‘Some people are bigger than laws and spirit of cricket’: Ex-ICC umpire Daryl Harper on MS Dhoni

Tillu

Former ICC umpire Daryl Harper has criticized MS Dhoni for his "deliberate time-wasting tactic" during a match, reigniting an old feud between the two

. Harper believes that "some people are bigger than laws or in this case, the spirit of cricket"

. The laws of cricket clearly explain the expectations of how participants will behave on the field, and they also outline sanctions should these expectations not be met

. Cricket is a game that owes much of its unique appeal to the fact that it should be played not only within its Laws but also within the Spirit of the Game

. The Spirit of the Game involves respect for your opponents, your own captain and team, the role of the umpires, the game, and its traditional values

. It is against the Spirit of the Game to show a lack of respect for the spirit of cricket and for the directions of the umpires

https://www.mid-day.com/sports/cricket/article/some-people-are-bigger-than-the-laws-and-spirit-of-cricket-23288691

Dhoni is the most entitled Cricketer ever to play international cricket. The guy can do anything and will be praised by his fans and commies on the name of masterstroke. It was obviously intentional,they were chit chatting for 4 minutes with all the players surrounding the 2 umpires. Bhogle mentioned that clock should have stopped there and not counted Pathirana's time. Harper is Bang on about Dhongi.

6 hours ago, zen said:

If MSD delayed on purpose, it was childish but in India, many folks will hail it as a good tactics, brilliance, or whatever

If MSD was delaying it, it was the responsibility of the umpires to ask him to move on and resume the game.

4 minutes ago, bowl_out said:

If MSD was delaying it, it was the responsibility of the umpires to ask him to move on and resume the game.

yeah, but you would expect Dhoni to respect the laws (if he did that). Otherwise, it would like blaming the police rather than the thief for the theft (I know Gavaskar has blamed the umpires in his Dhoni worship) 

2 hours ago, zen said:

yeah, but you would expect Dhoni to respect the laws (if he did that). Otherwise, it would like blaming the police rather than the thief for the theft (I know Gavaskar has blamed the umpires in his Dhoni worship) 

100%. I mentioned before about his antics. This guy could be involved in a manslaughter case but he would still be absolved from blame because that's how insane these Dhoni fanboys are. 

2 hours ago, zen said:

Agree. But It is weird that the umpire just let him waste time like that

Dhoni started the non accountable stardom based on a WC win- he changed the nature of Indian captaincy of one where you hold the  power due to the brand and financial revenue associated with you disgregarding anything and everything that could hold you accountable and be treated like any other player. Kohli and Rohit have carrier it on and I’m sure whoever will be the all format captain next will have the same attitude