Will the emergence of Umran Malik wake up the other IPL franchises to scout and buy genuine Indian pace bowlers instead of trundlers?

SecondSlip

KKR has already roped in Harshit Rana, the 20 year old quick from Delhi, as a replacement for Rasik Salam.

And they are promoting him as the quickest pacer from KKR.

He is tall and bouncy and got the award for the Swiggy Fastest Delivery of the match on debut.

So the process has started.

Edited by express bowling

It's a welcome change for sure, I don't remember any IPL were we had so many Indian bowlers who were hitting 90 mph and above.

Kuldeep, Umran, Mohsin, Yash, Khaleel, Prasidh, Nagarkoti, Simrajeet, Akashdeep, Harshit, Arshdeep, Vaibhav, Mukesh all have clocked 140 and above on multiple instances. 
Even the senior guns like Umesh, Shami, Bumrah are also touching 144 and matching with the youngsters.
On top of that we haven't even given chance to Kartik Tyagi, Rajvardhan who are again capable of bowling at high pace.

In comparison, we have less trundlers playing this year...Unadkut, Shardul, Sakariya, Rishi are the only ones which comes to my mind apart from Bhuvi.

1 hour ago, singhvivek141 said:

It's a welcome change for sure, I don't remember any IPL were we had so many Indian bowlers who were hitting 90 mph and above.

Kuldeep, Umran, Mohsin, Yash, Khaleel, Prasidh, Nagarkoti, Simrajeet, Akashdeep, Harshit, Arshdeep, Vaibhav, Mukesh all have clocked 140 and above on multiple instances. 
Even the senior guns like Umesh, Shami, Bumrah are also touching 144 and matching with the youngsters.
On top of that we haven't even given chance to Kartik Tyagi, Rajvardhan who are again capable of bowling at high pace.

In comparison, we have less trundlers playing this year...Unadkut, Shardul, Sakariya, Rishi are the only ones which comes to my mind apart from Bhuvi.

But now challenge is to produce such speeds in tests.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Bumrah crosses 90 mph rather frequently in tests. When he goes flat out, he often bowls 3 or 4 deliveries at 89 mph to 91 mph per over.

Shami and Umesh did the same till 2020 and 2017 respectively.  But now both are old and Fast-medium, although Shami did crank it up in the last SL test series. 

If we can introduce Prasidh and then Umran, to aid Bumrah, our test match pace attack will have loads of pace again. What we really need is the height and bounce of Prasidh 

Edited by express bowling

11 hours ago, express bowling said:

KKR has already roped in Harshit Rana, the 20 year old quick from Delhi, as a replacement for Rasik Salam.

And they are promoting him as the quickest pacer from KKR.

He is tall and bouncy and got the award for the Swiggy Fastest Delivery of the match on debut.

So the process has started.

that's a great news to read. 

i am sure you guys would have noted "fastest delivery awards" and showing that fastest delivery on TV man times.

every fast bowler who bowls the fastest being discussed. 

happy to note that focus on trundling is going down. i will be delighted if i notice harshal and bhuvi being dropped from all formats as i feel , slow ball can be effectively bowled by a fast bowler too.we don't need a professional slow bowler to take 1 position in 11.

irfan pathan was thrown out of team as soon as he started bowling slow. it was a right decision. suddenly one day he started bowling slow and he was asked to pack his bags and go home. don't remember who was the coach.

ishant sharma lost his pace and he was sidelined immediately. no point carrying bhuvi and Harshal now. 

12 hours ago, express bowling said:

Kuldeep Sen of RR is getting more limelight compared to other Indians who had bowled 138 k to 148 k in the past.

And it is the " Umran effect " too.

Many indian cricketers and foreign cricketers have talked about the REWA , MP Speed gun Kuldeep sen. 

Ashwin and Butler have called him very rapid. when we bat against some pacers and their balls hit our bat hard ,we get to feel the pace when ever the ball has not hit the sweet spot of the bat. fast balls are hardly visible and we have to bat with a bit of guess work and intelligent estimation, on green tracks some times the ball moves and then it becomes virtually impossible for batsman to face 145K+

144k+ pacers come into that zone , if they can maintain the right line n length , even the best international batsman will find the going tough.

the other day , dhoni was not able to touch 3 balls from Umran bowled in 18th over.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

They will be able to, provided we give them sufficient rest between matches and also play 5 bowlers.
Fast bowlers will be able to maintain pace if they bowl 18-23 overs (max) in a day. But we are using Shami and Bumrah in almost every test series, even against the likes of SL, WI as well.
That's where, I feel we need to restrict every bowler to 2 formats only. But since that's not gonna happen, we may need to play our premier bowlers with care.

1) Bumrah & Shami -> Play them against the top oppositions like England, Australia, SA, NZ
2) Prasidh, Umesh & Siraj -> Use and rotate one of them in combination with the first two depending on the conditions.
3) Umran, Kuldeep, Yash, Khaleel etc-> Identify, groom, rotate & play 2 of them against the likes of SL, WI, Bang, along with someone either from no.1 or no.2. Slowly move them to no.2 and then to no.1 if they show continuous improvement.
4) Shardul, Pandya, Chahar etc (bowling allrounders) -> Whom so ever is in form with the bat, fit and can bowl 12-16 overs a day can play in the SENA pitches. 

5 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

Many indian cricketers and foreign cricketers have talked about the REWA , MP Speed gun Kuldeep sen. 

