Young batsman you are ready to back even if they dont avg good after 20-30 test

I think backing someone endlessly can be counter productive. Really dedicated, talented players won't take too much time to develop. If they don't develop in time either there is lack of dedication or interest. KL Rahul at one point was averaging 46 in Tests. Reeled out like 8 fifties in a row. We thought his only problem was conversion.  His technique was sliced and diced afterwards. He lost his place for good. Only reason he could come back was replacements didn't do justice. And his one LOI form improved. He has played 43 tests averaging 35.  That is poor. When you strike form you should make it count like Bairstow, Root, Mitchell, Blundell. you cannot score a 100 in one innings and go awol for next 3 innings. 

Players can be backed only if they are willing to improve. Kohli was keen on addressing his off stump issue and worked hard on it. It is a different matter he doesn't work hard now. But youngsters cannot take their place for granted just because management is backing you.

7 hours ago, Sandz said:

Yash Dhull is a good call, I have my doubts about Gill, IPL has ruined him, in fact I don’t have much hope about any of them becoming good test players, T20 will consume them all.

I believe Gill will become a good test player if he plays in the middle order. He is not meant for opening the batting. Just like the OP said once you have identified the talent, back them and be patient for few matches and play them regularly instead of chopping and changing.

You are spot on about IPL. Ipl can really hamper the technique and temperament of these young players. 

Apart from exceptions like Viv Richards almost all successful Test player had pretty solid defense. Sehwag/Pant despite dashers have a solid defense. Jadeja is successful in Tests these days due to his improved defensive technique. Ganguly during his second innings came back with vastly improved defense. Yuvraj for all his silky smooth drives had one of the worst defensive technique. He never cut it in Tests.  When Kohli was on a roll he was able to defend the ball on the front foot even if it was a short of a length delivery. He was able to somehow cover the line. Now his defense is gone for a toss. That is your basic. Rest come later.  

4 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

I think backing someone endlessly can be counter productive. Really dedicated, talented players won't take too much time to develop. If they don't develop in time either there is lack of dedication or interest. KL Rahul at one point was averaging 46 in Tests. Reeled out like 8 fifties in a row. We thought his only problem was conversion.  His technique was sliced and diced afterwards. He lost his place for good. Only reason he could come back was replacements didn't do justice. And his one LOI form improved. He has played 43 tests averaging 35.  That is poor. When you strike form you should make it count like Bairstow, Root, Mitchell, Blundell. you cannot score a 100 in one innings and go awol for next 3 innings. 

Players can be backed only if they are willing to improve. Kohli was keen on addressing his off stump issue and worked hard on it. It is a different matter he doesn't work hard now. But youngsters cannot take their place for granted just because management is backing you.

examples of AbD in particular, Ponting to an extent and both Yuvi and Hitman all run counter to this. Young players hitting the ground running and never having to ever look back is more the exception than the norm. I don't normally like appealing to authority but if the TM and selectors see a diamond in the rough that person deserves a longer rope and patience. Armchair experts online with their need for dopamine and catharsis may not necessarily be in the best position to sit on such judgement. 

We seriously need to have a look at our domestic if ,vihari and iyer are averaging 60's and 50's, been saying this,our batters aren't as talented as they are said to be,also a lot of players lack hunger,work ethics,astuteness most importantly grit and technique to succeed in test,look at Kohli for instance he hasn't looked to rectify his issues,iyer, hasn't worked on his weakness, siraj is still struggling with his wrists.to Bhai kaha se jeetoge 

32 minutes ago, vayuu1 said:

We seriously need to have a look at our domestic if ,vihari and iyer are averaging 60's and 50's, been saying this,our batters aren't as talented as they are said to be,also a lot of players lack hunger,work ethics,astuteness most importantly grit and technique to succeed in test,look at Kohli for instance he hasn't looked to rectify his issues,iyer, hasn't worked on his weakness, siraj is still struggling with his wrists.to Bhai kaha se jeetoge 

domestic is telling you the right thing only that in these conditions those 2 wud be high scorer which they are. 

• How is ranji suppose to tell you how they ll fare against kookabura or dukes in different conditions when we play with SG in home conditions?
  • How many can test iyer with short stuff in ranji that he is suppose to fix that issue going back to domestic ?? I asked the same thing when ppl said hardik shud go back to domestic n sought his hard length issue , well how many in domestic can bowl that high pace hard length ?? 

Its selectors who need to have an eye for the game that can last long at internatiional rather then seeing stats. 

Some people are saying Gill will come good if he bats at 5 or 6. I dont really agree. He has technical issues and plays away from his body quite a lot and he doesnt know where his off stump is. He will struggle in conditions where there is even slight amount of lateral movement like England, SA or NZ.

It doesnt matter if he is opening or bats in middle order. He doesnt even have the basics right. Best would be for him to go back to FC and maybe spend a season in county cricket and fix his technical issues, because he has no chance of doing well in test cricket with his current technical issues.

Shreyas Iyer has obvious technical issues against short pitch bowling. Its shocking how he can average 52 and score 5000 runs in FC while being so poor against the short ball. Just goes to show our FC system needs to improve a lot . Still there are lot of mediocre teams and players and even those doing well are not being tested enough. 

Vihari is a no stroke wonder. He has good defense technique and can survive when there is some movement but he doesnt have the game to put pressure back on to the bowlers. He is Pujara lite, as Pujara can atleast play his style of game for 200 balls if needed but Vihari cant sustain that for an extended period of time. When he tries to get into second gear, he always gets out after scoring 15-20 runs which is never good enough in test cricket.

I wud like to see how Sarfaraz khan does against good quality attacks..he is plundering lot of runs is domestic at the moment

Gill in middle order

couple of more domestic seasons from Y Jaiswal..if he is consistent then make a call about him..ask him to bowl more leg spinners too

Wasnt aware Sundar had such a good avg..needs a look in as well

Patidar is in good form too..

Ruturaj is good too..I assume T20 has caused him to give away his wickets..else if he is bit tight early on can do well in Tests

Shaw..however attractive he is..he may lack consistency in SENA countries

I prefer to give guys in good form a chance..as that may help them develop a level higher in international cricket or we know what their quality is..

None of them.

Gill: appears to be comfortable while playing bounce, but has clear technical issues vs swing and spin

Shaw: tendency to hack at balls outside off; rash shots and weak defense vs spin; unfit; not sure about temperament

Sundar: no obvious weaknesses so far, but body is made of porcelain

Sarfaraz: clearly suited for SC, not tested enough outside SC [most promising of the uncapped players IMO]

Ind batting is so bad that I don't think anyone deserves a consistent run. might be better to just pick whoever is in form at the moment and hope/pray for the best. worst Ind batting since 1960s.