2020 ATP Finals

Real McCoy

What can we conclude from this ATP tour finals  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Either

• These 2 played out of their skins
    • Beginning to show their true class
    • The older two are getting older for the game and its a time for changing of the guards
    • The older two are not paying attention to this tour and focus more on the slams and normal order ensues
    • 5 sets are a different animal
    • Others - Please specify

I totally forgot about it so must be the case with other tennis enthusiasts. Medvedev and Thiem to play the finals defeating Nadal and Djokovic in the SF respectively. Medvedev also beat Djokovic in the RR and so did Thiem against Nadal. What was interesting is both of them came from behind to win against the players of the caliber of djokodal. Nadal was serving for the match at 5-4 when Medvedev broke him and won the tiebreaker and won the third with a break. Thiem had multiple opportunities in the second set and was trailing in the third set tiebreaker 0-4 but won it 7-5. I have put a poll up for what the reason could be.

@Gollum@I6MTW@velu@Cricketics@coffee_rules@SK_IH

You can tag in others as well

Edited by Real McCoy

11 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I totally forgot about it so must be the case with other tennis enthusiasts. Medvedev and Thiem to play the finals defeating Nadal and Djokovic in the SF respectively. Medvedev also beat Djokovic in the RR and so did Thiem against Nadal. What was interesting is both of them came from behind to win against the players of the caliber of djokodal. Nadal was serving for the match at 5-4 when Medvedev broke him and won the tiebreaker and won the third with a break. Thiem had multiple opportunities in the second set and was trailing in the third set tiebreaker 0-4 but won it 7-5. I have put a poll up for what the reason could be.

I was following the tournament but forgot to create a thread for it, must be because of all the archiving that was done . I watched the Thiem - Djokovic match. I thought the match was over when Thiem choked 4 MPs and when he waz trailing 0-4 in the TB. Suddenly Thiem raised his level and Djokovic lost his clutchness. I didn't see the Nadal match but I knew Medvedev would finally be able to get rid of his demons against Nadal, considering the form her was in. I guess Nadal's last chance was this year, he'll never win the WTF now. Thiem-Medvedev could go both ways. I don't mind either of them winning, but I feel Thiem might  not have another chance considering he's the older of the two.

One thing is for sure, with these results, Djokovic is almost 99.9% guaranteed to pass Federer dor most weeks at No.1(311+).

13 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

I was following the tournament but forgot to create a thread for it, must be because of all the archiving that was done . I watched the Thiem - Djokovic match. I thought the match was over when Thiem choked 4 MPs and when he waz trailing 0-4 in the TB. Suddenly Thiem raised his level and Djokovic lost his clutchness. I didn't see the Nadal match but I knew Medvedev would finally be able to get rid of his demons against Nadal, considering the form her was in. I guess Nadal's last chance was this year, he'll never win the WTF now. Thiem-Medvedev could go both ways. I don't mind either of them winning, but I feel Thiem might  not have another chance considering he's the older of the two.

One thing is for sure, with these results, Djokovic is almost 99.9% guaranteed to pass Federer dor most weeks at No.1(311+).

Some people on the tennis forums think Djokovic's clutchness has declined since the Nadal bagel in the FO final but I think its more of Thiem playing well in the tb. most weeks at no.1 is almost gone :sad_smile:

7 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Some people on the tennis forums think Djokovic's clutchness has declined since the Nadal bagel in the FO final but I think its more of Thiem playing well in the tb. most weeks at no.1 is almost gone :sad_smile:

Yeaa, I am on MTF and ive heard many saying it's because of age and his decline has started. Many are saying Djokvoic never really even played a convincing match all year other than the ATP Cup final . 

Haven't followed live tennis post the French Open, just a few YT highlights videos. Yesterday's result was good for Fed fans. Nadal will never win ATP Finals and that will be a serious blemish in his GOAT credentials. Nole had a good year despite his underwhelming play and controversies. But it looks like his BH is gone, unless he rectifies that he will have a torrid time in 2021 even against Nadal on HC. AO will reveal more since that is his home turf.

I still think Fed can have a successful comeback based on whatever I have seen from these other guys, we could see more smart scheduling from big 3 henceforth. All have got more or less what they wanted till now...now it is just the slam race with Nadal a clear favorite cos of red clay. As a Fed fan I will be thrilled if he can get an Olympic gold in singles, even if he falls short in majors a gaping hole in his resume can be filled that way...same I guess for Nole and his fanbase, for these two well-rounded ATGs an Olympic gold could be a massive plus point in GOAT race especially for Fed who is also going to lose weeks at #1 record soon. 

