Pew's survey on religious tolerance and segregation in India

Nikhil_cric

4 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

... as a plant biochemist, I have the urge to correct folks who say "I don't eat animals because I don't like to take lives" ... or in your post using "dead beings" to include only animals :-).  Nervous system or not, pain-response or not, sentience or not ... plants are living beings (as are bacteria, mushrooms etc.).  That is not arguable.  

An easy way for vegetarians to describe what they eat is to suggest that they do not eat what walks/swims/etc ... 

14 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

... as a plant biochemist, I have the urge to correct folks who say "I don't eat animals because I don't like to take lives" ... or in your post using "dead beings" to include only animals :-).  Nervous system or not, pain-response or not, sentience or not ... plants are living beings (as are bacteria, mushrooms etc.).  That is not arguable.  

Preaching to choir. Never said plant are not living. Just that, can't cook non-veg. I have ordered non-veg for people to eat in my house. 

On 7/2/2021 at 9:45 PM, beetle said:

Same here...vegetarian who cooks a lot of non veg.

awww... things one does for love :icflove: 

I'm a non vegetarian who rarely barely cooks. Mainly pasta.

Not related to this thread, but nonetheless:

After my elder sister's rishta was fixed, her husband to be and family were to come over to our place for an informal dinner. My sister had some basic idea about cooking. I hadn't the foggiest. My mom went into this crazy over drive and taught me to cook phulkas. My dad was against the idea from the beginning. He knew that I was a bum and just calling for stuff would be a good idea. But my mom thought its very nice to have the daughters cook :rolleyes:.  

So my mom was busy sharing her wisdom with the guests and not supervising my craft in the kitchen. The phulkas turned out to be, well, not so great. My sister's father in law had a bite. And said: I like it. Can I have some more papad.

It was a phulka :(( IT WAS PHULKA.

:broken_heart:

In retrospect, my mother calls it her second worst idea till date. Worst idea being: having me. :p: She says this in jest, obviously. Or so I like to think.

On 7/2/2021 at 8:58 PM, BacktoCricaddict said:

This chart was most interesting.  84% of Muslims would be willing to accept a Hindu as a neighbor, whereas only 64% Hindus would accept a Muslim as a neighbor.  

And 27% of Hindus would not accept a Jain as a neighbor?  That seems very surprising.  Most of us would not even be able to recognize someone as a Jain unless they told us or had "Jain" in their last name.  If a Priyesh Shah moved in next door to me, how the heck would I know if he was a Hindu or Jain?

Substantial minorities would not accept followers of other religions as neighbors

The Christians take "Love thy neighbour" quite seriously.

They have, comparatively, the least hang ups over having people from other religions as neighbours.

6 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

This should be the rule pan India

Why?

What if there in an existing abattoir, in Kerala, for example, that is 3 kms away from a mandir?

What happens then? 

Could this kind of a ruling set a precedent of the kind we don't want? What if some start litigating using this as a precedent and ask for no idols in a 5km radius from a mosque? 

Edited by Mariyam

37 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Why?

What if there in an existing abattoir, in Kerala, for example, that is 3 kms away from a mandir?

What happens then? 

Could this kind of a ruling set a precedent of the kind we don't want? What if some start litigating using this as a precedent and ask for no idols in a 5km radius from a mosque? 

The whole no beef rule is a beat up. 

How can you eat one type of meat and preach others on not eating another type of meat? Never quite grasped the sky high levels of hypocrisy. 

9 minutes ago, EnterTheVoid said:

The whole no beef rule is a beat up. 

How can you eat one type of meat and preach others on not eating another type of meat? Never quite grasped the sky high levels of hypocrisy. 

Only because you eat beef doesn't make it the right thing to do. Its your choice to eat whatever but don't whine about our customs that has stood the test of time. I did that too in the past but that is something I'm not proud of. I don't see you arguing with a Muslim about pork eating and drinking because if you do, you'll be put in your place immediately. If there is something that is worthy of praise in their religion, it is that they don't allow any loopholes in their way of conduct. Some things are good to eat and drink and others are prohibited in Islam. Our religion also used to be like that until the recent past.

2 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Why?

What happens then? 

First of all, this is a false equivalence. Mosques are not inherent to Islamic religion. Muslims can pray wherever they want. We have seen people doing namaz in trains and airplanes as well. Second, such rules are already implemented in Islamic countries where no other places of worship are allowed. Now , if Muslims start demanding to remove 'Buth' from everywhere as they can pray anywhere, it would be unreasonable. 

Now, people will ask  do we need to become a Hindu Taliban! Forget being Taliban, being a majority religion, we can't even ban slaughter houses in the same street as a temple, that much how it has come to. As any opposition to it will be termed communal, god forbid, Hindus to be called communal! pankhe pe mal gir jayega for Hindus and they will give up any fight. 