Ashwin and Butler have called him very rapid. when we bat against some pacers and their balls hit our bat hard ,we get to feel the pace when ever the ball has not hit the sweet spot of the bat. fast balls are hardly visible and we have to bat with a bit of guess work and intelligent estimation, on green tracks some times the ball moves and then it becomes virtually impossible for batsman to face 145K+

144k+ pacers come into that zone , if they can maintain the right line n length , even the best international batsman will find the going tough.

the other day , dhoni was not able to touch 3 balls from Umran bowled in 18th over.

Whenever, I hear the city's name. My whole childhood flashes in front of my eyes. The city does had good amount of grounds and lot of enthusiastic kids, only issue was they never had any motivation due to lack of role models in that region. Hence, many kids who really were good in cricket left the game as they grew up because no one had any idea how to move ahead, not to mention the politics around.

Ishwar Pandey was first to join IPL and also India's squad, it was a big news then and the papers were filled with the headlines citing "Vindhya ka ladka ab rashtriya team se khelega". Ofcourse, he didn't get the success but he paved a path for the future generations. 

Yes rapid improvement....  However love for Boobie's Harshals Thakurs Unadkut Chahar's Sakariya among fans will only go away once these guys start getting chances in national side.  Lot more heavy lifting still required to completely finish trundler love. 

5 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Bumrah crosses 90 mph rather frequently in tests. When he goes flat out, he often bowls 3 or 4 deliveries at 89 mph to 91 mph per over.

Shami and Umesh did the same till 2020 and 2017 respectively.  But now both are old and Fast-medium, although Shami did crank it up in the last SL test series. 

If we can introduce Prasidh and then Umran, to aid Bumrah, our test match pace attack will have loads of pace again. What we really need is the height and bounce of Prasidh 

Absolutely. I know for a fact ummie and sen both bowl 140 plus even in tests. I saw ummie looked as quick as ever in SA A tour game. So yes he can and he will. 

Main pacers now:

Bumrah

Prasidh

Siraj

Shami for rotation. Old dog but still gold in alternate games.

Umesh for rotation. Had a good game in England but shocker in s.africa. cost us the game tbh with his waywardness. 

Backups:

Umran

Maybe kuldeep? Should get a look in. Bowling on dead pitches in India is different to sena. 

1 hour ago, vishalvirsingh said:

that's a great news to read. 

i am sure you guys would have noted "fastest delivery awards" and showing that fastest delivery on TV man times.

every fast bowler who bowls the fastest being discussed. 

happy to note that focus on trundling is going down. i will be delighted if i notice harshal and bhuvi being dropped from all formats as i feel , slow ball can be effectively bowled by a fast bowler too.we don't need a professional slow bowler to take 1 position in 11.

irfan pathan was thrown out of team as soon as he started bowling slow. it was a right decision. suddenly one day he started bowling slow and he was asked to pack his bags and go home. don't remember who was the coach.

ishant sharma lost his pace and he was sidelined immediately. no point carrying bhuvi and Harshal now. 

Imo if yoy aren't bowling 135-145 then you shouldn't be a front line bowler.

You can't be a number 9-11 without 135-145 pace. You have 2 options. Either try and aim for number 8 or 7 all rounder spots and improve batting alot. Be a 25 averaging batsman with 35 average in bowling 

Or your other option is be a decent batsman and focus on being a bounce based bowler at 125-135. WITH BOUNCE CONSISTENTLY. 

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Imo if yoy aren't bowling 135-145 then you shouldn't be a front line bowler.

You can't be a number 9-11 without 135-145 pace. You have 2 options. Either try and aim for number 8 or 7 all rounder spots and improve batting alot. Be a 25 averaging batsman with 35 average in bowling 

Or your other option is be a decent batsman and focus on being a bounce based bowler at 125-135. WITH BOUNCE CONSISTENTLY. 

Agree.

And even with Bounce bowlers, we have seen how dangerous they look when they bowl 135 k to 145 k .... Prasidh being a prime example among Indians and Cummins among the great pacers of this era.

5 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Agree.

And even with Bounce bowlers, we have seen how dangerous they look when they bowl 135 k to 145 k .... Prasidh being a prime example among Indians and Cummins among the great pacers of this era.

Take Wagner. Average speed? It is 127 128. I kid you not. 26 averaging bowler. 

Luke I said 2 options if you don't have pace of 135-145

1) be a competent batsman  with 25 average in batting and a Max of 35 for bowling. This is for thr AR number 7 and 8 spot.be a swing trundler or whatever. 

Or the better option.

2) be super fit and aim to be a bounce based bowler operating at 125 - 230 plus good batting. 

Otherwise quit bowling tbh. 

Edited by Jay

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Take Wagner. Average speed? It is 127 128. I kid you not. 26 averaging bowler. 

Luke I said 2 options if you don't have pace of 135-145

1) be a competent batsman  with 25 average in batting and a Max of 35 for bowling. This is for thr AR number 7 and 8 spot.be a swing trundler or whatever. 

Or the better option.

2) be super fit and aim to be a bounce based bowler operating at 125 - 230 plus good batting. 

Otherwise quit bowling tbh. 

Wagner isn't a bounce bowler. He just bowls bouncers. He is difficult to deal with because of variable pace in his bouncers and accuracy. McGrath was bounce bowler, Ambrose was bounce bounce bowlers. Not Neil Wagner.