Discussion on Farmers issues in India

dial_100

3 hours ago, Clarke said:

Does anyone supporting universal MSP think we should continue to be 57% agrarian society forever ? How many middle income economies have done this sort of thing in the past or present, never mind high income ones.

We always have land acquisition challenges, there's no way there will be transition to industry if farmers have guaranteed income. If they don't trust industry at all, they sure as hell will not budge later with more guarantees in hand on agri.

We will never be an agrarian society forever. Farming percentage has a downward slope and will continue to do so. The issue is meanwhile they transition the blows have to be cushioned.

5 hours ago, bharathh said:

Do you get a guaranteed salary for your job in perpetuity? Is it exploitation if you don't? 

Do you understand why a guaranteed MSP is a bad thing? 

No and No.

I do not understand that.

2 hours ago, Khota said:

You have a problem. If his work is considered low value then you and I are two different human beings. 

Anyone who works should be respected. To me someone working in PSU and collecting wages even with a Ph.D from IIT and producing nothing is truly a low value work.  

I never said farming is low value. I only meant growing wheat and paddy in this day and age of surplus is low value.

And to start with, what you are talking of is Dignity of labour. There is NO relation between dignity of labour and market value of work.

There is an interesting possibility that can pop-up If one accepts:

1) The farm laws will continue to be implemented

2) MSP will remains indefinitely (as the PM said in RS)

The government will continue to acquire the designated crops from the mandis, but now people from all states will have access to those mandis, not just farmers from the state in which the mandis are located. For example: Bengal, a major producer of rice,  or MP, a leading producer of wheat, could have farmers from those states make the trek to Punjab/Haryana mandis to sell those crops at government, MSP rates. 

This could happen for all ~23 crops for which MSP is guaranteed by the government. 

This could lead to an increase in the quality of crop procured by the government, as there could be increased competition for those MSP purchases. It also could cut out middle-men who would go outside of the state to buy crops and then re-sell them at the government mandis. 

Of course, that all depends on the ability of the farmers from other states being able to get to those government mandis. 

10 hours ago, kepler37b said:

I never said farming is low value. I only meant growing wheat and paddy in this day and age of surplus is low value.

And to start with, what you are talking of is Dignity of labour. There is NO relation between dignity of labour and market value of work.

Lot of government employees collect unreal wages and make policyt that hurts farmers. They provide no net positive so if a farmer gets 70% of the MSP what exactly is the problem?

4 hours ago, Khota said:

Lot of government employees collect unreal wages and make policyt that hurts farmers. They provide no net positive so if a farmer gets 70% of the MSP what exactly is the problem?

Let's not indulge in what about that.....? Let's aim for reforming both. I accept that PSU's are inefficient. Do you agree that MSP based farming is inefficient?

Edited by kepler37b

5 hours ago, kepler37b said:

Let's not indulge in what about that.....? Let's aim for reforming both. I accept that PSU's are inefficient. Do you agree that MSP based farming is inefficient?

Agreed, need to reform both.

Answer to your quetion is difficult.

From monetary POV yes MSP is inefficient. But from overall employment scheme it keeps half a billion people busy and put some food on the table. So overall look at MSP as an employment generating scheme that is not very expensive. If you stop that almost half a billion people will have nothing to do.

Answer to your question is not binary but shades of grey.

5 hours ago, kepler37b said:

https://www.mohindergulati.com/post/letter-to-greta

Fair criticism of Indian farmer by Ex UN official. Now Andolan Jivi's will call him bhakt. But read the letter before commenting

Also I read this letter.

Let us talk about corruption in the maket. The private players who but produce from the farmer are more often accused of the fact thattheir machines that weigh are calibrated in their favor. Government machines are more fair. There is a lot of corruption in India but few bills wont fix it.

Reality is majority of farmers are hurting.

19 hours ago, Tibarn said:

There is an interesting possibility that can pop-up If one accepts:

1) The farm laws will continue to be implemented

2) MSP will remains indefinitely (as the PM said in RS)

The government will continue to acquire the designated crops from the mandis, but now people from all states will have access to those mandis, not just farmers from the state in which the mandis are located. For example: Bengal, a major producer of rice,  or MP, a leading producer of wheat, could have farmers from those states make the trek to Punjab/Haryana mandis to sell those crops at government, MSP rates. 

This could happen for all ~23 crops for which MSP is guaranteed by the government. 

This could lead to an increase in the quality of crop procured by the government, as there could be increased competition for those MSP purchases. It also could cut out middle-men who would go outside of the state to buy crops and then re-sell them at the government mandis. 

Of course, that all depends on the ability of the farmers from other states being able to get to those government mandis. 

They could cooperatively hire distributors/transporters. who can transport the produce to faraway mandis.  Negotiations can be electronic.