India is a civilizational state, where a lot of people still believe in the sanctity of their living gods in temples. Beef slaughtering in India has always been opposed, the last Sikh King - Ranjit SIngh even pronounced death sentence for  gauhatya. Gandhiji and COngress have also proposed banning cow slaughtering, and even recommended by our Constitution. There are cow slaughter bills in states to implement and allowed as per our Constitution. 

Beef is not banned, but Hindus considered as sacred, at least the beef slaughter houses need to be kept away from the same street as their places of worship.  That is not too much to ask. 

Edited by coffee_rules

1 hour ago, EnterTheVoid said:

Nice way of side stepping the hypocrisy.

If you wanted a response, you should have quoted me rather than do what you did. It seems like you are projecting when you said I'm side stepping. I asked you if you would ask a muslim about this "hypocrisy" of not eating pork. Why did you avoid that part. I know :lol:

44 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

First of all, this is a false equivalence. Mosques are not inherent to Islamic religion. Muslims can pray wherever they want. We have seen people doing namaz in trains and airplanes as well. Second, such rules are already implemented in Islamic countries where no other places of worship are allowed. Now , if Muslims start demanding to remove 'Buth' from everywhere as they can pray anywhere, it would be unreasonable. 

Now, people will ask  do we need to become a Hindu Taliban! Forget being Taliban, being a majority religion, we can't even ban slaughter houses in the same street as a temple, that much how it has come to. As any opposition to it will be termed communal, god forbid, Hindus to be called communal! pankhe pe mal gir jayega for Hindus and they will give up any fight. 

India is a civilizational state, where a lot of people still believe in the sanctity of their living gods in temples. Beef slaughtering in India has always been opposed, the last Sikh King - Ranjit SIngh even pronounced death sentence for  gauhatya. Gandhiji and COngress have also proposed banning cow slaughtering, and even recommended by our Constitution. There are cow slaughter bills in states to implement and allowed as per our Constitution. 

Beef is not banned, but Hindus considered as sacred, at least the beef slaughter houses need to be kept away from the same street as their places of worship.  That is not too much to ask. 

When the partition was done, we should have declared India as a nation that believes in God or just Republic of India as opposed to a secular nation. Secular in its true meaning is not about tolerance of religion. It simply means worldliness or atheistic. This way different religions can agree on certain terms that will not infringe on others

@coffee_rules

You are missing the point. Closure of an abattoir down the road from a mandir is understandable. I am with you on that. Muslims abattoir owners need to vacate and set shop further away. In good faith.

But in a 5km radius? Arbitrary number no? Is this even possible in highly packed cities?

Who compensates for the loss of income in such cases?

I am aware of the safeguards that the cows ( milch and draught cattle actually) have in the Indian constitution. There is no debate there.

Its not for you, or the SC to decide if a mosque holds any sanctity in Islam. My point was to do with precedent.

You are claiming that the presence of a beef eating locality ( that's funny terminology actually) within 5 kms of a mandir offends you. Fair.

Can this judgement be used the other way too? What if some people were similarly offended by idols in a 5km radius of a mosque? Surely, other have the right to take offence too. 

This kind of inane legislation creates more problems than it solves.

Edited by Mariyam

21 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

When the partition was done, we should have declared India as a nation that believes in God or just Republic of India as opposed to a secular nation. Secular in its true meaning is not about tolerance of religion. It simply means worldliness or atheistic. This way different religions can agree on certain terms that will not infringe on others

When the constitution was drafted and tabled in 1948, PM Nehru insisted that the word secular be dropped from the preamble, much to the surprise of Dr Ambedkar and the others.. It was Indira Gandhi who had it added to the preamble during the emergency .

24 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

@coffee_rules

You are missing the point. Closure of an abattoir down the road from a mandir is understandable. I am with you on that. Muslims abattoir owners need to vacate and set shop further away. In good faith.

But in a 5km radius? Arbitrary number no? Is this even possible in highly packed cities?

Who compensates for the loss of income in such cases?

I am aware of the constitutional safe guards that the cows ( milch and draught cattle actually) have in the Indian constitution. There is no debate there.

Its not for you, or the SC to decide if a mosque holds any sanctity in Islam. My point was to do with precedent.

You are claiming that the presence of a beef eating locality ( that's funny terminology actually) within 5 kms of a mandir offends you. Fair.

Can this judgement be used the other way too? What if some people were similarly offended by idols in a 5km radius of a mosque? Surely, other have the right to take offence too. 

This kind of inane legislation creates more problems than it solves.

Fully agree. 

May sound "tough" on the internet but rhese rules are just not enforceable.

Not to mention the scope for blatant misuse.