Panchayat ( Amazon Web Series )

ravishingravi

I am not very updated on the latest content on Amazon or Netflix or any other platform. But I happen to come across Panchayat and it is a gem. As a huge fan of Malgudi days, I always wondered why there was not more content on life in countryside. It is really a different mind space and it would be interesting if this can be done authentically. On most counts, Panchayat is a success of simplicity in story telling, character development, dialogues and treatment. 

9 hours ago, jf1gp_1 said:

I didn't like last episode rest is fantastic 

Actually, Its last episode which hit me most to start thinking what the author and director were trying to say. May be its only me. So here is what writer has allmost very smartly passed on.

1. Sachivji is very well educated person who will most likely leave the village. He keeps comparing his earning with his own batchmates. He earns around 3.5 lakh while his firend is on over 1crore(1.5 creore) salary. Director has intentionally put those numbers.

2. Village has a big issue, A road. There is not enough budget with local MLA.  Cost of that Road is Rs 35 lakh. It will uplift life of every villager. Compare that with salary of his friend Siddharth

3. Now there is a message to local politicians, No need to insult Sachivji, Transferring him or anything isn't going to help. He is allready in a situation of that female dancer and atleast make it comfortable.

I missed all of above till that final episode where director/writter hit me with fact that its not just (re[placeable) food security, these villegers are giving lives on which we are living a comfortable Corporate life of Sidharth. Can we not atleast pay these villages 1/4th of what Sidharth gets paid

Edited by mishra

1 hour ago, mishra said:

Actually, Its last episode which hit me most to start thinking what the author and director were trying to say. May be its only me. So here is what writer has allmost very smartly passed on.

1. Sachivji is very well educated person who will most likely leave the village. He keeps comparing his earning with his own batchmates. He earns around 3.5 lakh while his firend is on over 1crore(1.5 creore) salary. Director has intentionally put those numbers.

2. Village has a big issue, A road. There is not enough budget with local MLA.  Cost of that Road is Rs 35 lakh. It will uplift life of every villager. Compare that with salary of his friend Siddharth

3. Now there is a message to local politicians, No need to insult Sachivji, Transferring him or anything isn't going to help. He is allready in a situation of that female dancer and atleast make it comfortable.

I missed all of above till that final episode where director/writter hit me with fact that its not just (re[placeable) food security, these villegers are giving lives on which we are living a comfortable Corporate life of Sidharth. Can we not atleast pay these villages 1/4th of what Sidharth gets paid

it does have a social message at its core, and is not merely light-hearted entertainment.

1 hour ago, mishra said:

Yes agree all that, but kind of extended the Rona dhona a bit more, ekta kapoor style . They could have curtailed it. But that doesn’t spoil the whole series, it’s brilliantly simple. Acting, direction  so nuanced. Where can I watch Gullak?

Just for my fav subject read this very ‘woke’ , review of the web series:

At the beginning of every episode of both the series of Panchayat, you find a board hanging outside the local government office stating the names of the officials — they have the surnames Dubey, Tripathi, and Shukla — all Brahmins. Immediately in every episode, enters another official with the surname Pandey, another Brahmin. Therefore, not subtly but rather staunchly, this board epitomises the crux of the show, whose plotline goes from one Brahmin to another. In this regard, the series is quite diverse. It has tried its level best to have adequate representation — of Brahmins.”

All across the two seasons, the show continues to be based in a Brahmin world and perpetuates an infantilising, misinforming, sexist, casteist upper-caste urban gaze on rural India. The sheer apathy and obstinate paucity of accountability that Abhishek Tripathy has towards rural India is an exclusive characteristic of privileged surnames such as his.”

Edited by coffee_rules

6 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Yes agree all that, but kind of extended the Rona dhona a bit more, ekta kapoor style . They could have curtailed it. But that doesn’t spoil the whole series, it’s brilliantly simple. Acting, direction  so nuanced. Where can I watch Gullak?

Just for my fav subject read this very ‘woke’ , review of the web series:

At the beginning of every episode of both the series of Panchayat, you find a board hanging outside the local government office stating the names of the officials — they have the surnames Dubey, Tripathi, and Shukla — all Brahmins. Immediately in every episode, enters another official with the surname Pandey, another Brahmin. Therefore, not subtly but rather staunchly, this board epitomises the crux of the show, whose plotline goes from one Brahmin to another. In this regard, the series is quite diverse. It has tried its level best to have adequate representation — of Brahmins.”

All across the two seasons, the show continues to be based in a Brahmin world and perpetuates an infantilising, misinforming, sexist, casteist upper-caste urban gaze on rural India. The sheer apathy and obstinate paucity of accountability that Abhishek Tripathy has towards rural India is an exclusive characteristic of privileged surnames such as his.”

May be woke is right. Author could have picked a SC dominated village or a OBC dominated village. But i fail to understand how that would have changed the story