Prithvi Shaw, Suryakumar Yadav and Jayant Yadav set to join Indian team in England ahead of the Test series. Likely to fly in 2-3 days.

A few questions after going through the posts in this thread.

1)   Deepak Chahar has a bowling average of 35.10 in First Class Cricket .. after playing all of 45 FC matches. So, it is not an issue of small sample size. Why should he be even considered for test matches. ??

A high bowling average in FC often points to inability to sustain intensity if a pacer has to bowl 10+ overs a day.

2)   SKY averages 44 in FC and has 5300+ runs from 77 matches. His game is reasonably compact. The fact that he is good at 360 deg game does not necessarily mean that he is a bad 5 day match batsman 

In fact, we may need someone who can score quickly and mess with the line and length of the English swing bowlers. 

I am looking forward to SKY batting in test matches.  

Edited by express bowling
1 minute ago, express bowling said:

1)   Deepak Chahar has a bowling average of 35.10 in First Class Cricket .. after playing all of 45 FC matches. So, it is not an issue of small sample size. Why should he be even considered for test matches. ??

2)   SKY averages 44 in FC and has 5300+ runs from 77 matches. His game is reasonably compact. The fact that he is good at 360 deg game does not necessarily mean that he is a bad 5 day match batsman 

In fact, we may need someone who can score quickly and mess with the line and length of the English swing bowlers. 

Agree about Chahar

SKY is not the worst choice but I feel his technique will be exposed in England.

We could have gone for Shankar who also offered bowling.

3 minutes ago, express bowling said:

A high bowling average in FC often points to inability to sustain intensity if a pacer has to bowl 10+ overs a day.

Yep sending a inexperienced Ranji rookie would not be sensible at all.  I fail to see promising Middle order bats in Ranji or domestics.  SKY is best option & safer one as well.  May or may not work but not bad at all. 

No India A cricket over last 2 years has led to massive decline in batting reserves.  Bowling resources In comparison are in better shape. 

6 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

In fact, we may need someone who can score quickly and mess with the line and length of

exactly. Jos Buttler cemented his place doing the same

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

He averages 45 in first class. He is no scrub. He is good.

I see.   Thanks for the info.    Anyway, I hope our TM doesn't screw our chances in T20 series in SL by forcing him to leave it midway.   SKY is our main player for t20.    Every intl series is imp.   Be it SL or Eng.       

27 minutes ago, Lord said:

SKY is not the worst choice but I feel his technique will be exposed in England.

We could have gone for Shankar who also offered bowling.

I have always supported Shankar as a batting option in SENA. He has good enough technique and can be the 4th seamer if conditions are really swing friendly.

But separately speaking ... seeing our technical stalwarts fail after grafting for 20 odd runs whenever the ball moves ... I want more Pant type mavericks even in tests.

Stroke players with solid FC numbers and experience maybe the answer to our batting failures in SENA.

1 hour ago, neel roy said:

I meant he hasnt plsyed 5 day matches. You need certain fitness levels. He has a very bad injury record since he started playing. 

I assume the yoyo test ..he would have cleared. I have played 45 over matches ..it's very tough..I agree.

5 day matches are very very tough but I hear they have cold n ice bath techniques that take away pain immediately..so I feel he is young n considered as shardul"s backup.

Just now, vishalvirsingh said:

I assume the yoyo test ..he would have cleared. I have played 45 over matches ..it's very tough..I agree.

5 day matches are very very tough but I hear they have cold n ice bath techniques that take away pain immediately..so I feel he is young n considered as shardul"s backup.

When he started with 8/10 he was looked upon as the next Bhuvi. But his FC record is not that good. He faltered a bit due to injuries. Actually we must thank CSK for showing faith in him. He has overcome his troublesome injury phase. Who knows maybe one day if he starts playing regular fc matches he will be in line for test debut. 

51 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I look or judge a cricketer very differently, frankly i dnt look much into numbers ...its actually whats good that i observe and how many problem. 

I hve no problem with 360 deg or attacking game, i love someone like a pant or KL in test but doesnt mean that i feel a kishen or sky will be successful coz i see a lot of issues in their basic game ....a lot.

