Umran Malik - 150 kph Indian pace sensation

Texan

52 minutes ago, express bowling said:

True.

In the video below, we see Waqar bowling at Melbourne in 1989, when Waqar was at his quickest.  Supposedly express pacer bowling on a quick bouncy pitch.

Does he look that quick even on a typical Australian pitch !  Looks sharpish, that's about it 

Ball by ball videos are the real eye openers. A collection of the best deliveries can make even Bhuvi seem like Marshall.

And you have also seen even Dale Steyn trundling at 130-135 in tests with new ball to get swing. Random deliveries from different matches are much to gauge a bowlers than just few overs from a single game. Waqar was someone who bowled faster with old ball. You can clearly see his just bowling within himself in this video.

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Well, I have watched Srinath bowl from 1991 till he retired. Probably watched more than 90 % of the overs that he had bowled in international cricket.

And he was very quick between 1994 and early 1997, till his rotator cuff injury. And he was quick in 1999 too, when he bowled the 2nd fastest ball of WC 1999 at 149.6 kph.

During the 1996-97 season, there were reports of him bowling 2 deliveries at 157 kph and 156 kph and I witnessed the reports real time.

The reference of the 156 kph ball is seen in an Espncricinfo article too.

"  it has been brought to my attention on numerous occasions that Srinath pipped them both with one particular delivery measured at 156kph "

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espncricinfo.com/story/javagal-srinath-one-in-a-billion-111878%3fplatform=amp

P.S -- Ball by ball speeds have been regularly shown on TV from WC 1999. So,  reports were all that people had till 1998, except for a few series here and there, including some series in Sharjah, when speeds were shown in the early and mid 1990s, usually in the form of Fastest Speeds and Average Speeds on TV.

Srinath was quick in 1992 on Aus tour as played ODIs there.

42 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Waqar only bowled fast till 95. After his back injury he slowed down a lot. He was one of the most fearsome bowler between 90-95.

He doesn't look faster than shami let alone bumrsh tbh. Although shami himself is fast when he wants to be. 

He consistently bowled 140-145 in England and new zeland not too long ago. 

At his best bunrah was quicker in 2017-2019. 

28 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

And you have also seen even Dale Steyn trundling at 130-135 in tests with new ball to get swing. Random deliveries from different matches are much to gauge a bowlers than just few overs from a single game. Waqar was someone who bowled faster with old ball. You can clearly see his just bowling within himself in this video.

Posts a video, asks to check a particular delivery and then says you can't gauge speed of a bowler with just one delivery or a spell in a single match!:phehe:

36 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Srinath was quick in 1992 on Aus tour as played ODIs there.

During 1991 to 1993, Srinath was 135 to 145 k type pacer.

In the 1994 to early 1997 period, he bowled 145 k+  type speeds often enough with peak speeds well into the 150s on rare occasions.

During late 1997 and in 1998, he was trundling after his injury.

Again bowled close to 150 k in 1999.

Was Fast-Medium in his last 3 years or so.

You can have Waqar or even claim that abbas is quicker than bumrh and shami. But let's make one thing clear. Best ever bowlers from Asia are bumrah wasim and shami. Let's just make that clear yea. India current attack from 2015-2021 is the GOAT Asian pace attack. 

Pakistan can take the phastest attack from Asia award although, it's questionable tbh even on that front apart from shoaib. 

We have been carrying  passengers for the past 4 years. Only recently we have added Gill, sundar along with rohit to make our batting stronger. Rahane was always consistent. Pujara is not the same. Same as kohli. 

Edited by Jay
52 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

I am not saying that Waqar never bowled faster spells than this. I think he hit 150 k on odd occasions too till 1994.

But he was never close to Shoaib or Lee kind of speeds, as some people claim 

Edited by express bowling
1 hour ago, speedheat said:

The problem here is that gauging a speed of the ball is nearly impossible unless a proper Speedgun is being used. Regardless of how experienced you are as a viewer. Waquar's speed will either remain a mystery or a myth.
Without a speed gun, I'm pretty sure these idiots would have referred even m Asif  as an express bowler.

One can never be sure of exact speeds without measuring methods being adopted.

But an express spell becomes aparent to the naked eye too. 

I don't think that a pacer can clock 150 k+ regularly and look medium-fast to the naked eye. 

Edited by express bowling
5 minutes ago, Jay said:

You can have Waqar or even claim that abbas is quicker than bumrh and shami. But let's make one thing clear. Best ever bowlers from Asia are bumrah wasim and shami. Let's just make that clear yea. India current attack from 2015-2021 is the GOAT Asian pace attack. 

Pakistan can take the phastest attack from Asia award although, it's questionable tbh even on that front apart from shoaib. 

We have been carrying  passengers for the past 4 years. Only recently we have added Gill, sundar along with rohit to make our batting stronger. Rahane was always consistent. Pujara is not the same. Same as kohli. 

