Hindi Imposition

coffee_rules

26 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Marathi script is 90% same as Hindi....

They chose devanagari like Hindi speakers. But the language has roots from Maratha Prakrit that also influenced languages like Kannada, Telugu, Konkani etc. I can watch some Marathi movies without subtitles sometimes as there are so many Kannada words, sounds like Uttara Karnataka accent. Jaasti, Javabdaari, kashta etc

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

A certain someone shamelessly shills for any and all cricketers who speak 'his' language, but accuses me of being gujju biased.  Because somehow my fondness for Boomrah, Bhuvi, Siraj, Sundar, Samson, Shaw is motivated by my desire to see 'gujjus' in the team....

Not sure about gujju bias, but obviously, you surely have a thing for guys whose names begin with B or S.   

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

20 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

We are from erstwhile Mysore princely state, a dominion state, not from some British enslaved territory glorifyingly called Presidency

Honestly, I don't really know where I am from.  All I know is that I am a Tamizh speaking Keralite who cusses in Kannada, married a Maharashtrian, and has American children.  Best of many worlds :-). 

On 11/20/2022 at 3:56 AM, ravishingravi said:

They are called Madrasi for genuine reason which was allmost whole of South India was part of Madras Presidency under British rule. Now a days, every one knows who is malloo, who is gulate, who is kudkudee,

14 minutes ago, mishra said:

They are called Madrasi for genuine reason which was allmost whole of South India was part of Madras Presidency under British rule. Now a days, every one knows who is malloo, who is gulate, who is kudkudee,

Except for princely states like Travancore, Mysore , Hyderabad, and many small states

36 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Honestly, I don't really know where I am from.  All I know is that I am a Tamizh speaking Keralite who cusses in Kannada, married a Maharashtrian, and has American children.  Best of many worlds :-). 

Man without Borders

Global Citizen

Vishwamaanawa

2 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Always thought beyond Gujarat & MP real South India starts...  Marathi actually looks closer in lingo to a south Indian language & probably has nothing in common to the North. 

Tamilians probably don't view anyone other than themselves as South Indians...  Hence the Dravidian theory kicks in. 

There is an easy litmus test.  Just ask them to pronounce the word for that super-popular tiffin item:

If they say  डॊसा,  then certified Naarthie.  Ashte. Mugeethu. (That's it. Finished.).

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

14 minutes ago, mishra said:

Shame that barring Hyderbadis (who are also being Gulatised) , Narthies dont know any Mysorian or Travancorian

You mentioned whole of South India was Madras Presidency. I corrected saying that princely states Travancore, Mysore etc were not part of Madras Presidency (Even Mangalore was part of Madras Presidency and so was Tirupati!). Mysore became Greater Karnataka got parts of Hyderabad (Telengana), Maratha Presidency and Madras Presidency. Tranvancore got merged with Kerala and became part of the Mallu gang.  Popular Mysorian - Sir M Vishweshwaraiah (ask raGa to pronounce it) 

Edited by coffee_rules

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

They chose devanagari like Hindi speakers. But the language has roots from Maratha Prakrit that also influenced languages like Kannada, Telugu, Konkani etc. I can watch some Marathi movies without subtitles sometimes as there are so many Kannada words, sounds like Uttara Karnataka accent. Jaasti, Javabdaari, kashta etc

Historically , a lot of Kannada speaking dynasties have expanded and ruled over large parts of Maharashtra and even up to Bengal at some point.  Rashtrakutas , Lata Chalukyas.

52 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Hmm . So I'm guessing you're a Palakkad Iyer brought up in Bangalore?:P

39 minutes ago, Clarke said:

Aye, we're being narrow minded here, dont bring logic & stuff

Just to be factual. Belgaum (English) / Belgaon (Marathi) or Belgavi (Kannada) belonged to  Bombay Presidency. In 1973, the langauge census showed about 60-30 in favor of Kannada and made this district part of Karnataka. Hum logon ne kabzaa kar liye. MES ki waat lag gayi :eviltongue:

5 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Historically , a lot of Kannada speaking dynasties have expanded and ruled over large parts of Maharashtra and even up to Bengal at some point.  Rashtrakutas , Lata Chalukyas.

Rashtrakuta empire was all the way till Gujarat too. Many Jain kings in the 12th century in south India (Hoysalas).