Top picks for T20WC21 in Ind

zen

If the T20WC21 happens in Ind this year (no issues from COVID), below are how the teams are shaping up w/ 6 months to go. Note that the pitches are likely to be under ICC's control: 

Tier 1 (Hot favorites) 

• Eng - good batting depth + some effective bowlers in Archer, Wood, etc. 
  • WI - a mirror image of Eng but with even deadly batting fire power + some good bowlers in Holder, Joseph, etc. 

Tier 2 (Favorites)

• Aus - A well balanced side with a good bowling attack. If in form has the opportunity to not only win its first T20 titles, but also do a back to back titles with the next installment in Aus 
  • Ind - Similar to Aus as a well balanced side. Though a lot would depend upon the form of SDP (Hardik) & Pant (if these two do not click, Ind's chances could reduce considerably) 
  • NZ - a mini Eng and WI, esp. with many new players. Bowling can be deadly if Boult is in form 

Tier 3 (Dark horses)

• Pak - Can pick up its game in these conditions 
  • SA - If full strength with guys like ABDV back, it can get is first world cup title. Promising mix of good bowlers (Rabada, Norjke, etc.) + ARs (new boy Jansen, Morris, Miller, etc.) + some good power hitting batsmen 

Tier 4 (Can surprise)

• AFG - Getting better with experience 
  • BD - Many of their top players will need to be in good form
  • SL - May introduce some talented cricketer(s)

Teams within a tier are in alphabetical order 

Edited by zen

Since 2015, NZ has made it to the final of all World Cups:

2015 ODIs v Aus

2019 ODIs v Eng

2021 WTC (if it counts) v Ind

Let’s see if the trend continues in T20s. If so, it could likely meet a new finalist too as it has not repeated the teams so far (I.e. other than Aus, Eng and Ind - if WTC counts) such as WI (or SA or Pak or ...)  ... Interesting scenario!

PS maybe in odd years as it missed out of the final in 2016 (or does not work in T20s)

Edited by zen
16 minutes ago, zen said:

Since 2015, NZ has made it to the final of all World Cups:

2015 ODIs v Aus

2019 ODIs v Eng

2021 WTC (if it counts) v Ind

Let’s see if the trend continues in T20s. If so, it could likely meet a new finalist too as it has not repeated the teams so far (I.e. other than Aus, Eng and Ind - if WTC counts) such as WI (or SA or Pak or ...)  ... Interesting scenario!

But they didn't in 2016

8 minutes ago, Serpico said:

But they didn't in 2016

Oh yeah, missed that one! ... One bad game there v Eng in SF ... maybe it does not work in T20s or maybe it works for NZ in odd years ... if so, may get back on track this time

Edited by zen
32 minutes ago, Serpico said:

WI, Aus, NZ, Pak are all in the same group. Considering the mental block NZ got against Aus and Pak in major events, they might be eliminated in the group stage

In 2016, NZ did beat Aus in the group stages. Iirc, it was unbeaten in the groups and only lost in the SF 

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

Lol at India being 3rd or 4th. Oh wait? U mean Kohli as captain. Oh yea sounds about right. But with correct personnel India should be number 1. 

My list has teams in tiers, where all teams within a tier are equal (arranged alphabetically) 

Aussies have no chance to win the T20. Not good enough. 

Full strength England, India are stronger. 

I think because we have dubderhead as captain, I would say we are third favourites after England and west indies. 

If we had a better captain, then India is number 1. 

Just now, Jay said:

Aussies have no chance to win the T20. Not good enough. 

Full strength England, India are stronger. 

I think because we have dubderhead as captain, I would say we are third favourites after England and west indies. 

If we had a better captain, then India is number 1. 

Like India in past they are stuck with ODI template