boult for 7! And india 16/1. 

3 hours ago, neel roy said:

The biggest issue for India in WTC if they qualify is preparation. Nz will Play 2 tests in England ( 1 in Lords i think) and 4 days after the test they play the final. Compare this with Indian team who will play gung ho ipl go to England 7 days before and face a well oiled Boult Southee Jamieson on a greenish Lords pitch at 11 AM.. and then comes the muscle memory from IPL.. outside the off ball and bang.. Rohit caught Taylor bowled Boult for 7! And india 16/1. 

Good point. Preparation is key. Honestly it’s not the end of the world if we lose wtc. Winning a series is more important.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Good point. Preparation is key. Honestly it’s not the end of the world if we lose wtc. Winning a series is more important.

There's no need to prepare excuses beforehand. Winning WTC should be Big deal. It'll be the first tournament win under kohli and prepare the players with confidence for the three white ball WCs in next 3 years. Plus it'll mark the dominance of our test team in this era

1 hour ago, Serpico said:

There's no need to prepare excuses beforehand. Winning WTC should be Big deal. It'll be the first tournament win under kohli and prepare the players with confidence for the three white ball WCs in next 3 years. Plus it'll mark the dominance of our test team in this era

It's a rubbish one off test in Condtions that suit EN teams? It's not a proper series. Anyone can win a one off fluke test. Doesn't mean much. Winning a series in Australia or England is far more Important. 

Later when we travel to S. Africa. Now that's important. 

If we win the wtc then sure I will be happy but it's not a big deal. 

Losing to Aussies and still managing to win the wtc would not be the same to me. Would much rather win a series in Australia and thrash England in a proper 4 tests home series than win some off test. 

1 minute ago, Jay said:

It's a rubbish one off test in Condtions that suit EN teams? It's not a proper series. Anyone can win a one off fluke test. Doesn't mean much. Winning a series in Australia or England is far more Important. 

this is like saying winning Paytm ODI series is more important than WC final because its just a one off match. A final of a tournament is not just any one off match, it got its own significance. winning important matches like that shows how well prepared a team is to handle crunch situations and peak at the right time. Conditions will vary all the time in cricket, 2 out of next 3 WCs are in India, does that mean winning those WCs has no meaning for other teams? We shouldn't be coming with so many excuses when we are the favorites

11 minutes ago, Serpico said:

this is like saying winning Paytm ODI series is more important than WC final because its just a one off match. A final of a tournament is not just any one off match, it got its own significance. winning important matches like that shows how well prepared a team is to handle crunch situations and peak at the right time. Conditions will vary all the time in cricket, 2 out of next 3 WCs are in India, does that mean winning those WCs has no meaning for other teams? We shouldn't be coming with so many excuses when we are the favorites

Odi and tests. Not a good comparison. 

No one cares about bilateral odi's. 

Test cricket is real cricket. Winning a big test series is vastly different to an odi series. Odi bilaterals is used a tune ups for figuring out WC combination. 

Every test series is important. Much more difficult to win an away test series than a bilateral. 

Infact even Indian players would agree. Winning an away series in Australia is greater than winning a WC. 

Anyway if we win the WTC it great. We deserve to for our dominance over the past 4* years. But I would much rather vs new zeland in a 3 test series in the final rather than just a one off game. So it takes flukes out of the equation. Ideally toss should be taken out of equation too. 

Atlea a 2 test series for the final would be nice. No? 

Edited by Jay
27 minutes ago, Jay said:

But I would much rather vs new zeland in a 3 test series in the final rather than just a one off game. So it takes flukes out of the equation. Ideally toss should be taken out of equation too. 

Atlea a 2 test series for the final would be nice. No? 

Ideally I'll cancel the WT20 that happens every year and force all major test nations play 4 test series regularly. I'll also force India play regular test series with Pakistan and clear that H2H record. But ideal situation is not happening. So I'm okay with the next best thing.

And how do you propose, we take toss out of equation? Giving it to table topper? It still doesn't take away the advantage for the team batting first. 

25 minutes ago, Serpico said:

Ideally I'll cancel the WT20 that happens every year and force all major test nations play 4 test series regularly. I'll also force India play regular test series with Pakistan and clear that H2H record. But ideal situation is not happening. So I'm okay with the next best thing.

And how do you propose, we take toss out of equation? Giving it to table topper? It still doesn't take away the advantage for the team batting first. 

No I meant prepare pitches that last 4 days at least. Like it's going to be a mamba make it behave like a mamba from day 1 first ball.

If it will be a Turner then make it behave like one from day 1 first ball. 

bouncy seaming wicket then make it a vicious bouncy wicket sinde day 1 first ball. 

Flat ? Then at least let it last till date 4 for a batting shootout. 

Prepare pitches that takes toss out of equation for the most part. 

Edited by Jay
On 2/22/2021 at 5:51 PM, Jay said:

Infact even Indian players would agree. Winning an away series in Australia is greater than winning a WC. 

Completely disagree.

While India beating Australia in Australia was awesome and an incredible achievement against all odds.

I would rather India win a World Cup and from a financial perspective, Im sure the Indian players would rather win an ODI World Cup too. 

Wasnt all the Indian players payed massive bonuses in 2011 for winning the World Cup?

13 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

Completely disagree.

While India beating Australia in Australia was awesome and an incredible achievement against all odds.

I would rather India win a World Cup and from a financial perspective, Im sure the Indian players would rather win an ODI World Cup too. 

Wasnt all the Indian players payed massive bonuses in 2011 for winning the World Cup?

Tests is the pinnacle or cricket. But each to their own I guess.