Below average rating for 2nd test pitch v SL

ICC Cricket: ICC delivers verdict on Bangalore pitch from India-Sri Lanka Test.
https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/2542945

International Cricket Council (ICC) has delivered its verdict on the pitch at Chinnaswamy Stadium used for the pink-ball Test between India and Sri Lanka.

The pitch received a below-average rating in the report submitted by ICC Match Referee for the game, Javagal Srinath. As a result, the venue will receive one demerit under the ICC Pitch and Outfield Monitoring Process.

In the report, Srinath said: “The pitch offered a lot of turn on the first day itself and though it improved with every session, in my view, it was not an even contest between bat and ball.”

According to the revised ICC Pitch and Outfield Monitoring Process, venues whose pitches are rated below average by match referees receive one demerit point, while three and five demerit points are awarded to venues whose pitches are marked as poor and unfit respectively. Demerit points remain active for a rolling five-year period and if it accumulates five demerit points or more, it is suspended from hosting any international cricket for a period of 12 months.

Bowlers dominated proceedings on the first day of the Test, with a total of 16 wickets falling on the opening day, nine of which were picked up by the spinners. At the end of the day, Sri Lanka were 86/6 after bowling India out for 252.

They were eventually bowled out for 109 early on day two and were then set a target of 447. The visitors showed a better display in the final innings, with Dimuth Karunaratne leading the way with a century. However, they were bowled out for 208, losing the match by 238 runs.

With the win, India completed a 2-0 whitewash and jumped to No.4 in the World Test Championship Standings.

both the two tests in Pak were bore fests. Just because Oz got some (suspiciously effective) reverse swing in 1st Pak innings of 2nd test doesn't make the pitch a good one. I would rate them both poorly, especially the 'Pindi one.

With that said, my hot take is that I do not like to see tests finish in less than 3 days. Therefore, while I think Padosi pitches deserves harsher penalties, the rating for Bengaluru pitch was warranted. We need to stop producing effin bunsens all the time. let's prepare moderately turning pitches as much as possible (with some strategic exceptions). For instance, I really liked the ones we gave NZ in 2016-17.

Edited by Vijy
2 minutes ago, Vijy said:

both the two tests in Pak were bore fests. Just because Oz got some (suspiciously effective) reverse swing in 1st Pak innings of 2nd test doesn't make the pitch a good one. I would rate them both poorly, especially the 'Pindi one.

With that said, my hot take is that I do not like to see tests finish in less than 3 days. Therefore, while I think Padosi pitches deserves harsher penalties, the rating for Bengaluru pitch was warranted. We need to stop producing effin bunsens all the time. let's prepare moderately turning pitches. For instance, I really liked the ones we gave NZ in 2016-17.

Its not just the pitch at work in that test though - that pink ball seam looks like its bit more thicker and prominent, offering more grip to the bowlers.  Amplifying the misbehavior.   I suspect the curators are making the pitch more 'spin supportive' to offset the expected reduced grip due to extra layers of lacquer and color on the pink ball.  Its not an easy balance to strike.  In the past, there have been pink ball tests in UAE etc, where the spinners are rendered toothless and it becomes a bore fest except for the few minutes of swing if new ball overlaps twilight under lights. In ANUS countries, the curators make the outfield extra lush, and leave more grass on the playing surface, so that the pink ball doesn't lose color etc - what this does is effectively takes finger spin completely out of the game.  The ball doesn't grip much if at all, and then finger spin is rendered impotent.   We don't want that kind of pink ball test cricket in the subcontinent.  So the method of trying to ensure that spin stays relevant in pink ball tests is good.   But getting the balance right is tricky.  Its a combination of getting the right sort of pitch conditions, coupled with the right tweaking of the ball - lacquer, seam, etc.  Its a work in progress in India, as well as in ANUS countries.  Only difference is that when a pink ball test ends in less than 3 days in NZ, Aus or Eng, most media coverage chooses to focus on the "fantastic ambience" in the evening with packed crowds etc. 

