Ponting tears Root apart

goose

Just you know Ponting didn't really have to win a lot of series to criticize Root. Did we all win anything ? We do criticize right? Just as a cricket fan he doesn't have to satisfy any criteria to call Root out. I remember Dhoni packing an 8-1 field for Ponting's side and he completely choked Australia. Ponting has no answer. If i am right they made 166 runs in the entire day's play.  Dhoni vs Ponting  at home  4 out of 4 wins.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/australia-choked-by-8-1-field-377450

i am just repeating what everybody knows.... The Aussies always target the opposite team captain. If they can take out and get in the mind of the captain - it is almost always all over. Rarely is there a performer so strong - like Hadlee - who is really above the team captain. With English teams if you bully people like Mike Denness or Atherton or Root then strategy works well. Sometimes it does not but then you need a combo like Jardine/Larwood or Illingworth/Snow. Need to be determined and mean and "Good" to win there. I don't think Waqar/Wasim ever did win there. At least Imran/Sarfraz drew in 1976.

I sometimes think England likes to lose to Australia. I mean imagine making Denness captain in 1974 which meant Geoff Boycott would not play and then leave out John Snow? Snow would have answered Lillee and Thomson much better than Willis and with Boycott it would not have necessarily been a easy win for Aus.

One of the reasons we did well in Aus this time is that Rahane is so underwhelming a performer these days that even after they dealt with him after MCG.... it did not matter as the team did not depend on him much.

2 hours ago, AKane said:

I sometimes think England likes to lose to Australia. I mean imagine making Denness captain in 1974 which meant Geoff Boycott would not play and then leave out John Snow? Snow would have answered Lillee and Thomson much better than Willis and with Boycott it would not have necessarily been a easy win for Aus.

Also another glaring example is when Australia had the pace they would say 

Ashes to Ashes

dust to dust

If Lillee don't get you

Thommo must

and England is like "Wow - how tough are those Aussies!!!!"

In 1932 when Jardine and Larwood with bodyline and legside field (TOTALLY  legal at that time) made Bradman look ordinary in Australia and won the series...Australia threw a tantrum.

"How dare you treat our dear boy Bradman like that.... waaah! You nasty people. Waaah!" - Talk about whining and crying. 

However England accomodated and consoled them by ditching both Jardine and Larwood. Figures.....

QED.

You should never take Criticism from someone whom you would never go to take an advice from.

Ponting is playing his own game, and I dont think Root would want to participate

England are bruised, and they need to dig deep within themselves to draw their own energies to compete with the aussies

Any new additions to the 11 will also face the same problem, so I guess they will have to it themselves

People like Root , Stokes and Buttler should do what they know they can and the rest will rally around them

7 hours ago, sage said:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/dec/23/joe-root-confident-he-can-bang-out-hundred-england-look-to-hit-back-ashes-third-test-melbourne

Joe Root confident he can ‘bang out’ a hundred as England look to hit back

Captain says batting inquest will spark response from team

Improve fielding too.... not sure about this but some video on cricinfo the two guys talking mentioned 9 of 22 catches had been put down by England. To make matters worse Aus held on to all of theirs.