Can Vihari and Shreyas be the long term replacements for Pujara and Rahane for Indian test team

I think so. They certainly have the potential.

Vihari did not light up both the matches but made steady contributions.
Shreyas has certainly proved his credentials in the second test match. Although his SENA performances need to be attested.

We have Gill on the bench too to play at number 3 position.

All in all it is good news. The big shoes of Pujara and Rahane are very hard to fill in given their performances at home and away respectively for team India.

All we can do is wish them good luck with the same.

Need to adopt horses for courses strategy and pick specific teams for Asian and Overseas conditions. Don't know why they use that for only the bowlers but maintain the same top6 for all conditions.. 

Someone like an Iyer can be a match winner in Asia but Gill/Sundar could be more vital in "foreign" conditions. And i don't get what we can get by picking Vihari over Gill/Panchal/Shaw on home soil. Gill should always be picked over Vihari anywhere in the world. Latter is a very good backup middle order option to have but he offers nothing more than that.

We need to build a team for the 2023-25 WTC cycle as both Rohit and Kohli will be gone for good by end of next year. And I'm hearing Jadeja is contemplating on giving up on red ball cricket pretty soon. 

3 minutes ago, Norman said:

Need to adopt horses for courses strategy and pick specific teams for Asian and Overseas conditions. Don't know why they use that for only the bowlers but maintain the same top6 for all conditions.. 

Someone like an Iyer can be a match winner in Asia but Gill/Sundar could be more vital in "foreign" conditions. And i don't get what we can get by picking Vihari over Gill/Panchal/Shaw on home soil. Gill should always be picked over Vihari anywhere in the world. Latter is a very good backup middle order option to have but he offers nothing more than that.

We need to build a team for the 2023-25 WTC cycle as both Rohit and Kohli will be gone for good by end of next year. And I'm hearing Jadeja is contemplating on giving up on red ball cricket pretty soon. 

that would be a big loss.

2 minutes ago, Norman said:

can't have two sets of batsmen for home/away.Its unfair.

The ones likely to do well away should be persisted at home too.

12 minutes ago, Norman said:

Gill will eventually become a lynchpin for us. But it is totally up to these youngsters to make the most of their chances. 

11 minutes ago, Lord said:

not with Axar already there now. Ashwin will be much harder to replace and hes nearing his end too.

I believe jaddu will be the bigger loss. of ashwin-axar-jaddu, he is the only one who can genuinely bat in top 6 or top 7. with him gone, we will not only lose a steady spinner in SENA but also a vital fulcrum in lower order. if anything, ashwin and axar are closer to being like-for-like swaps even though axar's bowling style is that of jaddu. both ash and axar are devastating in home conditions and can bat at 8. I would not really trust either to bat at 7.

3 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I believe jaddu will be the bigger loss. of ashwin-axar-jaddu, he is the only one who can genuinely bat in top 6 or top 7. with him gone, we will not only lose a steady spinner in SENA but also a vital fulcrum in lower order. if anything, ashwin and axar are closer to being like-for-like swaps even though axar's bowling style is that of jaddu. both ash and axar are devastating in home conditions and can bat at 8. I would not really trust either to bat at 7.

Sundar will end at no. 7 unless a pace AR steps us. Thakur if he improves batting a bit has a chance 

32 minutes ago, Vijy said:

that would be a big loss.

Huge actually... And ironically, it's overseas where we will miss him the most. Him at 7 and Thakur at 8 is the most perfect lower order combo we ever had in SENA. 

Unless Sundar develops his red ball bowling, that no.7 spot will remain a big hole post Jadeja. 

26 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Gill will eventually become a lynchpin for us. But it is totally up to these youngsters to make the most of their chances. 

A bit worried about his conversion rate at this point. He should have had at least 2 Test hundreds by now. Hopefully he works on that. 

39 minutes ago, Lord said:

The ones likely to do well away should be persisted at home too

In an ideal world yes that is a useful strategy but we will often have players who are great at playing pace and swing but suck at spin. Like Rahane in the first half of his career. 

Yes one could say we can afford to have one or even two guys like that on home soil because others will cover up for them but there will come a time where you won't have that luxury. Right now, we can afford to have a weaker batting lineup at home (which we actually do right now) as our bowling attack is just way too good but what about when Ash-Jad-Shami are gone? Margin of error decreases dramatically for the batting order and then we'll be ruing over why we didn't develop a strong top 6 against spin bowling. 

10 minutes ago, Norman said:

In an ideal world yes that is a useful strategy but we will often have players who are great at playing pace and swing but suck at spin. Like Rahane in the first half of his career. 

Yes one could say we can afford to have one or even two guys like that on home soil because others will cover up for them but there will come a time where you won't have that luxury. Right now, we can afford to have a weaker batting lineup at home (which we actually do right now) as our bowling attack is just way too good but what about when Ash-Jad-Shami are gone? Margin of error decreases dramatically for the batting order and then we'll be ruing over why we didn't develop a strong top 6 against spin bowling. 

I think it's good to have horses for courses. With that said, giving youngsters some occasional tests against weaker teams at home is an excellent way to induct them into test cricket. we should find a balance that ensures the best results while also paving the way for introduction of youngsters

10 minutes ago, Norman said:

Rahane was decent at home too in first part of his career till 2016 end.

Having home/away bats creates lot of uncertainty. Will you drop a guy who had a great home series for someone else who is tipped to be better overseas?Like say Shreyas for Gill/Sundar, Its a tough decision.