Here is SKY top knock from domestic, now its purely on what u observe and it can be subjective. Yes this is 5 yrs back and he wud have made some adjusments but his basic game is same and adjustments are made for white ball. Also these guys havent played red ball domestic post pandemic 

But lets see his current setup

Now u see the innings and observe what u feel, dont look at score coz any opposition when they sit to plan will see that one ball that causes discomfort and then build a plan on it. Do you see any issue coz i do and quite a few. This can be subjective and obviously we dont know the batsman counter plan, for eg with someone like dhoni he started moving around the pitch a lot which gave him few good knocks overseas. 

But what i see of him, even if he had avg 75, after seeing signs here i wudnt have been too confident. 

P

39 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

I look or judge a cricketer very differently, frankly i dnt look much into numbers ...its actually whats good that i observe and how many problem. 

I hve no problem with 360 deg or attacking game, i love someone like a pant or KL in test but doesnt mean that i feel a kishen or sky will be successful coz i see a lot of issues in their basic game ....a lot.

Here is SKY top knock from domestic, now its purely on what u observe and it can be subjective. Yes this is 5 yrs back and he wud have made some adjusments but his basic game is same and adjustments are made for white ball. Also these guys havent played red ball domestic post pandemic 

But lets see his current setup

Now u see the innings and observe what u feel, dont look at score coz any opposition when they sit to plan will see that one ball that causes discomfort and then build a plan on it. Do you see any issue coz i do and quite a few. This can be subjective and obviously we dont know the batsman counter plan, for eg with someone like dhoni he started moving around the pitch a lot which gave him few good knocks overseas. 

But what i see of him, even if he had avg 75, after seeing signs here i wudnt have been too confident. 

1)    I don't consider FC numbers to be the be all and end all. In fact, far from it.

.... I first look at players who I feel will succeed in international cricket for the format.

.... Then I look at their domestic cricket stats for the relevant format.

The 2nd part is important because if someone cannot do well against ordinary players is highly unlikely to do so against super players.

2)    Every batsman has issues. Pujara, Rahane and Kohli do too.

SKY too has issues. But I want to see how he fares in tests because he is in great touch and seems to have the temperament.

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

2)    Every batsman has issues. Pujara, Rahane and Kohli do too.

SKY too has issues. But I want to see how he fares in tests because he is in great touch and seems to have the temperament.

yes everyone do, but i specifically said many issue

With pujara it has impacted his overseas record- but him having the advantage of playing close to the body has worked with this format with big time as well

Rahane issue against spin has affected his home record, overseas he just has developed a bad habbit of loose shots but his basic game was pretty good

Kohli is no ordinary batsman, he belongs to a league of player who take their game to next level every time

But with SKY - i see many issue be it ball coming in or out, he ll be a big candidate of LBW 

Its not that sehwag didnt have issue but his mindset was such an advantage that even his peers like dhoni n yuvi never found similar success in test despite being attacking batsman. Sehwag had far more cleared mindset then anyone i have seen

So incase of sehwag n pujara their one strong point was so strong that it overcame all their issues.

Few issues  are fine and everyone has it but once its far to many then ur one strength has to be super strong to make that difference. 

It wud have been ok if their wasnt an option avl but ahead of shankar n panchal whom we actually took on pretty much all A tours in last few yrs this is baffling selection. 

2 hours ago, Frustrated said:

I see.   Thanks for the info.    Anyway, I hope our TM doesn't screw our chances in T20 series in SL by forcing him to leave it midway.   SKY is our main player for t20.    Every intl series is imp.   Be it SL or Eng.       

thats fair. 

3 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Now Paddikal has an awful technique as a red ball opener.  But I think TM wants dashers after dashers.  

Either boom boom or bust.  Now our safe n defensive batting has failed massively in England over the years.   Our players simply don't have the technique to last long there. 

They lose concentration early &,  inns building is also missing as even our seniors don't play enough domestic or County cricket. 

I think going ultra aggressive won't be a bad move. 

actually thats an interesting take. That totally explains our lack of ability vs spin. we dont quite get enough practice in ranji anymore and neither do we send players overseas to play counties. Our A team players do well and adapt easily for a reason. why? they practice vs opponents in their conditions hence siraj and co were able to make an impact immediately.