Favorite Epic Films

zen

Per AFI epics (or should I say historical epics) are "a genre of large-scale films set in a cinematic interpretation of the past. Their scope defies and demands—either in the mode in which they are presented or their range across time. A bloody sword fight in an ancient coliseum; carnage on an open battlefield; a country on the eve of revolution. With sweeping interpretations of turbulent times, epics depict characters that, whether nobly heroic or shamefully depraved, are living life on the grandest of scales."

In 2008, it picked 10 best films, ranking them as following:

Winners:

1. redstar.gif Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
  2. redstar.gif Ben-Hur (1959)
  3. redstar.gif Schindler's List (1993)
  4. redstar.gif Gone With The Wind (1939)
  5. Spartacus (1960)
  6. Titanic (1997)
  7. redstar.gif All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
  8. Saving Private Ryan (1998)
  9. Reds (1981)
  10. The Ten Commandments (1956)

I agree with its top choice - Lawrence of Arabia. It is perfect with legendary direction, acting, cinematography and background score. Outside of historical epics, there are films such as 2001: A Space Odyssey too (Sci-Fi epic). Among non-English language films, we have immaculate epics such as Kurosawa's Ran (Japanese), where he seems to have squeezed all his experience to make an unforgettable film. Which are your top 3-5 favorite epics? 

20 hours ago, Ranvir said:

In no specific order I would say

Gladiator

Troy

Lord Of The Rings Trilogy

Kingdom Of Heaven

Ben Hur

Spartacus

Spartacus and Gladiator are great  ... Ben-Hur is great too but has too much grief in it to not have relatively more rewatchability for me (Messala is one of the cruelest villains) ... The other 3, I have not watched them recently but they have more "masala" elements in them iirc 

Recently, rewatched the Ten Commandments (released in 4k DV now; colors are gorgeous). Because of the way it was shot, along with its acting, it feels unique 

Edited by zen

30 minutes ago, zen said:

Spartacus and Gladiator are great  ... Ben-Hur is great too but has too much grief in it to not have relatively more rewatchability for me (Messala is one of the cruelest villains) ... The other 3, I have not watched them recently but they have more "masala" elements in them iirc 

Recently, rewatched the Ten Commandments (released in 4k DV now; colors are gorgeous). Because of the way it was shot, along with its acting, it feels unique 

What about Braveheart? I enjoyed it. Even though it was highly historically inaccurate.

Still think Gladiator is one of the best.

Just now, I6MTW said:

What about Braveheart? I enjoyed it. Even though it was highly historically inaccurate.

Still think Gladiator is one of the best.

Braveheart is superb too. It has the “raw” energy to it, esp. in action sequences, and covers touchy subjects such as “prima nocte”

6 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

So only AFI decides what is epic?

I asked because we are mainly talking from the historical epics perspective (as mentioned in the OP) ... of course, there are epics in other categories as well such as 2001: A Space Odyssey ... if you do not have one, that is fine too 

20 hours ago, zen said:

I asked because we are mainly talking from the historical epics perspective (as mentioned in the OP) ... of course, there are epics in other categories as well such as 2001: A Space Odyssey ... if you do not have one, that is fine too 

Still don’t get what qualifies as epic. How is Titanic an epic, it has a large canvass. Is that the qualification?  Ten Commandments was a boring sermon esp after Moses returns from the desert. The Mummy had epic war scenes, won’t it qualify?

Maya Bazaar was a better epic than most listed in OP