Ishan Porel: First Impression

deepdynamo

On first glance, 1/39 (4) looks unflattering but he did bowl better than those figure suggests. He hurried Evin lewis and got Samson with extra bounce.

I believe he is the next in line for India. T20 may not be his best format but he gets bounce from length and bowls at around 138kph. Huge potential in ODI & Tests.

Edited by deepdynamo

35 minutes ago, deepdynamo said:

On first glance, 1/39 (4) looks unflattering but he did bowl better than those figure suggests. He hurried Evin lewis and got Samson with extra bounce.

I believe he is the next in line for India. T20 may not be his best format but he gets bounce from length and bowls at around 138kph. Huge potential in ODI & Tests.

Naah, that's his top speed. Average range is 130-132 kmph. If he can get upto 135-136, with his ability to persistently bowl a good line and length and extract bounce and seam movement, can be a handy bowler for the longer format.

Still only 23, has got some more time to develop his game. 

He has a good run-up but when he lands on the crease, his right shoulder is pointing towards first slip while his backfoot is going towards fine leg. Coordination of upper and lower half is completely messed up. Just one clue regarding his loading can transform his bowling and that is when he loads up his right shoulder should be pointing towards fine leg.

He is too open for my liking. Right shoulder needs to close and than rotate a bit, more semi front on then front on. His back leg is in semi front on position. Closing his right shoulder will help him get some false upper body rotation. Rotation is one of the most important aspect to generate pace.

Screenshot_2021-09-22-11-17-22-37.jpg

Screenshot_2021-09-22-11-17-55-87.jpg

Edited by rkt.india

Here is in comparison Jofra Archer. Ishan is a bit like Jofra in his approach and type of bowler but look at the difference between the two. Look at the right shoulder of Jofra. Upper body rotates which gives Jofra elastic force. Both have backfoot pointing towards fine leg.  

PS: Fine leg se yaad aaya where is ICF's Fine leg? Haven't seen her on ICF in a long time.

Screenshot_2021-09-22-11-27-06-97.jpg

Screenshot_2021-09-22-11-25-46-64.jpg

7 minutes ago, deepdynamo said:

Don't know about technical details but I like the look of him. Just somehow feel he will make it big.

Bumrah is also unorthodox so maybe Porel has his own unique style.

There is a difference between unorthodox and technically flawed. Malinga also was unorthodox but both have had good strong positions at the crease. Porel is soft.

56 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

So sideon or semi sideon /front on upper body  with rotation is better for pace? didn't you say semi sideon or sideon backfoot makes shoulder hip separation harder,how does that relate here.

what I am trying to say is ,you would prefer closing the upper body to opening the lower body ,not just because lower body is harder to change but for pace.

And what is false rotation?

His backfoot is midway but upper body is open. Needs his right shoulder to open a bit, not too much, to allow trunk rotation. In current position, he falls towards the left side 

Side on makes hip shoulder separation difficult. Semi side on or semi front are fine. Probably the best. 

False rotation is when lower body is going straight but upper goes backwards. Whole body doesn't rotate.  It helps in hip shoulder separation.

This is false rotation. Right leg is going forward, right shoulder is pointing backwards.

And yes, opening the lower body isn't advisable if it's not natural. Changing lower body is least advisable as that's your base, ingrained in you naturally. Changing upper body position is easier. I would say even if someone has open lower body, upper body can still be closed to some extent, not like side on bowlers but some degree for pivot and false rotation.

Screenshot_2021-09-22-14-01-18-18.jpg

Edited by rkt.india

4 hours ago, MultiB48 said:

So sideon or semi sideon /front on upper body  with rotation is better for pace? didn't you say semi sideon or sideon backfoot makes shoulder hip separation harder,how does that relate here.

what I am trying to say is ,you would prefer closing the upper body to opening the lower body ,not just because lower body is harder to change but for pace.

And what is false rotation?

Don't take RKT seriously he will throw in some side on semi side on bs and give verdict based on how the bowlers speed gun receding reads and how many wickets he takes in that game lol.. He will change what is good and bad per verdict based on that as well. 

14 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Don't take RKT seriously he will throw in some side on semi side on bs and give verdict based on how the bowlers speed gun receding reads and how many wickets he takes in that game lol.. He will change what is good and bad per verdict based on that as well. 

I don't say anything based on speed guns or wicket column. All my explanations are based on fast bowling biomechanics and technical aspects.

For any right arm fast bowler whether front on, semi or side on, loading arm should always be on the outside of his right eye while in his case, his bowling arm on loading goes across his right eye. This is #1 thing any fast bowler needs to watch for. Loading of the bowling arm shouldn't go across the right eye. These are minute details very few coaches will tell you.

Screenshot_2021-09-22-18-14-31-18.jpg

Edited by rkt.india

6 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

Comeon people a bit harsh on him, he loves fast bowling and is quite well informed following pont and co over the years ,besides there aren't many to talk to when it comes to fast bowling ,it's too niche.

I am taking coaching certification. Has future plans to start an academy.