Md Siraj : Can he be our next multiformat star bowler ?

Number

Kapil

Srinath

Zaheer

Shami

Bumrah

At the moment, these 5 have been all format bowlers for India, Tests and ODIs particularly. Siraj can be the 6th candidate if he can attain 200 test wickets and put up good numbers in ODIs in the next few years.

Agarkar was good in ODIs, Pathan had a downfall after good few years, V Prasad was a good support bowler to Srinath and Ishant was good in Tests overseas. Umesh also good in Tests at home. 

1 hour ago, Majestic said:

Peak rating for Shami vs Siraj?

Nevertheless, Siraj has been exceptional vs everyone in absence of Bumrah as strike bowler.

Shami's highest is no. 9 in ODIs

Its that attitude of spearhead that's lacking in these guys. Siraj has that

18 minutes ago, Lord said:

Shami's highest is no. 9 in ODIs

Its that attitude of spearhead that's lacking in these guys. Siraj has that

I was referring to peak rating.. These days a lot of players particularly pacers skip games so top bowlers will not sustain no 1 spot. That's also why it is easy for someone like Babar/Rizwan to sustain no 1 ranking in ODIs or T20s.

9 hours ago, putrevus said:

Who is better bowler in your opinion, Siraj or Shaheen.

Shaheen is very good with the new ball. Specially first 4-5 overs. His consistency in delivering wicket taking balls is unmatchable in that period of play.

Other than that Siraj edges him.

2 hours ago, Number said:

Shaheen is very good with the new ball. Specially first 4-5 overs. His consistency in delivering wicket taking balls is unmatchable in that period of play.

Other than that Siraj edges him.

Siraj should be given the new ball even in tests. Bumrah and siraj. Shami/umesh and potentially prasidh should come in as the third bowler. He'll you could even open with siraj and prasidh and bring in bumrah as first change.

There was a time in Pakistani cricket that even an average bowler used to perform above average because of world class bowlers bowling alongside. Shaheen does not have that. Shaheen is absolutely top notch. His height and the fact that he is left arm, makes him deadly. His pace is also pretty good mostly. 

My take is, in the longer run, Siraj will get more help and Shaheen will have to bear the brunt of carrying the whole team.. Much like Srinath. That will stunt his growth. 

Siraj and Shaheen both are unplayable. Not fair to judge them because both bring their unique qualities to the game. However, Siraj will be looked after much better and hence I believe, in the longer run, Siraj will shine.

5 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

There was a time in Pakistani cricket that even an average bowler used to perform above average because of world class bowlers bowling alongside. Shaheen does not have that. Shaheen is absolutely top notch. His height and the fact that he is left arm, makes him deadly. His pace is also pretty good mostly. 

My take is, in the longer run, Siraj will get more help and Shaheen will have to bear the brunt of carrying the whole team.. Much like Srinath. That will stunt his growth. 

Siraj and Shaheen both are unplayable. Not fair to judge them because both bring their unique qualities to the game. However, Siraj will be looked after much better and hence I believe, in the longer run, Siraj will shine.

Left arm is overrated. It's a huge disadvantage when ball stops swinging especially in tests.

6 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Shaheen outside new ball has been a **** show so no. He never is and won't be as good as siraj In tests. In twanty twanty perhaps yes. In odi Lel even there it's questionable. Only reason shaheen may look good vs our batsmen is due our piss poor batsments inability to play left arm swing at pace. 

There Is this fodder in pakpassion named redwoodoriginial salah. 

He proclaimed that naseem shah is going to be this next big thing in tests Lel. Ungodly talent. Ethereal talent lol. Bakwas kahika salah. Dud cannon fodder is what he is in tests. Mediocre odi bowler and perfect for twanty twanty 4 bit part over comps. 

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

Left arm is overrated. It's a huge disadvantage when ball stops swinging especially in tests.

Its the angle, not the swing I am talking about. I dont think left arm can be a disadvantage ever, it takes some time to get used to a left armer bowling at you at decent pace.

25 minutes ago, speedracer said:

Shaheen outside new ball has been a **** show so no. He never is and won't be as good as siraj In tests. In twanty twanty perhaps yes. In odi Lel even there it's questionable. Only reason shaheen may look good vs our batsmen is due our piss poor batsments inability to play left arm swing at pace. 

I think the topic is about multidimensional bowlers, not just limited to Test. I have not seen Shaheen's stats in Tests, but perhaps lack of quality from the other end may be affecting his performance. In any event, Pakistan is poor in Tests.

On 1/27/2023 at 5:29 PM, rkt.india said:

That's because left arm fast bowlers don't use around the wickets line to RHB's once ball stops swinging and get stumps into play. You rarely see any left arm fast bowler do that consistently in Tests and , hence, their threat diminishes once the ball gets older

They are absolutely worth their weight in gold in LOI's though regardless of which side of stumps they bowl from. The trajectories are harder to track for RHB's to consistently line up and hit.

Edited by Nikhil_cric