All we need is majority of the posters to start saying Waqar was significantly quicker than any other bowler in the 90s. Immediately @rkt.india will start sharing videos showing Waqar to be a 85 mph bowler. That's how he rolls

1 hour ago, prudent_kreeda said:

Things to be taken into account while evaluating Waqar - 

1. He mostly bowled very full pitched deliveries and full pitched deliveries will  measure atleast 4-5 KM faster than a good length ball. 

2. His bowling looks fantastic on view due to the kind of swing he got in the air on those full pitched deliveries. The kind of swing pakistani bowlers got during 80s  was just insane and no one get that kind of swing unless ball is made rough beyond normal. One just needs to watch swing Imran got when india toured PAK  i think in 82.83 .

3. Batsmen were poor while negotiating yorkers then compared to these days .

In todays' world Waqar would be nothing special and his full deliveries without that insane swing would be scored off easily . Secondly if Waqar had some special ability to swing ball like crazy , as a coach he should have made pak bolwers to do the same when he was their coach. 

Wasim Akram was genuinely skillful and special .

Prudent-bhai .... very good points as usual.

13 hours ago, express bowling said:

True.

In the video below, we see Waqar bowling at Melbourne in 1989, when Waqar was at his quickest.  Supposedly express pacer bowling on a quick bouncy pitch.

Does he look that quick even on a typical Australian pitch !  Looks sharpish, that's about it 

Ball by ball videos are the real eye openers. A collection of the best deliveries can make even Bhuvi seem like Marshall.

That is not waqar at his peak, infact it was his first year in international cricket, bowling in australia for the first time around would have most bowlers drooping their pace slightly to get some consistency in hitting the right lengths. Waqar from 1992-96 was at his peak, he would bulldoze teams at will, quick arm action, generated pace in the air and of the pitch, speed guns were used in 2000 CB series, the fastest obviously was akthar, the second quickest intact was agarkar, srinath was around the same pace as razzaq, waqar was still hitting 136-140 kph on the SA tour of 2002.

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

Waqar only bowled fast till 95.

Prove it! Show me a video of him clocking 145+kph at least three balls on trot before 1995, or those claims are false. Even I can claim that Ankola was 160kph bowler before his injuries.

Waquar may have the speed of  Umar gull (140+ km/h), but not as fast as folks here make him appear.

Edited by speedheat
31 minutes ago, Jay said:

Bumrah barely has played any tests in Asia..  So no point in including him.  Wasim is in different league in my view. 

Shami Umesh probably have a stronger case to be among best pacers in Asian conditions.  Umesh especially has always been a 90 mph bowler since beginning. 

Shami when arrived in 2012 was mid 130ish..  He became quicker after a while. 

10 minutes ago, express bowling said:

One can never be sure of exact speeds without measuring methods being adopted.

But an express spell becomes aparent to the naked eye too. 

I don't think that a pacer can clock 150 k+ regularly and look medium-fast to the naked eye. 

There have been pacers who appeared to be going 90 mph or more to the naked eye, yet proved to be a fast medium when tested with speed guns.

Niel Werner, a Kiwi pacer, is one such example.

4 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Bumrah barely has played any tests in Asia..  So no point in including him.  Wasim is in different league in my view. 

Shami Umesh probably have a stronger case to be among best pacers in Asian conditions.  Umesh especially has always been a 90 mph bowler since beginning. 

Shami when arrived in 2012 was mid 130ish..  He became quicker after a while. 

In terms of ability I put all 3 above anyone not named wasim. 

26 minutes ago, Mesky99 said:

That is not waqar at his peak, infact it was his first year in international cricket, bowling in australia for the first time around would have most bowlers drooping their pace slightly to get some consistency in hitting the right lengths. Waqar from 1992-96 was at his peak, he would bulldoze teams at will, quick arm action, generated pace in the air and of the pitch, speed guns were used in 2000 CB series, the fastest obviously was akthar, the second quickest intact was agarkar, srinath was around the same pace as razzaq, waqar was still hitting 136-140 kph on the SA tour of 2002.

So his decline coincided with more TV cameras being used for broadcast!

Look he was a great bowler but all the talk about his speed are exaggerated. It's not a mere coincidence that there isn't a single video footage of Waqar bowling 150 kmph- (or even 145 kmph+), speed guns have been in use since 1994.

Show me at least three balls where he's hitting speeds of 90+ mph, or quit making things up.
 I have seen a  29-year-old wacquar trundling around at 129 kph in England, which is considered a medium pace.

As I said..batsmen that faced him must be making it up when they talk about how quick he was then. Leave it to the experts here.
11 minutes ago, cric_fan said:

As I said..batsmen that faced him must be making it up when they talk about how quick he was then. Leave it to the experts here.

I'll take such unsubstantiated claims with a grain of salt.
Those experts are not supercomputers to precisely evaluate the speed of the ball. They may have mistook  bounce of the ball for speed, or a ball that jabs back sharply also appears to be fast when viewed from the front.