18 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Its not just the pitch at work in that test though - that pink ball seam looks like its bit more thicker and prominent, offering more grip to the bowlers.  Amplifying the misbehavior.   I suspect the curators are making the pitch more 'spin supportive' to offset the expected reduced grip due to extra layers of lacquer and color on the pink ball.  Its not an easy balance to strike.  In the past, there have been pink ball tests in UAE etc, where the spinners are rendered toothless and it becomes a bore fest except for the few minutes of swing if new ball overlaps twilight under lights. In ANUS countries, the curators make the outfield extra lush, and leave more grass on the playing surface, so that the pink ball doesn't lose color etc - what this does is effectively takes finger spin completely out of the game.  The ball doesn't grip much if at all, and then finger spin is rendered impotent.   We don't want that kind of pink ball test cricket in the subcontinent.  So the method of trying to ensure that spin stays relevant in pink ball tests is good.   But getting the balance right is tricky.  Its a combination of getting the right sort of pitch conditions, coupled with the right tweaking of the ball - lacquer, seam, etc.  Its a work in progress in India, as well as in ANUS countries.  Only difference is that when a pink ball test ends in less than 3 days in NZ, Aus or Eng, most media coverage chooses to focus on the "fantastic ambience" in the evening with packed crowds etc. 

agreed. Pink ball tests are too much of a gimmick for me, although I see why they were invented.

However, some of my points were with regards to having bunsens in general, not just pink ball tests - the most recent home series vs. England was a very good example of that. I would like to see more balance returning to bat vs ball, although I recognise that this balance is harder for pink ball tests

Edited by Vijy
23 minutes ago, sandeep said:

But zendu would cry if India makes the Pink Ball more soon conducive to balance the effect of the ball. 

Anus can make their ball more swing friendly but india must never try to balance the natire of the ball. It's important for zendu and his ilk to worship the white masters. 

Edited by Jay
9 minutes ago, Vijy said:

agreed. Pink ball tests are too much of a gimmick for me, although I see why they were invented.

However, some of my points were with regards to having bunsens in general, not just pink ball tests - the most recent home series vs. England was a very good example of that. I would like to see more balance returning to bat vs ball, although I recognise that this balance is harder for pink ball tests

Outside of the Pink ball test vs England - where the ball just skidded way too much due to the extra lacquer making Axar Patel deadlier than a rattlesnake, the England pitches weren't super terrible.  

I'm not in favor of Pune Oz test minefields, but a turner isn't necessarily bad - and its more the fault of shyte-poor techniques in modern day batsmen's inability to play challenging spin than anything else.

5 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Outside of the Pink ball test vs England - where the ball just skidded way too much due to the extra lacquer making Axar Patel deadlier than a rattlesnake, the England pitches weren't super terrible.  

I'm not in favor of Pune Oz test minefields, but a turner isn't necessarily bad - and its more the fault of shyte-poor techniques in modern day batsmen's inability to play challenging spin than anything else.

In England our batsmen can't handle swing. On turners our batsmen barring lower order can't handle spin either. 

In India English batsmen are just hopeless so yes it's more to do with poor application. 

Poms need to stop whinging about pitches and focus on playing the game. 

20 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I'd rather play Axar on a bunsen than a rattlesnake; the latter are nasty little buggers as @Jay or @SRT100 can attest :)

15 hours ago, Vijy said:

With that said, my hot take is that I do not like to see tests finish in less than 3 days. Therefore, while I think Padosi pitches deserves harsher penalties, the rating for Bengaluru pitch was warranted. We need to stop producing effin bunsens all the time. let's prepare moderately turning pitches as much as possible (with some strategic exceptions). For instance, I really liked the ones we gave NZ in 2016-17.

Tests finished in 3 days because opposition was no match. We made decent scores everytime

14 hours ago, Vijy said:

if Ashwin can score runs including a ton,the pitches were fine

Except ofcourse pink ball Test where it skids on too fast and batsmen arent able to adjust to spin.

10 hours ago, rollingstoned said:

We haven't gotten it right in the pink ball tests that we have hosted so far. Even the one against Bangledesh in 2019 was a bunsen. But in general it does seem as if spin friendly pitches get a worse rap than overly swing/seam friendly ones. 

Most pink ball Tests have finished in 3 days all over the world.

Mohali pitch was ideal.  It had turn & good for batting.  Bangalore has turned into shite ever since the soil changed.  Almost costed us the series against Aussies in 2017. 

BCCI needs to hosts Test matches as grand venues like SENA teams.   Wankhede Eden Gardens..  Pune is a open Edgbaston type stadium.   Dharamsala is ideal venue against SC sides.  Chennai is either a rank Turner or a flatbed. 

Ahmedabad showed a bit of pace & bounce in recent WI ODI series.