Coming to this final, I like both players, will be ok either way. But Med is younger of the two with higher ceiling on HC, Thiem may not get many more chances..already suffered a heartbreak last year, same stage. 

Edited by Gollum

17 minutes ago, velu said:

i dont follow minor tournamentsnets ..

vamos rafa :isalute:

Spoken like a true Nadal fanboy, anything your hero doesn't win automatically becomes minor tournament :rofl:

All previous ATGs since ATP Finals (WTF and other names earlier) inception have won this event, pity Rafa couldn't do so...15 years is a long time. 8 best players of the year, no easy match, real test to determine champion of champions. 

7 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Spoken like a true Nadal fanboy, anything your hero doesn't win automatically becomes minor tournament :rofl:

All previous ATGs since ATP Finals (WTF and other names earlier) inception have won this event, pity Rafa couldn't do so...15 years is a long time. 8 best players of the year, no easy match, real test to determine champion of champions. 

It's a known fact that Nadal sucks on indoor HC. The main reason Nadal won anything off clay was easy draws, weaker competition at that tournament, and chokes from opponents. 

10 minutes ago, Gollum said:

masters .. sound like retired players tournament  :giggle: 

4 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Like @I6MTW, following the whole tournament but got lazy in creating a thread.

I think the result will be the repeat of US Open matchbetween the two. Medvedev played brilliant tennis in the 3rd set to win against Nadal. Nadal still did not win this tournament after years of travelling to 02 arena. I mean wow.

Thiem to me has an edge due to the crazy comeback he had in the tie-!reak against a better indoor court player Djokovic. His confidence will be high. Won’t be easy though. I expect a three setter. We want it. 

4 hours ago, I6MTW said:

Yeaa, I am on MTF and ive heard many saying it's because of age and his decline has started. Many are saying Djokvoic never really even played a convincing match all year other than the ATP Cup final . 

4 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

MTF has its share of trolls and many 15-18 some. This season has been weird due to pandemic. Djoker won Australian open earlier in the year. He was the fav to win US Open and likely would have beaten Thiem in the final there too if not for his blunder against Busta hitting the lines woman.

Congrats Bear. 

Thiem has a really pathetic record in finals, and Fed had to gift him an Indian Wells crown :facepalm:last year, mental midgetry in BPs and his clueless drop shots that day (again!!!!)....one of his underrated chokes. One part of me wants Fed to come back in 2021 but he will also choke winnable matches against this younger generation. Just hope that Nole and Rafa too have their share of chokes henceforth like we saw 2 days back. 

5 hours ago, Gollum said:

Congrats Bear. 

Thiem has a really pathetic record in finals, and Fed had to gift him an Indian Wells crown :facepalm:last year, mental midgetry in BPs and his clueless drop shots that day (again!!!!)....one of his underrated chokes. One part of me wants Fed to come back in 2021 but he will also choke winnable matches against this younger generation. Just hope that Nole and Rafa too have their share of chokes henceforth like we saw 2 days back. 

Not to mention that choke from Zverev at USO.

If not for these two chokes, Thiem would have been winless in finals of big tournaments.  For a guy that is so ahead of the field when it comes to playing against the big 3, he loses his clutchness in finals. Idk how many more chances he'll get to win WTF as he's 27-28. 

On 11/22/2020 at 5:37 AM, I6MTW said:

It's a known fact that Nadal sucks on indoor HC. The main reason Nadal won anything off clay was easy draws, weaker competition at that tournament, and chokes from opponents. 

The main reason Nadal won anything on clay is because he is the closest version of God on clay.

The man bagels the world #1 6-0 in French Open final, a guy who is one of the greatest claycourter of all time. At ripe old age of 34. 

I am a fed fan through and through but it does no credit to make ridiculous statements about the greatest claycourter ever, who is an entire class above anyone ever on clay, including Borg himself.

4 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

The main reason Nadal won anything on clay is because he is the closest version of God on clay.

The man bagels the world #1 6-0 in French Open final, a guy who is one of the greatest claycourter of all time. At ripe old age of 34. 

I am a fed fan through and through but it does no credit to make ridiculous statements about the greatest claycourter ever, who is an entire class above anyone ever on clay, including Borg himself.

Read my statement again. There is no mention about Nadal's clay prowess. I was talking about OFF clay.